Not open for further replies.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Looking at different vaping-related calculators online inspired me to throw one together of my own.

This calculator is for making coils (my latest craze), but I also plan on adding a DIY e-juice calculator later on (if the response is positive, and people are interested). The lofty long term goal is to have everything (vape related calculations) in one place. Anyway, enough talk, here it is:

http://tidsbanken.no/lars-temp/vapecalc.htm

The calculator is javascript driven, and is supposed to work in real time without page refreshes. All is in one file (except jQuery and Bootstrap) to keep loading quick and light. If anyone finds an error, or want something added (or removed or changed), please give me a word, and I'll seriously consider it. :) I will appreciate any feedback, both positive and negative.

Last edited:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Thanks for all the nice feedback. Based on the reception, I will definitely add more features. :) Inner diameter and number of coils should be easy, but I wonder how to treat the legs? Maybe a set of default leg lengths for different types of attys, to be subtracted from the coil part of the wire?

So the figures in the ohms law calculator are supposed to change as you input new numbers? I'm not getting any feedback. I make changes and nothing happens.

Yes, they are supposed to update when one of the input fields changes. They are triggered either by you leaving the field after typing in new numbers, or when you click the up/down arrows. Which browser (and version) are you using? Not sure if it is compatible with IE8 and older, but that can be fixed if it is a problem.

Last edited:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Yes, they are supposed to update when one of the input fields changes. They are triggered either by you leaving the field after typing in new numbers, or when you click the up/down arrows. Which browser (and version) are you using? Not sure if it is compatible with IE8 and older, but that can be fixed if it is a problem.

I see now it will calculate if i click somewhere on the page after changing the numbers, but I don't see any up/down arrows. I'm using IE9.

Last edited:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I see now it will calculate if i click somewhere on the page after changinging the numbers, but I don't see any up/down arrows. I'm using IE9.

Ok. IE9 probably doesn't fully support the new HTML5 "numbers" input type, hence the lack of arrows. No big deal, since it's still possible to use the fields in the "old" way.

I can make it recalculate on every keypress, but I don't see much of a point in doing so, because it will only lead to lots of nonsensical calculations while typing.

I have now mentioned it in the help text instead ("press Enter or click outside the field to recalculate"). Btw, here is a screenshot of how it looks in Chrome.

Attachments

• vapecalc-screenshot.jpg
    vapecalc-screenshot.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

atcsat64

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2014
Near San Antonio, Texas, USA
Thanks for all the nice feedback. Based on the reception, I will definitely add more features. :) Inner diameter and number of coils should be easy, but I wonder how to treat the legs? Maybe a set of default leg lengths for different types of attys, to be subtracted from the coil part of the wire?

Yes, set default lengths. I just started rebuilding coils and you have to determine total resistance AFTER cutting legs flush to battery contacts (hence rendering this calculator a guessing game). For me, number of wraps and at what diameter are important. Keep up the good work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread