The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I made a calculator

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by Dampmaskin, Feb 10, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dampmaskin

Dampmaskin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    Looking at different vaping-related calculators online inspired me to throw one together of my own.

This calculator is for making coils (my latest craze), but I also plan on adding a DIY e-juice calculator later on (if the response is positive, and people are interested). The lofty long term goal is to have everything (vape related calculations) in one place. Anyway, enough talk, here it is:

http://tidsbanken.no/lars-temp/vapecalc.htm

The calculator is javascript driven, and is supposed to work in real time without page refreshes. All is in one file (except jQuery and Bootstrap) to keep loading quick and light. If anyone finds an error, or want something added (or removed or changed), please give me a word, and I'll seriously consider it. :) I will appreciate any feedback, both positive and negative.

2. Glenn_K

Glenn_K Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2013
    Toronto
    Greetings, welcome to the forum.

Your calculator looks great! I haven't run any numbers through it yet, but it's awesome having a single interactive page that pulls together both oHms law stuff and build specs. Well done!

-- Glenn

3. zanedog

zanedog Moved On

Jan 28, 2014
    Alberta
    awesome, bookmarked!

4. davinthedude

davinthedude New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Virgina Beach, VA
    This is going to be infinitely useful. Much better than downloading a program when this is available with one click.

Much thanks!

5. Charon

Charon Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2014
    Indiana
    For clarification, as I'm new to the concept, but wanting to step up to recoiling my clearo heads soon:

Is coil length the total length of wire (as if straigtened) involved to meet the desired result?

6. Dampmaskin

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    Yes, it is the total length of resistance wire, while the wire is straight, before you coil it up. I have now made an attempt to clarify the help text.

7. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 4, 2013
    Scranton, Pa USA
    Looks pretty good..... It would be nice to have an all in one tool all in one place. Thank you

8. Charon

Charon Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 4, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for that. From that it should be easy to calculate coil ID and number of wraps needed. I have to do similar number running for my hobby/business, but usually nobody explodes if I'm a little bit off. ;>

Though if that feature gets tossed in at some point too, it would be awesome.

9. coonan

coonan Full Member

Dec 14, 2013
    West central Michigan
    It is great looking forward to the diy cal

10. olefolks

olefolks Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 16, 2013
    Lewisville, TX, USA
    This is great, thanks Damp. Just saying.

11. bacc.vap

bacc.vap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2011
    Virtualville
    So the figures in the ohms law calculator are supposed to change as you input new numbers? I'm not getting any feedback. I make changes and nothing happens.

12. gabriel06

gabriel06 Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Singapore
    Thanks for this awesome sharing !

13. Dampmaskin

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    Thanks for all the nice feedback. Based on the reception, I will definitely add more features. :) Inner diameter and number of coils should be easy, but I wonder how to treat the legs? Maybe a set of default leg lengths for different types of attys, to be subtracted from the coil part of the wire?

Yes, they are supposed to update when one of the input fields changes. They are triggered either by you leaving the field after typing in new numbers, or when you click the up/down arrows. Which browser (and version) are you using? Not sure if it is compatible with IE8 and older, but that can be fixed if it is a problem.

14. BillyHill

BillyHill Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 29, 2014
    Big Lick
    Thanks. Very useful and easy to use. Great job!

15. hardcyder

hardcyder Senior Member Verified Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Trenton Ontario CA.
    Great layout and VERY useful. Good job. Keep it up.:toast:

16. bacc.vap

May 18, 2011
    Virtualville
    I see now it will calculate if i click somewhere on the page after changing the numbers, but I don't see any up/down arrows. I'm using IE9.

17. bacc.vap

May 18, 2011
    Virtualville
    @ Dampmaskin

Would it be possible for you to post a screen shot, so I can see if everything is coming up properly on my computer?

18. Dampmaskin

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    Ok. IE9 probably doesn't fully support the new HTML5 "numbers" input type, hence the lack of arrows. No big deal, since it's still possible to use the fields in the "old" way.

I can make it recalculate on every keypress, but I don't see much of a point in doing so, because it will only lead to lots of nonsensical calculations while typing.

I have now mentioned it in the help text instead ("press Enter or click outside the field to recalculate"). Btw, here is a screenshot of how it looks in Chrome.

Attached Files:

19. atcsat64

atcsat64 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Yes, set default lengths. I just started rebuilding coils and you have to determine total resistance AFTER cutting legs flush to battery contacts (hence rendering this calculator a guessing game). For me, number of wraps and at what diameter are important. Keep up the good work!!

20. SoberSnyper

SoberSnyper Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Maurice, La.
    You do know there is an app called Vaper's Toolbox on Google Play that does the same thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.