Not open for further replies.

100%VG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
Starbase 12 near Risa
It was mostly puzzling, to be honest.

Maybe the PDFs I posted will help you, but they aren't speaking for TEMCo. I don't think the one you posted is, either. But for me, the calculator is working very well, and I use Kanthal A1 from TEMCo. You have to stay with what works best overall, at least until you can find better specs for TEMCo's Kanthals. If you ever do, or you can successfully "reverse engineer" those numbers adequately, then maybe you could add TEMCo products in the Material and profile dropdown menu where the various Vendors may be selected as well, to set the Specific Resistivity as necessary. Or have a Vendor dropdown that changes the Material and profile dropdown. However, I wouldn't expect or ask for that, because I'm sure it would entail a lot of work on your part.

I am still so very thankful for the calculator and all your hard work!!! :thumbs:

Another possibility is that maybe some people were not using Kanthal A1, and did not select the right Kanthal from the dropdown menu, or did not select Ribbon or Twisted instead of Round.

I just noticed that you have SS and Titanium there, too. Looks like you have changed the page layout since yesterday as well. Seems you are continually doing things to make it better! Thanks for all you do for us!!!
:toast:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Cheers guys.

There's a new feature in the juice calculator: Add flavorings by percent.

flavoring.jpg

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I have a Sigielei Zmax and just started using it with stacked batteries. With this and the new 100 and 150 watt boxes using dual batteries, is there an easy way to show this in the battery drain tab?

Also in the mod range, you have Vamo stacked, but it still shows the numbers for a single battery.

Thanks

In the battery calculator, you can set the voltage to 8.4 instead of 4.2, double the mAh rating, and cut the C value in half. That ought to do it for the amp limit section.

For the runtime numbers to be correct, don't half the C value.

I may add a checkbox for stacked batteries at some point in the future.

I removed the stacked Vamo from the mod range calculator. Those particular numbers weren't very certain anyway.

----
By the way, here is some new content:

Choosing the right USB charger for your mod

It is not calculator related, but I wrote it in order to clear up some misconceptions, which is a big part of what Steam Engine is all about anyway.

Last edited:

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
Thanks for keeping me safe.

This weekend we visited my daughter and family in Orange county California. I had to emergency rewick my wife's RSST with rayon because of gunk. She has one 18350 mech that I build the coil at around 2 ohms. When I finished the wick, the top leg of the coil broke off. I had extra wick but no wire. I unwound one coil and reattached it to the post. Checked it on an MVP at 1.6 ohms. Before she used it I went on my daughter's Mac and looked up this thread. Ran the numbers on the battery drain tab to make sure the amps would be safe. With the recent story of the exploding battery in nearby Santa Ana CA, I didn't need to have an incident.

Thumbs up to you sir.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
It was mostly puzzling, to be honest.

As you may be aware, the calculator does not look up the resistance in a table, but calculates it from the specific resistivity (which is looked up in a table, one value for each wire material), the length of the wire, and the cross section area of the wire. All the sources that I've found, that state the specific resistivity of Kanthal™ A-1, agree that the number is 1.45 ohm mm2/m (at 20 degrees C, which is the standard temperature for specifications, which I think is OK since Kanthal has an almost negligible temperature coefficient of resistance at the temperatures relevant to vaping).

The Temco source has a narrower scope; some specific gauges of Kanthal A-1 wire from a specific manufacturer. I suspect that their number may either contain some rounding error(s) from their own calculation, or perhaps more likely, is based on measurements of their actual wires, which are probably subject to slight variations or idiosyncracies in their manufacturing process, or simply in the way Temco determine their specifications.

If I was to use Temco's numbers in the coil calculator, I would have to "reverse engineer" their stats in order to figure out a specific resistivity for the material. This I feel would introduce even more potential for rounding errors, and perhaps make the calculator less accurate in regards to Kanthal A-1 from other manufacturers.

What it boils down to, is that I don't know what factors Temco may have taken into their number. Therefore I would feel less comfortable using it, than the more "ideal" or general number that I've found elsewhere.
Lars, will you put GPLAT wire into the calc? Would be great.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I've started working on a calculator for computing TFR curves for combined coils, like twisting Ni200 with Titanium, or Kanthal with Resistherm. Feel free to have a peek here. (Warning: This is very much a work in progress, the user interface leaves much to be desired, and I cannot guarantee the correctness of anything yet.)

Reactions: atroph
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread