I want to see your RM2 tootle puffin coil builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
I've moved on to dual sub ohm, with deep Yoga like lung inhales and I make dirty coils that are not wound tight against each other. They work as well as when I was fussy about really tight coils. I know what you mean though, some folks here make picture perfect coils and are like fine art.

Reactions: oplholik

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
With my five year old flip phone, pictures never happen. I wrap 1.2 to 1.4 Ohm single coils with twisted wire. I use a screw to space the wraps neatly. Then I leave the coil on the screw until the coils are tightened down and positioned right. Then I slowly back the screw out, burn gently and wick it. Pretty, but I don't think it vapes any better than my old sloppy coils. The RM2 is a great atty.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
I have been running a 1.0 ohm build on both my RM2 and Nuppin'
Twisted 30g wire, 7 wrap, 2.5mm mandrel, 3mm RxW
My Hornet at 1.0 ohm as well but with small chamber I have 29g wire, non twisted, 7 wrap, 16g needle, 2mm RxW.
With the RxW as wicking I have had the same build for going on 2 months now. Just dry burns every few days.:vapor:

Reactions: Robinowitz

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I did this coil last nite, much better. Since breaking my hip, and having surgery, and not being able to get out and do much, I needed something to fuss over. :) Also made a little holder for the small screw drivers and a couple mandrels. The holder has a couple large metal washers hot glued in the inside for a little weight.

Attachments

• P1020293.JPG
    P1020293.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P1020294.JPG
    P1020294.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 93
  • P1020296.JPG
    P1020296.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Looks good to me! Haven't had a moment to Un-wick and take a pic of one of mine yet. Ours look very similar. I use 28 ga., 6/7 wraps, 2.5. You? Legs look good similar but am listening for others' feedback as I'm always wanting to improve. It's hard not to get too long in the leg department AND also successfully getting coil to outermost edge. So glad you posted this. Here's to hoping you heal quickly!
I'm intrigued with the twisted Rudy. What are the pros and cons over non-twisted? (Haven't tried twisted).

Last edited:

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Looks good to me! Haven't had a moment to Un-wick and take a pic of one of mine yet. Ours look very similar. I use 28 ga., 6/7 wraps, 2.5. You? Legs look good similar but am listening for others' feedback as I'm always wanting to improve. It's hard not to get too long in the leg department AND try to get coil to outermost edge. So glad you posted this Here's to hoping you heal quickly!
I'm intrigued with the twisted Rudy. What are the pros and cons over non-twisted? (Haven't tried twisted).

The coil is 30g, 6 wraps on a 2mm mandrel, and it meters 1.47Ω.
I have never tried twisted either. I did try twisting some wire, but never actually used it. What I use works good enough for me, and it's simple. :)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Nice looking coil and a great hack for a tool stand :toast:

I find twisted does two things for me...

1) It seems to bump up the flavour. I've read that this is because of the extra surface contact with juice that the convolutions of the twisting allows.

2) It's a great way to get to lower resistance in a single coil (may not be what you're looking for). Because it's essentially a parallel coil, the ohmage is half of the same coil made to the same specs (wrap count, diameter, etc).

It works great in atties that lend themselves to single coils exclusively (RM2, Chalice, for example) and it also works well in more extreme builds (eg, dual twisted coils in a Vector).

Our own Danny B has a video on twisting wire by hand if you wanted to give it a quick try:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Who doesn't own a drill?? I guess it's a fix for people on the go away from home.

The older I get the better I get at procrastination. I think I may have achieved master level when it comes to twisting wire for coils though.
:thumb:

Early on I twisted my wires with no store bought tools at all, just used my fingers. Held the pre twisted raw ends between thumb/index finger left hand, used right index finger through loop and just "wound it up" letting the loop spin around that finger. Was faster than going over to storage to hunt for one of my drill motors. Worked good enough until I started doing compound twists. Still procrastinating, I started using paperclips cut and bent into shape to chuck in a small compact hand drill, a 4" pair of vise grips, and one of my the machinists vises that always sits on my vape bench in the house. Lock the raw wire ends in, tension and crank away.

It's what I use in the house for anything that needs to be drilled... including to enlarge atty intake holes, have even bf'd atty's with it. Can you tell yet that I really, really, really hate going over to storage (where I probably have a 4-5 drill motors, a couple of full size hand drills, 2-3 braces, both floor and bench drill presses, a Foredom w/foot rheostat and enough kinds of large drill bit sets with extras to drill just about anything).
;)
My wire twister... no batteries needed.
2spytwister.jpg

K31Scout

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2014
Northern MI USA
I did this coil last nite, much better. Since breaking my hip, and having surgery, and not being able to get out and do much, I needed something to fuss over. :) Also made a little holder for the small screw drivers and a couple mandrels. The holder has a couple large metal washers hot glued in the inside for a little weight.

Nice looking coils! Hoping for a speedy recovery from your surgery.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Looking pretty neat ENAUD. What gauge, dia., is that coil, looks to be 7 wraps?
Thanks opl, it's 30ga. and wrapped on a 3/32" drill bit. I just position them and pulse to heat and squish with tweezers when I let off the button. Then I kind of man handle the coil to line up with the hole, crude, but it seems to work..lol

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Looks good to me! Haven't had a moment to Un-wick and take a pic of one of mine yet. Ours look very similar. I use 28 ga., 6/7 wraps, 2.5. You? Legs look good similar but am listening for others' feedback as I'm always wanting to improve. It's hard not to get too long in the leg department AND also successfully getting coil to outermost edge. So glad you posted this. Here's to hoping you heal quickly!

Papa summed it up nicely!
Basically cuts the resistance in half with same number of wraps around same size mandrel. Great for smaller chamber atties and if you're not into dual coils.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Neat tool.. though it's not the first time I've heard you mention hating to dig for a tool.. sounds like it's long over due to clean out the garage/shed.. good winter project?

It's a large storage garage (not where I live) that'll be my sons problem after I am gone, not mine. My workshop stuff from a three bay shop I used to have at the ranch house... endless tools and supplies for wood working, machine work, gunsmithing/reloading, auto mechanics, electronics, sporting goods, etc, and the Corvette. Don't remember exactly when, but I haven't been in there for 2-3 years. None of it is part of my life anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread