Dragon Coil (iTEO's) on RM2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
This is from iTEO's dragon coil thread but on an RM2 and with a different "wick" than a cotton bed.

This is a 10 wrap 28 gauge coil on (i think) a 16 gauge or possibly 18 gauge needle. Ohms out at .8 ohms
photo 6.jpg

Sorry the pics are rotated, stupid iphone. This is How I mount the coil. Notice the coil is shifted away from the feed hole toward the wall, and lifted up so it is at the same height as the airhole
photo 7.jpg
photo 8.jpg

For the Wick, the wick goes around the coil, similar to the way a cartomizer works. Take about a 2" length of peaches and cream thread, double it over and push the folded end under the coil, away from the feed hole. Then bring the legs of the yarn over the top of the coil and into the loop, making a loose girth hitch.
photo 1.jpg

Notice the needle is still in the coil, this prevents ruining the coil int he next step. Rotate the legs back over the coil, the whole loop will move with it, and cinch down, carefully, on the knot till it is snug and relatively tight on the coil. use tweezers to squeeze the knot so the holes in teh ends of the coil are just visible, ie if you remove the needle you can look through the coil from both ends.
photo 2.jpg

Cont.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
If the juice hole is 12 o'clock, then the air hole is at about 9 o'clock

the airhole lines up more or less the direction of the needle (the yellow end).

Vapor production is good, more than my micro coil I was using previously (same ohms, same wire, same wick). You can fine tune the location of the airhole by incrementally adjusting the cap till you hit the sweetspot.

This takes slightly longer than a microcoil to wick. To unwick, i just take a pair of cuticle scissors and cut the top piece of yarn (with the needle in). I can usually take about 5-6 drags with this setup between squonks.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
Been wanting to try a dragon coil on my RM2....(looks similar to 'poop in a diaper' build doesnt it..?)

Can u compare the vape to a standard Micro coil setup...?
I know Iteo used just a bed of cotton under his coil, u did'nt like that? or is this performing better for u...?

No experience with building dragon coils (yet), but I would imagine this way of wicking would work better especially in the rm2. With a bed of cotton on the deck the juice would probably tend to not drain as well and end up pooling, whereas this way the wicking material is up off the deck - proper drainage, fresher juice, and all the billowing clouds of sweet sweet vapor off this sick style.
I'll have to give this a shot.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Been wanting to try a dragon coil on my RM2....(looks similar to 'poop in a diaper' build doesnt it..?)

Can u compare the vape to a standard Micro coil setup...?
I know Iteo used just a bed of cotton under his coil, u did'nt like that? or is this performing better for u...?

I can't tell if this is directed at me . . .. . this little Mundy setup I did certainly isn't typical of nano/dragon style builds. I don't want to form any generalized opinions based on it.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
No experience with building dragon coils (yet), but I would imagine this way of wicking would work better especially in the rm2. With a bed of cotton on the deck the juice would probably tend to not drain as well and end up pooling, whereas this way the wicking material is up off the deck - proper drainage, fresher juice, and all the billowing clouds of sweet sweet vapor off this sick style.
I'll have to give this a shot.

Youre right.

Im liking this better than the standard micro coil setup.

The air goes through the coil, it follows the path of the needle, rather than over it.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
OK, so I felt the need to make a proper one (or as close as I can get, given my lack of experience with these things). I ended up doing two. The first (pictured) was .9Ω on a .95mm bit and used 28 Kanthal. The second was .35Ω and used 25g Kanthl. The second only served to highlight, or emphasize, the characteristics which I found in the .9Ω build.

I would say (IMHO) that this type of build is ideal for someone who isn't getting "enough flavor". A large part of that, however, is sweetness. Less so are the margins, or harmonics, of the flavor spectrum. This build is heavy on the middle tones. It's very full, but, like I said, very sweet. What I'm missing in it is the almost indescribable elements that bring a more 3D flavor package. Those, crudely put, are the deepest bass notes, the treble notes and the overtones above those, and the Throat Hit. Vapor production wise, it's fine. Quite good. I was already getting plenty of vapor production with the builds I was using; so I'm not seeing an increase. But the clouds are there.

Also, pretty much as I suspected, the Mundy wire didn't necessarily apply itself to the physics of this build. However, it brought stuff to the party that was as good as what the basic principles here have to offer. I guess, in the end, I'm just an extroverted-coil Mundyphile.

Fun stuff tho! definitely worth exploring.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I've tried a couple of dragon coils...you need to make them nano-coil sized to really get the jet effect. I get a nice smooth vape with tons of vapor but I don't get the flavor I get from a standard micro-coil or a 3/4 wrap of Mundy's Magic. I do eight wraps around a paperclip that ends up in the .8 (ish) range.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I guess I am not building correctly. I get better flavor, but half the vapor production. Using 1/16 drill bit 28g kanthal 1.0 ohm.
View attachment 268819

Cant really see it very well, but it looks like your coil is in between the posts, and not very close to where the airhole would be. Have you tried moving the whole coil back or forward to be closer to the atty wall? Also make sure the coil is at the same height as the airhole cant tell from the pic.

Also it doesnt look like your wick touches the base anywhere, is it low enough to get saturated when you squonk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread