Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noevilstar

Senior Member<br>CASAA Board Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Union City, NJ
casaa.org
Indiana Senator Brandt Hershman has introduced a bill (SB 384) that would impose a tax on nicotine contained in e-cigarette liquid. Although the tax rate, $0.0083 per mg of nicotine, may seem modest, the imposition of any taxes on vapor products beyond state sales tax sends the dangerous and false message to smokers that use of these products is risky or harmful. Adoption of this bill will also set a dangerous precedent as it is always easier for politicians to raise a preexisting tax than it is to pass a new tax.

Representative Clyde Kersey has introduced a bill (HB 1169) that alters the state’s definition of “smoking” to include “...inhalation or exhalation of vapors from an electronic cigarette.” Despite the long list of exemptions to Indiana’s smoking law, HB 1169 does not amend any of them to account for independent vapor retailers. Regardless of any language along these lines that may develop, CASAA opposes this bill on the grounds that defining “vaping” as “smoking” is a deliberate misrepresentation that harms public awareness of the benefits these products offer to adult smokers.

**Please note: We are currently monitoring additional legislation in Indiana. A punitive and destructive 24% wholesale tax has been proposed. However, no bill has been introduced nor has draft language been made available. As soon as we have details we will issue an update for this Call to Action.

- http://blog.casaa.org/2015/01/indiana-call-to-action-multiple-indiana.html

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Although the tax rate, $0.0083 per mg of nicotine, may seem modest, ...

I'm I doing the Math correct for the proposed Tax in this Examples?

30ml Bottle of 18mg/ml e-liquid.

30 x 18 = 540mg

540 x .0083 = 4.4820

So the Proposed Nicotine Tax on a 30ml Bottle of 18mg/ml e-liquid would be $4.48

---

And for a 1L Bottle of 100mg Nicotine Base...

1000 x 100 = 100,000mg

100,000 x .0083 = 830.0000

So the Proposed Nicotine Tax on a 1L Bottle of 100mg/ml e-Liquid would be $830.00

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
I'd say your math is good maybe except for the 1 liter at 100mg.

"Sec. 5 (a) The electronic cigarette tax is imposed on the distribution of vapor products in Indiana."

If you buy nicotine without saying it's for a vapor product, then there should be no tax. There is other use for nicotine, it's not just about vaping.

Edit: actually I cannot found anything where nicotine can be used elsewhere!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Use_as_an_insecticide

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'd say your math is good maybe except for the 1 liter at 100mg.

"Sec. 5 (a) The electronic cigarette tax is imposed on the distribution of vapor products in Indiana."

If you buy nicotine without saying it's for a vapor product, then there should be no tax. There is other use for nicotine, it's not just about vaping.

I'm Not Sure how successful it would be to Claim that Nicotine in a PG, VG or PG/VG solution was going to be Used for Anything Else besides vaping? What other Purpose is there for it in such a Solution?

And there does seem to be a Historical Presentence of People buying Nicotine in this Form for the Sold Purpose of using it in an e-Cigarette.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Emails sent!!
Yes there is another use for nicotine. A very long time ago when I worked in a greenhouse we used a fog machine to for the greenhouse with nicotine to kill insects. It was very effective.

Right on for Sending those e-Mails.

BTW - I'm not a Lawyer. But I'm not sure why the Fog Machine you used to Kill Insects would not be included under this Section?

19 Sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "vapor product" means a
20 noncombustible product containing nicotine, such as an electronic
21 cigarette, that employs a mechanical heating element, battery, or
22 electronic circuit, regardless of shape or size, that can be used to
23 produce vapor from a liquid nicotine solution. The term includes
24 any vapor cartridge or other container of nicotine in a solution or
25 other form that is intended to be used with or in a vapor product,
26 but does not include any product regulated by the United States
27 Food and Drug Administration under Chapter V of the federal
28 Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

I don't see anything that the Nicotine or Vapor has to be used for Human Consumption.

noevilstar

Senior Member<br>CASAA Board Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Union City, NJ
casaa.org
[UPDATE 1/21/15]
Two identical bills, SB 539 and HB 1432, have been introduced in the Indiana Legislature that threaten to overregulate the manufacturing of e-liquid products. These bills would prohibit the sale of any e-liquid product -- including those manufactured outside the state -- unless it is produced by a company that has procured a manufacturer’s license from the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission (ACT). Not only does this license cost $5,000, but the conditions that must be met to receive the license are unrealistic and present a substantial barrier for small- and medium-sized businesses throughout Indiana. Ultimately, these bills will severely limit consumer access to the variety of e-liquid manufactured outside the state and potentially shut down retailers and manufacturers in Indiana.

Please take action now to oppose these bills:

Take Action - Send an email
Take Action - Make a Call

**Please note: We are currently monitoring additional legislation in Indiana. A punitive and destructive 24% wholesale tax has been proposed. However, no bill has been introduced nor has draft language been made available. As soon as we have details we will issue an update to this Call to Action.

(Update 1/21/15) We are also aware of HB 1235, which is another attempt to prohibit indoor use, impose punitive taxes, and limit consumer access by not allowing businesses to sell tobacco (including e-cigarettes) if there is a pharmacy on the premises. Our assessment is that the scope of this bill is so unreasonable (some provisions include allowing employers to discriminate against nicotine users) that it will not pose a credible threat. However, we will continue to monitor HB 1235 and update this Call to Action should the need arise.

Last edited:

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Right on Topher.

If Everyone did this, we might be able to get somewhere.

One person can make a difference so lets all COMPLAIN and spread the word. Here's a thread I started a couple weeks ago when Our Local Paper printed a article about Ind. Legislators having a bill they wanted to pass on E-Cigs.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ll-hoosiers-need-write-their-legislators.html

After that article I wrote to the Logansport paper Public Forum explaining the BS Politicians and Anti-Smokers spread. Also that all ingredients minus Nicotine was food grade and approved eatable by the FDA. After my article was put in the public forum, the local paper called and interviewed me for a article about business and local reaction on this new bill. They even put in a photo of me vaping, which makes it more real to readers. If everyone that reads this thread complained to their local papers Public Forum, It would help, especially if you are from Indianapolis where the POLITICIANS are.
Here's the links to those articles.

Smoking debate burns on: Indiana lawmakers consider new bill - Pharos-Tribune: Local News

Logansport reacts to nicotine proposal - Pharos-Tribune: Local News

Last edited:

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Emails sent!!
Yes there is another use for nicotine. A very long time ago when I worked in a greenhouse we used a fog machine to for the greenhouse with nicotine to kill insects. It was very effective.

So why post this in here, I don't see where this input helps the E-Cig Cause. That is if what you say is true or just something you made up. I doubt back then they had liquid Nicotine.

And how about around halloween and Band CONCERTS, all the fog machines they use. Are they gona ban them? They don't have Nicotine in them but they use PG and VG, Which the Governements says is harmful if vaped. Correct me if I"m wrong. PG and VG used in fog machines is probably not FDA Approved USP food grade

Last edited:

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I'm Not Sure how successful it would be to Claim that Nicotine in a PG, VG or PG/VG solution was going to be Used for Anything Else besides vaping? What other Purpose is there for it in such a Solution?

I personally Vap 0-Nic about half the time, the other half is juice w/Nic. And I bet they want to TAX and BAN E-Juice without NIC. Juice w/no Nic would be the same stuff they use in FOG Machines at Band Concerts, other events, and halloween. So there is other purposes, do you think they will ban Fog Machines??????????????

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Hoosier Vapers are hosting a meeting on fighting this legislation. Political insider Evan McMahon is the featued speaker. We have sent invites to senate and house members as well as all shops in our club's database. We expect at least 2 senators to attend. Meeting is in Indy this Sunday. See the event listing on the Hoosier Vapers Facebook page for detail. (link to FB page in sig)

Show up. Show support. This is a fight for every vaper and future vaper in Indiana.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
One person can make a difference so lets all COMPLAIN and spread the word. ...

I Agree.

And that is Why I started this Thread...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/642648-1l-100mg-nic-base-went-up-830-00-a-4.html

There are Many Ways to Fight a proposed piece of Legislation at the Grassroots level. But they ALL Start the Same Way.

Phase One: Get As Many People as Possible Aware of the Proposed Legislation.

After a Base of Awareness has been Established, getting the Media involved is Critical.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Hoosier Vapers are hosting a meeting on fighting this legislation. Political insider Evan McMahon is the featued speaker. We have sent invites to senate and house members as well as all shops in our club's database. We expect at least 2 senators to attend. Meeting is in Indy this Sunday. See the event listing on the Hoosier Vapers Facebook page for detail. (link to FB page in sig)

Show up. Show support. This is a fight for every vaper and future vaper in Indiana.

I'll be there. I'm interested in seeing what the attitude is of any senator/s that may show up. I'm going to copy and paste your post to another action alert thread we have going for Indiana in the Legislative section.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I've got a more detailed post on the legislation meeting in the Hoosier Vapers social sub-forum which would be a better repost.

We know the Vape Militia is greeting folks at the door at the Ft. Wayne meet and they are actively involved with this too, plus the host vendor is on our contact list and is aware of the situation.

We may see some of these bills up for floor votes before the Ft. Wayne meet, so response time is critical. (Indiana has a part time legislative branch and fast-tracking bills is a common occurrence to keep them from going to summer session because going to summer session requires extended debate and expert testimony on all sides.)

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Everyone needs to take time and CALL, bombared them with calls.

HERE IS WHY

E-Mails get weeded out by Legislators secretaries, If they get 100 emails in one day they skim the subjects and delete as necessary. If they get 100 phone calls the impact is much deeper. In a newer world of technology we go with the flow. On this matter you should also send an email but also please call

Last edited:

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana

I went to http://hoosiervapers.com/ and seen no info on time and place in Indy(directions)

p.s. Will we be aloud to Vap during the meeting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread