Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
But if the mod is reading the incorrect resistance initially, what is happening to the voltage applied to it ("it" meaning the total body of resistance e.g. the atty plus dirt)? If something causes the mod to read a .12 ohm coil as .105 ohms, for example, doesnt whatever is causing that screw up have an affect on the voltage applied, in terms of what is hitting the atomizer, other than that the voltage will be wrong for the power level you have asked the mod to supply?
It does, but the better response is to fix what is causing the wrong resistance to be read. Obviously, tricking the mod rather than cleaning the connections isn't the way to go. And atties that introduce a lot of additional resistance or unstable resistance readings aren't suitable for tc or low resistance vaping anyway.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
It does, but the better response is to fix what is causing the wrong resistance to be read. Obviously, tricking the mod rather than cleaning the connections isn't the way to go. And atties that introduce a lot of additional resistance or unstable resistance readings aren't suitable for tc or low resistance vaping anyway.

So what is the affect?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you're taking the position the mod is misreading the resistance, requiring you to stick hand in the pot and do this manually, just how do you know the resistance was wrong in the first place? Do you use a lab grade certified DMM to verify it? Are you averaging together readings off of several mods (and who knows which one is right)? Are you relying on Steam Engine that your coil build should be 0.25 ohm, but it came in at 0.15 on the mod, and you want to believe SE instead?

I'd go with what the mod reads. If the resistance is not stable, take your stuff apart and find what's messing up the connection.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I've anyways wondered about this option on my Alien as well, but I've never felt the need to mess with it. But here's a somewhat related question: if a, say, TFV8 T8 coil says it's .15 ohm, does this mean it is exactly that? Or will there be some variance? Because my Alien reads this coil head generally between .17 and .18 ohms, but I've never seen this as an issue.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
If you're taking the position the mod is misreading the resistance, requiring you to stick hand in the pot and do this manually, just how do you know the resistance was wrong in the first place? Do you use a lab grade certified DMM to verify it? Are you averaging together readings off of several mods (and who knows which one is right)? Are you relying on Steam Engine that your coil build should be 0.25 ohm, but it came in at 0.15 on the mod, and you want to believe SE instead?

I'd go with what the mod reads. If the resistance is not stable, take your stuff apart and find what's messing up the connection.

No i havent done any of this because I dont suspect my mod is wrong about anything. Im just asking about this setting thats available out of curiousity. Im genuinely interested in what this setting is supposed to rectify and how.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
You'll be vaping an unstable build with the wrong voltage applied. In tc, the temperature will most definitely be off. By how much, who knows?

What do you mean by unstable? Suppose the alien mod reads this build at a different reistance everytime, on a margin of + or - .01 ohms about a particular resistance x ohms, but a different mod registers the build at the same reistance everytime, as does a very cheap ohmeter that hasnt been calibrated.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've anyways wondered about this option on my Alien as well, but I've never felt the need to mess with it. But here's a somewhat related question: if a, say, TFV8 T8 coil says it's .15 ohm, does this mean it is exactly that? Or will there be some variance? Because my Alien reads this coil head generally between .17 and .18 ohms, but I've never seen this as an issue.

Factory coils can have variation between the labeled resistance and the actual resistance on your mod. I'd always go with the one you measure yourself, and not the one printed on the coil.

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
What do you mean by unstable? Suppose the alien mod reads this build at a different reistance everytime, on a margin of + or - .01 ohms about a particular resistance x ohms, but a different mod registers the build at the same reistance everytime, as does a very cheap ohmeter that hasnt been calibrated.
That in itself means that something in the connections is unstable, inside the mod. I don't think that fooling the mod will correct things, though it might perhaps make a terribly working combo work a bit less terribly. But note that you're not actually correcting what's wrong by manually inputting a resistance. That's what I'm trying to point out.

Last edited:

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Reading the resistance the same every time is unstable? To me that is a stable consistent reading and in no way could be considered unstable.

Well since we ended up talking about the example the made me consider all this, the build i have in question does read differently on my alien all the time, not my other mods

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
That in itself means that something in the connections is unstable, inside the mod. I don't think that fooling the mod will correct things, though it might perhaps make a terribly working combo work a bit less terribly. But note that you're not actually correcting what's wrong by manually inputting a resistance. That's what I'm trying to point out.

Yea i getchya. Well the thing about the alien is that it has an accuracy down to a thousandth of an ohm. How much variation do u think is a problem?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Yea i getchya. Well the thing about the alien is that it has an accuracy down to a thousandth of an ohm. How much variation do u think is a problem?
I don't know. It's just not something I'd do to remedy the problem so I haven't given it too much indepth thought.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
I don't know. It's just not something I'd do to remedy the problem so I haven't given it too much indepth thought.

Im trying to figure out why you think its dangerous though. Im soecifically trying to figure out what could wrong, and why, by doing this. It seems so far weve only explicitly stated consequences so far are inaccuracy and diminished performance. I get it makes sense to avoid that, but whats the big deal?

Reactions: SteveS45

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Im trying to figure out why you think its dangerous though. Im soecifically trying to figure out what could wrong, and why, by doing this. It seems so far weve only explicitly stated consequences so far are inaccuracy and diminished performance. I get it makes sense to avoid that, but whats the big deal?
I don't think it's dangerous. It's hiding the problem rather than correcting it.

Reactions: MMW and Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Wow.. the amount of ........ in here needs a shovel.

Way too much overthinking here...

1) The resistance is read by the mod, this includes the tank, the contacts, etc.

2) locking it give the mod a reference for TC, WHICH, is calculated by a differential of resistance (TCR value for the metal) as power is applied. That's it. If you decide to not lock the reading, then the mod will still calculate from same differential values, but could be a bit off of the temperature set and reached.. not probably enough for most to even notice.

That the resistance is 0.2 or 0.4 or whatever, the way the mods does TC will use the exact same formula as it's "goal" is to control how much changes in variance is going on.

More detailed info about the physics behind it:

3) the wattage set is what it will push to the coil, regardless of the ohm reading. There is no way in heck that the mod will start pushing 100W if you've set it at 50W because the ohm are different from what you believe them to be, it doesn't work that way.

The option of modifying what the mod reads is a very questionable "option", as I know that any build I do, from my meter to my various mods, can differ a tiny bit (0.01-0.05 or something like that), but it's far from anything that I'd worry about as it could be the wiring of the device, the 510 pin, or just the soldering, etc.

I wouldn't worry, nor even touch this option. What SMOK has put that in looks like they did just to have an extra bell and whistle...reminds me of Clippy for Windows.

Doing a tiny bit of change in the ohm reading won't change much if anything at all (at least that you could detect). Worse scenario, you go crazy and mess with it so badly that you could end up frying something, but odds are, the mod would simply give you an error message.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Wow.. the amount of ........ in here needs a shovel.

Way too much overthinking here...

1) The resistance is read by the mod, this includes the tank, the contacts, etc.

2) locking it give the mod a reference for TC, WHICH, is calculated by a differential of resistance (TCR value for the metal) as power is applied. That's it. If you decide to not lock the reading, then the mod will still calculate from same differential values, but could be a bit off of the temperature set and reached.. not probably enough for most to even notice.

That the resistance is 0.2 or 0.4 or whatever, the way the mods does TC will use the exact same formula as it's "goal" is to control how much changes in variance is going on.

More detailed info about the physics behind it:

3) the wattage set is what it will push to the coil, regardless of the ohm reading. There is no way in heck that the mod will start pushing 100W if you've set it at 50W because the ohm are different from what you believe them to be, it doesn't work that way.

The option of modifying what the mod reads is a very questionable "option", as I know that any build I do, from my meter to my various mods, can differ a tiny bit (0.01-0.05 or something like that), but it's far from anything that I'd worry about as it could be the wiring of the device, the 510 pin, or just the soldering, etc.

I wouldn't worry, nor even touch this option. What SMOK has put that in looks like they did just to have an extra bell and whistle...reminds me of Clippy for Windows.

Doing a tiny bit of change in the ohm reading won't change much if anything at all (at least that you could detect). Worse scenario, you go crazy and mess with it so badly that you could end up frying something, but odds are, the mod would simply give you an error message.

Im not even talking about TC. Im talking about power mode actually.

Why do you think playing with this setting could fry the mod? Why dont u think it will change the applied wattage?

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
I would really like someone to answer this: suppose dirt or a loose connection affects the resistsance the mod reads. How does this affect the power it supplies to the body of resistance?

Please dont say "it makes it wrong." No duh. Im asking how it makes it wrong. Does the dirt get power to, so the atty doesnt take all the power? Does something go wrong with board? What is specifically happenening in such a situation? Im asking because its interesting to me, not because its important to my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread