Not open for further replies.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
What's In a Cigarette?

There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are poisonous.

Many of these chemicals also are found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Naphthalene – an ingredient in mothballs
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
What's In a Cigarette?

There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals. At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer, and many are poisonous.

Many of these chemicals also are found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke and other places they are found:

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Naphthalene – an ingredient in mothballs
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint

Your post only supports my theory...WTH were we smoking. Then again my question is focused on nic...is the nic addictive? from what i read the research is flawed and supports that nic is addictive.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
So from what i gather nic is addictive, regardless of the research that says otherwise.

Take the research with a grain of salt. For instance in the study you mentioned regarding nic patches and gum: What nic level were they administering? Over what period of time? Did they account for the fact that a modern cig is the most effective drug delivery system for nicotine that exists and doesn't really compare with the dosing that you get from a patch or gum? Did the participants have withdrawal symptoms that went unreported because they never used tobacco products and didn't recognize them? Did they factor in the psychological addiction as well as the physical addiction, and if so how? I was a smoker. For about three decades. I know the feeling of lighting up a smoke when you really, really need one. I understand that a cig isn't really just a nic delivery system. It's a device loaded with chemicals that has been engineered to addict you to the process of consuming it, and that's more than just nicotine. So, yeah, I don't think it's correct to say that nicotine alone causes addictive behavior in smokers. But it's part of the process. And it makes me feel better when I consume it. To answer your question perhaps we have to go deeper into understanding what addiction means.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Take the research with a grain of salt. For instance in the study you mentioned regarding nic patches and gum: What nic level were they administering? Over what period of time? Did they account for the fact that a modern cig is the most effective drug delivery system for nicotine that exists and doesn't really compare with the dosing that you get from a patch or gum? Did the participants have withdrawal symptoms that went unreported because they never used tobacco products and didn't recognize them? Did they factor in the psychological addiction as well as the physical addiction, and if so how? I was a smoker. For about three decades. I know the feeling of lighting up a smoke when you really, really need one. I understand that a cig isn't really just a nic delivery system. It's a device loaded with chemicals that has been engineered to addict you to the process of consuming it, and that's more than just nicotine. So, yeah, I don't think it's correct to say that nicotine alone causes addictive behavior in smokers. But it's part of the process. And it makes me feel better when I consume it. To answer your question perhaps we have to go deeper into understanding what addiction means.

yeah there is more than likely a synergistic effect at play in regards to tobacco addiction........ Putting aside the psych portion and concentrating solely on the physical aspects it would seem illogical to assume that only one agent in tobacco is responsible for addiction. In my own personal experience, I could much more easily reduce the nicotine levels in my e juice, or even quit entirely than I could when I smoked tobacco....... This indicates to me that there is more than likely other agents involved in tobacco addiction besides possibly just nicotine.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Exactly! I have proven it to myself.[emoji16]
    I'm not in favor of Chemo or getting my lungs scrapped.[emoji6]

yeah I lost my Mother to lung cancer a couple of years ago and I can assure people that is something they do not want to contract.... It was all due to her 50 year smoking habit....... People often ask me how the Doctors know it was smoking that caused her cancer......... Well, it's very simple actually.......... Pathologists can tell by examining the cancer cells as to what caused the cancer..... There are different types of cancer cells and they know through research what causes each type of cancer cell.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    lol ......... yeah it would seem that the debate is weather or not nicotine is the ONLY addictive agent in tobacco.
    And on that subject... I believe, and frequently counsel new vapers, there's something in the hand-to-mouth motion itself, aside from any chemical dependencies, which is (IMHO, of course) why vaping sometimes succeeds for quitters where other methods have failed. If you didn't die from the Chantix, I mean. That would also stop you from smoking. Come to think, so does lung cancer :)

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    And on that subject... I believe, and frequently counsel new vapers, there's something in the hand-to-mouth motion itself, aside from any chemical dependencies, which is (IMHO, of course) why vaping sometimes succeeds for quitters where other methods have failed. If you didn't die from the Chantix, I mean. That would also stop you from smoking. Come to think, so does lung cancer :)

A friend of mine tried Chantix and said it was horrrific. Stopped taking it. Anybody interested just google the side effects and testimonials.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    If you didn't die from the Chantix, I mean. That would also stop you from smoking. Come to think, so does lung cancer :)

That's funny :) yeah don't get me started about Chantix lol ......... yeah there is lots to be said about the hand to mouth habit when it comes to smoking..... However, I think the OP was focusing in on nicotine.......... I do NOT know if nicotine is as addictive as some believe... According to some research reports it is stated that it is not addictive.... I do not agree with the "reported" results.... I was chained to those miserable death sticks for 40 years and my body was addicted to something in them......... I do not believe that it was nicotine alone, even though I believe that nicotine does exhibit addictive properties despite what they claim. There have been periods where I have completely stopped vaping for a week or two at a time and it didn't hardly bother me at all (maybe a bit).... I could have NEVER done that when I smoked without feeling angry, edgy, and half sick. So, I am assuming the other junk in tobacco, in conjunction with the nicotine, is what is responsible for that.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    That's funny :) yeah don't get me started about Chantix lol ......... yeah there is lots to be said about the hand to mouth habit when it comes to smoking..... However, I think the OP was focusing in on nicotine.......... I do NOT know if nicotine is as addictive as some believe... According to some research reports it is stated that it is not addictive.... I do not agree with the "reported" results.... I was chained to those miserable death sticks for 40 years and my body was addicted to something in them......... I do not believe that it was nicotine alone, even though I believe that nicotine does exhibit addictive properties despite what they claim. There have been periods where I have completely stopped vaping for a week or two at a time and it didn't hardly bother me at all (maybe a bit).... I could have NEVER done that when I smoked without feeling angry, edgy, and half sick. So, I am assuming the other junk in tobacco, in conjunction with the nicotine, is what is responsible for that.
    I will not disagree, my friend. I, too, have read the reports. I am not a biochemist. Maybe they're right, but I don't believe it. And yes, I also agree there seems to be something else as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread