Just how addictive is nicotine... Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I've had this on my mind for some time now.
With the aid of 24mg juice it took me only 2 weeks to beat the analogs with all the super addictive extras that I believe BT adds.
In 3 months I've cut my nic from 24mg to 15mg. No problem at all.
I'm beginning to wonder if *FOR ME* the addiction that I'm left with isn't more of an addiction to the habit rather than the nic. Ya know, the motions, the sensation of inhaling the warmth and especially the visual smoke/vapor on exhale.
Whenever I used to think of quitting one big concern was what in the world do people DO with themselves. Well vaping has that covered perfectly.
I'm about to find out if the nic is really necessary for me. Just mixed up a batch of 0 nic and I'm giving it a go.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I have always had the same train of thought. I know I am more addicted to the process of smoking (vaping), more than the nicotine. I do enjoy nicotine though, just like I enjoy my coffee for the caffeine. I went 0nic for a short period of time, but knowing I was doing it affected me more than anything. If someone removed the nic and I thought it was there, I most likely wouldn't know the difference. The nicotine need I get since vaping is FAR different than what I got when I went without a cigarette for more than an hour or so.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are far more things that are addicting than just the nicotine in tobacco or smoking.

You already mentioned the toxic chemicals and byproducts added to tobacco cigarettes.

Also consider that smoking has behavior components that are addicting. The hand-to-mouth behavior and inhaling/exhaling behavior is just as addicting, probably why nicotine gum and patches don't work for many people trying to quit smoking.

Most older studies used nicotine and smoking as a combination; not really a fair study. None studied nicotine used alone. Newer studies seem to show that nicotine alone is much like caffeine -- a mild stimulant which is often found in coffee, tea, soda, and chocolate.

It is the smoke and other toxic chemicals which causes cancer when smoking. Nicotine is not without its dangers; its vasoconstriction properties can have a bad effect on high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease. Nicotine also adversely affects bone growth (ie bone fractures and bone surgical procedures).

New studies are showing some benefits of nicotine in Alzheimers, ADHD, Asberger's Syndrome, and many Irritable Bowel Syndromes.

Last edited:

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I have always had the same train of thought. I know I am more addicted to the process of smoking (vaping), more than the nicotine. I do enjoy nicotine though, just like I enjoy my coffee for the caffeine. I went 0nic for a short period of time, but knowing I was doing it affected me more than anything. If someone removed the nic and I thought it was there, I most likely wouldn't know the difference. The nicotine need I get since vaping is FAR different what I got when I went without a cigarette for more than an hour or so.

I agree with all of the above. I can go much longer periods without vaping than I ever could have not smoking. But I do get fidgety without the constant hand to mouth action.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
For me, nicotine is a part of it, but the motions and everything are part also.... I started 30mg and went up to 36mg and stayed on that for the majority of my first year, then stepped down to 24 then down to 18 then 12 then 6 just recently.... I tried 3 and 0, maybe there's a bit of mental play being told its all the nicotine from smoking and knowing the liquid has less than my "normal" liquid right now to make me "feel" the need for more vaping, or maybe it really is from a reduced intake of nicotine.... But then, I know there is the action of vaping/smoking as well, occasionally I'll drip some leftover 18mg liquid I have, get the "too much nicotine" feeling but not feel satisfied because the amount of time spent dripping was too short compared to normal even though the nicotine intake was enough....
I started DIY over the weekend, made a few mixes at 10mg and I can't feel the difference from the nicotine and the 6mg liquids unless I'm chain-vaping for a good 30 minutes, and even then, I get that from 6mg once in awhile....

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
With the aid of 24mg juice it took me only 2 weeks to beat the analogs with all the super addictive extras that I believe BT adds.
I'm beginning to wonder if *FOR ME* the addiction that I'm left with isn't more of an addiction to the habit rather than the nic. Ya know, the motions, the sensation of inhaling the warmth and especially the visual smoke/vapor on exhale.
Whenever I used to think of quitting one big concern was what in the world do people DO with themselves. Well vaping has that covered perfectly.
I'm about to find out if the nic is really necessary for me. Just mixed up a batch of 0 nic and I'm giving it a go.

Thats much too fast IMO.

In my 5+ years on the forum Ive seen lots of members get in a rush to quit vaping and within a few months they are back to smoking.

I had the same thing happen to me so I am speaking from experience here.

SLOW down, its not a race and regardless of how you feel about the addictive properties of nicotine, your body needs time to adjust and heal from all of these massive changes.

Most of us smoked for years and even decades, to try and quit vaping in 3-6 months is unrealistic to the extreme IMO.

I dropped 3mg every 6-9 months and have went down from 36 mg to just 3. On October 9th of this year I will also be 3 years completely cigarette free so I must be doing something right.

Slow and steady wins the race.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Nicotine isn't terribly addictive if at all.
Here is a list of the ingredients in cigarettes for anyone interested but many are flavorings.
Who knew there were 599? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes
Anyway I don't think the "hand to mouth action" qualifies as an addictive component more like a habit.
Don't you use the same action to eat?
Started on 24mg cut back until I got used to the change in the feel of the vapor and then starting using WTA's which I needed less of.
I still use 24mg and see no reason to stop or lower my intake...
I never wanted to quit smoking but when it happened in 3 days I was ecstatic!
For me I cannot see any reason to lower my nic {it helps me } or quit vaping.
Even after 5 or so years......:D
C.B.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Thats much too fast IMO.

In my 5+ years on the forum Ive seen lots of members get in a rush to quit vaping and within a few months they are back to smoking.

I had the same thing happen to me so I am speaking from experience here.

SLOW down, its not a race and regardless of how you feel about the addictive properties of nicotine, your body needs time to adjust and heal from all of these massive changes.

Most of us smoked for years and even decades, to try and quit vaping in 3-6 months is unrealistic to the extreme IMO.

I dropped 3mg every 6-9 months and have went down from 36 mg to just 3. On October 9th of this year I will also be 3 years completely cigarette free so I must be doing something right.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Oh, I have absolutely no intention to quit vaping. My rush to be rid of the nic is mostly due my tinnitus and borderline blood pressure. Just don't need the stimulus.
Don't worry about me, I've got my travel kit full of different levels of juice if I need them. But I need to find out for myself. Like they say... Everyone is different.
20150915_124218.jpg

Reactions: cigarbabe

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

This also explains why vaping works. The hand to mouth habit is not replicated with any other smoking cessation method. Looking back I would say I am 70% hand to mouth and 30% nicotine dependent.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY

For love of nicotine I gave up my health for like 40 years so it better be extremely addictive.

Once I got my hands on some decent vape gear quitting smoking was easy. Painless in fact.

Its been afew 24 hours now and I'm still addicted to nic though. Much better now of coarse, I can go longer periods of time now, but sometimes I get in a situation that I can do all the hand to mouth BS I want but its the nic I crave. Those are the times I know that while its getting better I am still very much an addict.

Reactions: Foggy Road

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
2 PAD 45 YEARS.
:banana: You win.38 year 2 PAD here.
I think you are on to something. I quit in one day no problems at 18 mg per ml over two
years ago. Never gave it much thought until lately. All y new juice i am getting at 11 or
12 mg and, I am not having any issues.
Regards
Mike

Reactions: Foggy Road

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Anyway I don't think the "hand to mouth action" qualifies as an addictive component more like a habit.
Don't you use the same action to eat?
It's an extremely important component of addiction behavior. Like I said before, the reason why most people fail to quit smoking with the nicotine patch and gum is that it doesn't take into consideration for the missed hand-to-mouth behavior of smoking despite replacing the nicotine to the brain. For me, the inhaling/exhaling was the most missed aspect.

I might jokingly say that I'm addicted to chocolate. That's probably not a real addiction physically, but mentally it might be very difficult to suddenly stop consuming several chocolates a day if that is what I've been accustomed to for years. The same goes for caffeine (coffee, tea, etc).

I personally took up vaping to stop smoking because of its affiliation with causing cancer. I wasn't looking to quit smoking, but looking for a healthier alternative. Over three years, I've dropped the nic level in my vape from 24 mg down to 6 mg. I would still greatly miss the hand to mouth behavior and the inhaling/exhaling of vapor whether I went to 0 mg or quit vaping altogether.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread