Is There An RTA That Doesn't Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The ratio of pg to vg also matters....e-liquids with higher ratios of pg are going to be less viscous than e-liquids with higher ratios of vg.

(How this got to 3 pages with no mention of this is strange.)

High VG juices are probably less prone to leak than PG under identical circumstances. I still think that using the o-ring pack that comes with most/all rebuildables is a good first effort to control leaking. That, and keeping the tank vertical at all times.

A good tank generally won't leak lying on its side. I've proved that by storing filled tanks in zip locks in a cabinet for months. Of course, that was at room temp. Put it in a pocket lying sideways in the Summer and all bets are off!

I've always vaped liquids with 90pg down to 60pg. I've been mixing at 70pg/30vg for a while now, with occasional mixes at 60pg/40vg.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Well I've wicked my Engine Nano with a ceramic wick (ReadyXWick) and the tank didn't leak. It did flood but it didn't leak. I'm not sure how the OBS Engines would leak unless the tank wasn't screwed onto the base properly.
Flooding is leaking in my book... where does the excess go?
So are you saying if I wick an Engine with A ready wick or silica. I can still pocket carry it... it won't leak when on its side?

I ask because I prefer Silica type wick
.... if I can get it to work.... I prefer it for flavor..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
High VG juices are probably less prone to leak than PG under identical circumstances. I still think that using the o-ring pack that comes with most/all rebuildables is a good first effort to control leaking. That, and keeping the tank vertical at all times.

A good tank generally won't leak lying on its side. I've proved that by storing filled tanks in zip locks in a cabinet for months. Of course, that was at room temp. Put it in a pocket lying sideways in the Summer and all bets are off!

I've always vaped liquids with 90pg down to 60pg. I've been mixing at 70pg/30vg for a while now, with occasional mixes at 60pg/40vg.
Please explain why?

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Flooding is leaking in my book... where does the excess go?
So are you saying if I wick an Engine with A ready wick or silica. I can still pocket carry it... it won't leak when on its side?

I ask because I prefer Silica type wick
.... if I can get it to work.... I prefer it for flavor..

Sure it might leak in that case but I would never purposely put a flooded tank in my pocket whether its right side up, on its side or upside down. I wouldn't put a tank with cracked glass in my pocket either.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Sure it might leak in that case but I would never purposely put a flooded tank in my pocket whether its right side up, on its side or upside down. I wouldn't put a tank with cracked glass in my pocket either.
Well here's the deal any setup I use MUST be pocket friendly.. it must be able to be laid down without concern for orientation....

My current ADV is an Avocado22 in single coil mode. Backup is a KFL plus...
Both tanks Will leak under the wrong conditions... the Kayfun as example is very environmentally sensitive. Going from hot to cold and back will cause leakage..as will increase or decreases in altitude. if you don't equalize the pressure in the tank it drains. The avocado surprised me by how it doesn't leak....it only seems to leak when the wick gets dirty. Or is too thin at the deck.

Some tank leak no matter what you do.... most tanks only leak if setup incorrectly.

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
As a followup to my original post...I did some practice this weekend on wicking and I believe I almost have it down. My Merlin has not leaked since Friday night. The Ammit took a couple of tries but seems to be holding now as well. Progress.

Yea! Happy vaping!
th

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Well, sometime your wrong and sometime your wrong.
So where is this seal you speak of? Is it at the giant gaping hole that we use to mount the driptip? Is it at the point the airflow hits the coil?
Or, as I have found/know, it is where the wet wick separates the liquid juice from the air.
Buddy, I have had way to much experience with leaky tanks to think that when it leaks from the airflow it is not the wicking. Nobody here is talking about seepage, juice pouring from a seam/joint.

But, please, walk me through your point.
I've seen WAY too many replies of 'well if it were done (fill in favorite argument) it would(n't) (fill in blank).
The seal I speak of is the general "air-tightness" of the tank. As to the specific o-rings, there are four of them: the two on both ends of the glass, the one on the outer edge of the top cap, and the one in the middle of the top cap that fits down over the chimney when you screw the top cap on. The first three are more like gaskets and get squeezed as you screw the tank together. The culprit is usually the one at the top of the chimney because it doesn't get squeezed and has to seal both inside the top cap and around the chimney. If you get all four of these working correctly, the juice will stay in the tank on its own, just like putting your finger over the end of a straw. It's a vacuum based system that will stay balanced under you draw on it, creating a negative pressure in the juice well that draws juice up into the well where it can be wicked to the coil. If the coil is already saturated, the juice pulls back up into the tank when you're done drawing on it due to the negative pressure you've created in the tank by pulling juice into the well.

If you don't have a good seal, juice will flow into the well on it's own, overflow, and go down the center hole and come out the air holes.

I hope that's specific enough. As I said before, the is the principle of a Kayfun. I can't vouch for other tanks.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Well here's the deal any setup I use MUST be pocket friendly.. it must be able to be laid down without concern for orientation....

My current ADV is an Avocado22 in single coil mode. Backup is a KFL plus...
Both tanks Will leak under the wrong conditions... the Kayfun as example is very environmentally sensitive. Going from hot to cold and back will cause leakage..as will increase or decreases in altitude. if you don't equalize the pressure in the tank it drains. The avocado surprised me by how it doesn't leak....it only seems to leak when the wick gets dirty. Or is too thin at the deck.

Some tank leak no matter what you do.... most tanks only leak if setup incorrectly.

So after I went on about how the Engine Nano can't leak, I found e-liquid inside the battery compartment of my mod. I don't know how but it appears the tank did indeed leak some how!

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Did you lay it down on its side? I had mine leak like that once or twice.

Nope it's on top of my mod which is standing up straight. Looks like it's leaking into the 510 connection and the liquid is getting inside the battery compartment. This happened all the time with the Merlin RTA and the EXO RTA but I was really surprised to see this happen with the Engine Nano. It's like finding out Santa Claus isn't real.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
The seal I speak of is the general "air-tightness" of the tank. As to the specific o-rings, there are four of them: the two on both ends of the glass, the one on the outer edge of the top cap, and the one in the middle of the top cap that fits down over the chimney when you screw the top cap on. The first three are more like gaskets and get squeezed as you screw the tank together. The culprit is usually the one at the top of the chimney because it doesn't get squeezed and has to seal both inside the top cap and around the chimney. If you get all four of these working correctly, the juice will stay in the tank on its own, just like putting your finger over the end of a straw. It's a vacuum based system that will stay balanced under you draw on it, creating a negative pressure in the juice well that draws juice up into the well where it can be wicked to the coil. If the coil is already saturated, the juice pulls back up into the tank when you're done drawing on it due to the negative pressure you've created in the tank by pulling juice into the well.

If you don't have a good seal, juice will flow into the well on it's own, overflow, and go down the center hole and come out the air holes.

I hope that's specific enough. As I said before, the is the principle of a Kayfun. I can't vouch for other tanks.
I don't have a kayfun so is there a check valve in the air flow supply and another check valve in the drip tip? That way the air flow can only go one way?

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I don't have a kayfun so is there a check valve in the air flow supply and another check valve in the drip tip? That way the air flow can only go one way?
Nope..no check valve.. never heard of an atty with one.
In the standard Kayfun air is non adjustable always open. Those with AFC at least v1 and 2 were screw controled. NOTHING OVER very restrictions lung hit for draws. V3 and later offer more air.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Because high VG juices have higher viscosity they move more slowly than high PG if theres a small vacuum leak.
Replacing good orings with good orings does nothing. There is a a huge vacuum leak in every RTA. It's called a drip tip and air flow.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Original question - Is there an RTA that doesn't leak ?
Bought a few Pico-s tanks but to use the clr adapter for my clr coil heads only not the rebuildable deck it comes with.
In another thread i mentioned it leaked via the airflow control ring bad when filling.
He said the problem is one of the thicker o- rings goes under the clr adapter cap that replaces the clr heads top cap.
Been vaping this tank exclusively now for a week to test and have refilled tank many many times and it does not leak at all happy to say.
Hope this helps some folks that may have bought that tank and put it aside because of this problem as
it comes with no instructions.
The clr coil head really vapes nice with this setup as for the rebuildable deck i have no idea .

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

I have a kayfun 4 and don't get leaking. I don't think it has a valve though, but it took me a while to get the wicking right in it, once I did I can even lay it on its side and not get leaking, although I rarely do that.. I have a nice wood holder for my device and keep it in that when I'm not vaping unless I'm just being lazy.. (which does happen on occasion)

But all these people who talk about leaking, mine was solved with proper wicking technique.

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have a siren gta22 rta that I carry in my pocket every day at work. I had leaking issues once when I didn't put enough wick in but no problems after that until yesterday. I've had the same wick/coil in for a week and for no apparent reason it dumped liquid out of the air hole. I filled it back up, wiped it down, and its been fine since then. I wonder what happened?

Reactions: Eskie
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread