Not open for further replies.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
It's costing me about the same because of the learning curve.

It cost me about the same as smoking with two months it went higher (quite a bit too, I got careless). Then as I got more experience, it dropped. A lot. I went two months once without spending a penny.

And ECF was invaluable as a resource. I learned huge amounts here and cut my costs to a trickle. I average about one tenth what smoking cost me. But didn't get there overnight. Pretty fast with help around here but not overnight.

jamtwo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
In the D, MI
At first it was costly, because it took a couple tries to get the right vape for myself (which I'm sure a lot of others experience lol), but now I've got a reliable machine, and the juice I buy is 18 or two for 30. I was a pack a day smoker. So you figure, at 6.50 a pack, that's 91 bucks every two weeks, now I spend 15-18 bucks on a 30mL bottle of juice that'll last me roughly two weeks. So you figure, 30 bucks for a month, vs. probably 200 adding an extra pack (oh like that was hard to do). I'm literally spending 1/6 of the amount of money I was. It really does depend on how much screwing around you want to do, trying different systems that require different accessories, but bottom line, if you pick up one good vape, and then just buy your juice, it'll drop the overall cost greatly.

I bought myself a lightly used Macbook Air as a quitting the cigs present :), and let me tell you, not stinking like a Marlboro and having a badass computer is just about as sweet as the juice I'm vaping on right now!

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
It's cheaper if you find a device you can stick to for a few months to a year and if you rebuild your own coils (not so easy nowadays with standard clearos due to companies like Kanger trying to make their coils disposable and difficult to rebuild on purpose).

If you're into RDA's, the upfront investment is high, but it's probably cheaper than smoking in the long run as well. At least if you're not impulsive and buy every new mod and RDA you see.

I smoked 2 packs a day (about $7 a day). Now all I need is an e-cig (about $50), a couple of decent clearos (another $50), and juice (maybe $15 a week). I only need to use this e-cig (and tanks) for 2 weeks to break even on what cigs would have cost me over the same time period. After that it's all juice and coils.

Overall, it's about half of what I'd pay per week if I smoked regular cigs (and I smoked cheap $3 a pack cigs. A lot of places, you can't find a pack for under 5-6 bucks).

MrsMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
Definitely cheaper for me. I was spending about $80 a week on smokes. Now I spend $23 a week on juice(local shop makes it and does by 2 15ml, get one free on Wednesdays plus rewards card) Total equipment investment thus far as been about $200 which I spent within the last 2 months. I'm good with my setups so I'm not spending more there aside from coils.

So total month of smokes was $320 Juice cost per month is $92(I have plenty of juice now so I could go at least 3 weeks without buying any). I could get away with only buying juice once every 2 weeks so realistically vaping is only costing me $46 vs $320 when I was smoking.

Harpal

Dec 12, 2012
Malaysia
IMHO, vaping is definitely cheaper than smoking in the long run. The first couple of months, you might spend more than what you do when you normally smoke. However, once you've settled with your mod and your tank, then you only buy juices every month.

After 6 months, get a provari, buy a kayfun, go over some youtube videos on how to coil a kayfun and you'll never ever need to buy another mod again.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I smoked about a carton of cigs a week give or take.

Best price I could find was like $60 a carton. 4 weeks in a month and we'll say $240.

I've been vaping for about a month. So far I've spent about $150 on a simple evod set-up, and 2 extra batteries, some chargers, 10 clearomizers (which will everntually be upgraded to better tanks) a carry case, and a good amount of juice.

I'm not making this a hobby, so the only things I see myself buying in the future are tanks, atomizers, replacement batteries, and juice.

I could literally buy my same setup every single month and still save money.

Realistically, I can keep this under $50 a month.

On my shopping around, the batteries could've been the most expensive part - but I rescued a laptop pack from a recycling tub in a shop, I've been using the cells for quite a while now with no failures - usually one weak cell fails the whole pack, I haven't found out which one yet.

As for liquid - one shop in town is charging more for 1 10ml bottle than I pay for 30ml online - and it took some time to find it at reasonable price there.

If you were only smoking 1 carton/week - you don't need top of the range vaping kit to replace that.

workman70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Knoxville, TN
Depends on if you get into the hobby aspect of it which I did. At some point you realize all devices are pretty much the same with minor differences. But there is so much variability in settings, that it can keep you occupied finding the right vape....and favors. Once you get dialed in you can exist must more cheaply than cigs. I however, like to try it all...different mechs, mods, atty's, etc. but hey, haven't touched a smoke in 4 months...so, winning!

vaping is cheaper! but dont be a hoarder! try different mods but dont keep the old ones sell them online and get a new one ive been vaping for 4 yrs and have change mods for many times but now i stop because i found the best mod and atomizer mine is cronus mod from vape head origins philippines and atomizer is magma by paradigm philippines..

Hrica

Nov 21, 2014
NC
I stopped smoking for obvious health risks and began vaping hoping it would be a safe cheaper alternative to smoking and quickly realized its not at least in my case, is the same true for you guys and gals?

Friend, I think I have thrown $100 worth of packs of ciggs out my car window vowing NEVER to smoke again....just to find myself caving and buying a pack 3 days later

Hrica

Nov 21, 2014
NC
Depends on if you get into the hobby aspect of it which I did. At some point you realize all devices are pretty much the same with minor differences. But there is so much variability in settings, that it can keep you occupied finding the right vape....and favors. Once you get dialed in you can exist must more cheaply than cigs. I however, like to try it all...different mechs, mods, atty's, etc. but hey, haven't touched a smoke in 4 months...so, winning!

This ^

Vaping can get very fun with all the delicoius flavors and gagets that you can buy...which can add up...just be wise and remember your first set up is gonna cost about $50 bucks but that's the cost of a cartoon of floor sweeping cigs in my neck of the woods.

also with ciggs...you just collect the butts..and lighters..and tar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread