istick pico trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaperess

May 25, 2016
Please can anyone help. I bought my dad a brand new istick pico and a new cubis tank with 1.5 coil I set it at 12 watts as his new to these type of tanks. He used it 6 times now its flashing and saying device is hot when its not its cold I turned it off left it for an hour turned it back on it worked fine for 2 pulls then did it again any idea's please Im devasted was so happy to see dad with a decent setup so was he. If i put it in bypass mode it works as soon as i go back to watts it does it again and idea's please

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Please can anyone help. I bought my dad a brand new istick pico and a new cubis tank with 1.5 coil I set it at 12 watts as his new to these type of tanks. He used it 6 times now its flashing and saying device is hot when its not its cold I turned it off left it for an hour turned it back on it worked fine for 2 pulls then did it again any idea's please Im devasted was so happy to see dad with a decent setup so was he. If i put it in bypass mode it works as soon as i go back to watts it does it again and idea's please
Try removing the battery door and put it back and try again.

Reactions: Vaperess

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
kamry batteries 2000mah and sony c5 batterys
  • The Kamry 2000 mAh battery is a "flashlight" battery It cannot be used for vaping. It's ICR chemistry and not safe to be used in mods.
  • If your Sony c5 battery is really a Sony VCT5 2600 mAh battery bought at a vape shop or a reputable battery supplier it should work fine (up to 60 watts) in your PICO as long as it too is not giving you that "devise is hot" message.
  • "Devise is hot" means the chip/circuit board in your mod is getting to hot and the circuit board shuts down to protect the mod (not you). You still need to buy the correct batteries for you to vape safely.
If you bought the Sony from ebay or Amazon there is a good chance it is counterfeit and should not be used if your PICO is giving you the "devise is hot" message.

It's a good thing your PICO sent you that message. If for some reason the circuit board had failed, your Kamry (ICR chemistry) battery could have gone into thermal runaway and exploded like a pipe bomb.

All the above are good reasons you need to educate yourself on batteries.

More on Batteries

There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sanyo.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. In order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.
  • Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide
    • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
Battery Specs
  • The "mAh" spec. on a battery is basically how much energy it can store, how long it will last before needing a recharge.
  • The CDR (Continuous Discharge Rating) tells you how hard you can work the battery (how fast you can pull/dump the power out of it without it losing it's wee little battery mind and goin' all thermal n' stuff).
  • Amps is current (rate of flow/juice dump rate). The CDR would be stated in Amps. You'll see ratings like "20A battery". The more Amps you're pulling, the "faster" the current, the harder you're working the battery.
Charging/Transporting Loose Batteries
  • Only charge batteries when you are around so you can remove them when they are done charging. For that reason never leave them charging when you are sleeping.
  • Batteries should always be stored/transported in a plastic/silicone battery case. Never put a loose battery in your pocket/purse with loose coins/keys or you can short it out.
Which Battery your PICO Needs

When using a regulated mod the it's the max wattage you vape at that counts as far as safety.
So as long as you stay under 60 watts any 20A CDR cell will be safe. If you are going to be vaping +60 watts on a regular basis you will need a 30A CDR cell.

Two 20A CDR, high mAh cells that would work in your PICO at 60 watts and lower.
  • LG HG2 3000 mAh 20A CDR (brown)
  • Samsung 30Q 3000 mAh 20A CDR (lavender)
@Mooch is is the battery expert here on ECF. You can check his battery blog posts for bench tests and other battery related blog posts.

image-jpeg.555235

Batteries - Where to Buy

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread