Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
27636576701_fa693651fd_h.jpg

Yesterday I got the Cubis Pro in the mail.

My first thought was Wow this is small. My first thought on the use of the tank (with the Notch coil) was Man why do these (Cubis, Lyche and the like) flood and spit. Great taste though, but it can get hot. It has better airflow than the Cubis, spits less than the Lyche and I prefer the design, looks, smaller size and larger capacity to either of those. It comes with 4 coils. I started with the prebuilt Notch coil as opposed to the one that can swap the cotton out. It comes with extra cotton and o-rings too. It also comes with an additional MTL plastic drip tip with spit back protection in it. I wish the DL tip had that but for air flow reasons, I can understand why it doesn't.

I'm using 90VG juice that doesn't spit at all in a Cleito which has huge juice holes. I thought it was getting better throughout the day, but with about a 1/4 of a tank left, it flooded something terrible. Massive gurgling and spit back that didn't feel too good so I swapped the coil for the BF .5 coil and gave that a shot until the end of the day.

I thought this was the coil I had tried when I got the original Cubis, but maybe not because I like it much better here. Or maybe it is but the better airflow of the Pro just changes the flavor. Flavor of the BF in this tank is very good and almost identical to the Notch coil. It has a lot over the Notch coil though. Though it does gurgle constantly, it's not extreme - less than in the original and much less than the Notch coil, and it's only spit on me once. Both these coils spit and gurgle less than both Lyche coils I tried. I gave up on the Lyche pretty quick, even quicker than I gave up on the original Cubis.

I'll compare the Notch and BF coils some more. Like I said, flavor is almost identical. Ramp up is near instantaneous on the BF where the ramp up of the Notch coil is slower. The Notch coil needs more power and even then the BF ramps up quicker. I was surprised by the airflow and clouds of the BF considering it looks more restrictive than the Notch coil and uses less power. Like flavor, the BF basically matches the Notch in those regards too.

I buy a lot of tanks to try and constantly go back to the Aspire Cleito, so the big question for me is considering the amazing taste, vapor and smooth lack-of-gurgle vape of the Cleito, is the loud flooding sound and once in a blue moon spitting of the BF .5 coil really worth it. It may seem like a no brainer to put the Cubis Pro away and keep using my Cleitos, but it's not. I need more time with this one.

Here are the things I like about this tank that make me want it to work out so bad. It looks great and is smaller than a Cleito yet has a larger capacity. The flavor is really good (though personally I would rate the Cleito better). The coils are cheap. I can run it 15 watts lower than a Cleito, give or take, making my battery last longer while still giving great taste and clouds.

Considering the huge size of the juice inlets on a Cleito, I just can't understand why these coils flood. The inlets on the Notch coil aren't that large, and the inlets on the BF coil are tiny. So what's the deal? Do they not put enough cotton in there? I'm already using 90VG but maybe I should give Max a shot in these. I'm also considering plugging up one of the holes on both the Notch and BF and seeing what happens.

Tomorrow I'll try the QCS coil, which is a Notch coil that allows you to "Quick Change" the cotton. If that gurgles and spits, I'm curious if I can fit more cotton in there than what it originally comes with.

Oh and because the Cubis Pro can get quite warm, I swapped the drip tip with the Lyche tip, which is the same height but slightly wider with with more insulation on the inside of the tip.

CUBIS_Pro_Atomizer_01.png

CUBIS_Pro_Atomizer_04.png

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
That was yesterday. This morning I woke up to the BF .5 coil spitting like crazy because of sitting all night. Burning my mouth was not fun at all and felt I was done with it. I really like this tank though, but not the coils (even though they taste good). How do you sell coils that do this? I then hit the power button for 10 seconds to burn that crap out of there. It worked and I thought okay, would I be willing to do that every morning for the tradeoffs or not? I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, I said I'd give the QCS coil a go today. I just installed it but haven't tried it yet. I'll post later today.

Last edited:

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I had high hopes for the QCS coil but it gurgled and spit worse than the normal Notch coil and as bad as the Lyche's Notch coil.

I went back to the BF .5 but decided to plug up one of the juice intakes. The crazy thing is it still gurgled the whole time until a couple hours later when it went dry. How is that possible? I removed the plug and all was back to normal with that coil.

Today, I'll rewrap the QCS coil and see if that makes any difference at all. I don't expect it to.

Reactions: Mactavish
I've been using a Cubis for 4 months now, works great (more on that below).

However, the Cubis has a design flaw that causes coil flooding on refill. While I don't have a Cubis Pro to examine yet, I suspect that ALL of the recent top-airflow, top-fill, top-mounted coil tanks (Cubis Pro, Lyche, Nautilus X, etc.) will suffer (to some degree) from the same flaw: airflow that can't be completely shut off!

With the top off for re-filling, the partial vacuum seal is lost, so when you re-insert the coil into a full tank (or fill w/coil still in), until the top is fully sealed, juice WILL have opportunity to flow through the wick into the coil, flooding it.

My Cubis initially flooded and gurgled every time it was re-filled (w/same coil). So I got to thinking about how this new system worked, and concluded that it was all airflow related.

I found a cure that works perfectly for me (51 refills now without ANY flooding or gurgling), read about it here: Cubis Flood Fix | Cubis/Cuboid Ruminations

installed-small.jpg

The Cubis Pro can't use an o-ring, so you'd need some sort of band to cover the air intake holes, but it might work for you too. Let me know if it does.

I've read a number of reports where the 0.5 SS coil would flood just from sitting overnight. I can't say if my refill cure would fix that, as I don't use the sub-ohm coils. I did try the included 0.5 SS coil for 2 1/2 days, it did NOT flood overnight, but I stopped using it - it was too much for me, I'm a MTL type.

Seems to me that flooding overnight (or after a long period of non-use) implies a less than 100% top seal. Using a band & drip-tip stopper overnight might fix that too.

ps, does the Cubis Pro airflow ring COMPLETELY shut off air intake when closed? or does it still allow a tight draw?

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I had high hopes for the QCS coil but it gurgled and spit worse than the normal Notch coil and as bad as the Lyche's Notch coil.

I went back to the BF .5 but decided to plug up one of the juice intakes. The crazy thing is it still gurgled the whole time until a couple hours later when it went dry. How is that possible? I removed the plug and all was back to normal with that coil.

Today, I'll rewrap the QCS coil and see if that makes any difference at all. I don't expect it to.

CUBIS PRO:
Vaped to day after mod sat while I sleep. Juice in mouth, gurgles. This on the BF SS .5 ohm coil. Was never this bad on the older Cubis tanks. I tried the BLOW BACK through the mouthpiece, with a paper towel wrapped around the airflow holes. Had to do it twice. Surprised that very little juice came out the AF holes, but it cleared the gurgling. Sometimes I switch to wattage mode to burn off the juice sitting on top of the wire mesh. Tried removing the mesh with the older Cubis, didn't notice any improvement. I was going to get a few more "Pros", but now I'm going to wait. I like to vape my juice NOT drink it!

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I've been using a Cubis for 4 months now, works great (more on that below).

However, the Cubis has a design flaw that causes coil flooding on refill. While I don't have a Cubis Pro to examine yet, I suspect that ALL of the recent top-airflow, top-fill, top-mounted coil tanks (Cubis Pro, Lyche, Nautilus X, etc.) will suffer (to some degree) from the same flaw: airflow that can't be completely shut off!

With the top off for re-filling, the partial vacuum seal is lost, so when you re-insert the coil into a full tank (or fill w/coil still in), until the top is fully sealed, juice WILL have opportunity to flow through the wick into the coil, flooding it.

My Cubis initially flooded and gurgled every time it was re-filled (w/same coil). So I got to thinking about how this new system worked, and concluded that it was all airflow related.

I found a cure that works perfectly for me (51 refills now without ANY flooding or gurgling), read about it here: Cubis Flood Fix | Cubis/Cuboid Ruminations

installed-small.jpg

The Cubis Pro can't use an o-ring, so you'd need some sort of band to cover the air intake holes, but it might work for you too. Let me know if it does.

I've read a number of reports where the 0.5 SS coil would flood just from sitting overnight. I can't say if my refill cure would fix that, as I don't use the sub-ohm coils. I did try the included 0.5 SS coil for 2 1/2 days, it did NOT flood overnight, but I stopped using it - it was too much for me, I'm a MTL type.

Seems to me that flooding overnight (or after a long period of non-use) implies a less than 100% top seal. Using a band & drip-tip stopper overnight might fix that too.

ps, does the Cubis Pro airflow ring COMPLETELY shut off air intake when closed? or does it still allow a tight draw?

On the PRO, with the airflow holes closed completely, I don't detect any air getting through, I had closed mine before going to bed. I've seen your solution before, but for me, any additional steps and stuff to carry or use, makes these leak proof tanks, LESS convenient, and that was the number one reason I bought them. While some argue the usefulness of juice flow controls, it might be just what this design needs, but would be difficult or impossible in its current form.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Yeah I was hoping to get a few too, but I guess not - unless they come out with a coil for this tank that doesn't do this.

I've also seen your remedy before, HooDooToo. Thanks for posting it here, but I agree with Mactavish that any extra steps just isn't worth it to me. I do agree it must have something to do with a top airflow design, or maybe that in combination with the fact that excess juice can't run down into the bottom of the tank near the bottom airflow - since it doesn't exist in these designs.

I never had leaking or gurgling issues with the Aspire Atlantis nor the Triton II and Cleito top fills, so I don't think it has anything to do with top fill. In fact, I don't even close the air flow when I refill those. Actually I did have leakage once with a Cleito after speed filling thin juice into it, but I expected the leakage after that.

So anyway, today I rewrapped the QCS coils - twice. The first time, there must have been too much cotton on the edges of the coil, so the coil wasn't making contact and wouldn't fire. The coil is still a no go. So this tank is a bust for me unless they release some new coils. I'm back to my quiet, non-gurgling, non-spitting and huge favor, airflow & vapor Cleitos. I really do wish the attractive, top airflow, tiny,, good tasting, large capacity Cubis Pro would have worked out though.

On Monday though, I'll install the 1.5 Clapton and try some MTL with Halo Tribeca. I'll close the juice flow down some since it's a thin juice. I'm interested to try that feature. After that, it will be put away.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
So I installed the 1.5 ohm LVC Clapton coil like I said I would. Surprise, surprise. This tank is working beautifully as a MTL tank. I majorly cut the juice intake of that coil down to a pin hole for the thin 80/20 juice by the way. You might really dig it, HooDooToo, especially since it can totally cut off airflow. It gurgles slightly, but honestly no more than any other MTL coil I've tried. No spitting at all. I used it on and off all day, sometimes letting it sit for a couple hours. It never failed. I'll be using it tomorrow too then see if my wife wants it because she's MTL all the way. I can't get her away from Ego type devices though, the closest I got was an Innokin T18, and she doesn't even use that often, even though it's superior to her other stuff. I will admit the Aspire K2 is pretty freakin good, but I thought the Kanger Top Evod was crap - she doesn't mind it though. I'll see what she thinks about the Cubis Pro on an iStick 40. If she doesn't like the iStick but likes the tank, maybe I'll get her the new eGo Mega Twist+......

detail - Joyetech

eGo_Mega_Twist_01.png

Last edited:
Reactions: gerrymi

lecho

Feb 26, 2012
Germany
I have one of these (and clapton replacements) on the way - i love the design and this (theoretical good) solution for refilling & coil replacement. I think, with the clapton coils (MTL) there is not so much underpressure in the button of the coil unit - so a lower chance of flooding the chimney...

Has anyone tried to turn the RTA upside-down while srewing the top-cap in? This trick was helpful with some (aged) atomizers :)

chefjoosie

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
I really wanted to like this tank. Even with all of the issues, and the fiddling to make the old cubis not flood, I still like that tank, and was hoping this one would fix the issues I had with the old one.

The real issue, (and biggest disappointment) is with the coils. Especially the notch coils. There is just no way to keep them from flooding for any length of time. They also get the tank dangerously hot. I thought I could fix the issue with some tighter wicking on the rebuildable head, but if you put enough cotton in to stop the flooding, it's too much for the head to make connection, and it won't fire.

To add insult to injury, the old RBA head works much better and floods less in the new tank. However, the chimney stem is a tad longer in the new one, so it restricts the airflow on the old RBA head.

I was so impressed when I opened the box and saw the design of the tank and heads. What a disappointment. At least I have 2 spare orings for my old cubis now since they break so easily.

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
I really wanted to like this tank. Even with all of the issues, and the fiddling to make the old cubis not flood, I still like that tank, and was hoping this one would fix the issues I had with the old one.

The real issue, (and biggest disappointment) is with the coils. Especially the notch coils. There is just no way to keep them from flooding for any length of time. They also get the tank dangerously hot. I thought I could fix the issue with some tighter wicking on the rebuildable head, but if you put enough cotton in to stop the flooding, it's too much for the head to make connection, and it won't fire.

To add insult to injury, the old RBA head works much better and floods less in the new tank. However, the chimney stem is a tad longer in the new one, so it restricts the airflow on the old RBA head.

I was so impressed when I opened the box and saw the design of the tank and heads. What a disappointment. At least I have 2 spare orings for my old cubis now since they break so easily.

Couldn't have said it better myself. All of that was dead on. I still really like the tank, but can't use it due to the coils. I'm not sure how they think it's okay to sell them. The Lyche Notch coils had the same issues, but they're basically the same design. Eleaf now has a Notch coil in the EC design, like an Atlantis or Triton. I'll be trying it as soon as I can find one for sale.

Reactions: chefjoosie

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

Can't find any info about a NEW version of the RBA?

chefjoosie

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Can't find any info about a NEW version of the RBA?
No. Even on the cubis pro page, under the listed heads for the tank, it has the old RBA base pictured. The closest they have to a new one is the QCS coils, which are floody as all get out. I'm kicking myself because I have 10 on pre order.

To be honest, I haven't entirely given up on the old RBA base. I'm going to build it with a shorter coil, and hope I can get it short enough not to choke airflow, and long enough not to flood.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
The notch coil on my Cubis Pro Tank is working perfectly. I'm using it on a Cuboid in TC SS316 mode set at 460 and 45watts. If I vape it with the airflow wide open it spits. I closed the airflow slightly and it vapes perfectly. No spitting or flooding. I have refilled it several times and the new top fill cap does prevent the coil from flooding.

I did have to play with the settings to get the vape and performance I wanted, but now it vapes great. I'm very impressed with the Joyetech Cubis Pro tank. Big improvement over the previous version.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I got 2 pro tanks arriving today and 3 regular cubis tanks already. I found a good technique to avoid (most) of the spit back with the .25 notch coils and the .5 from this video. Basically take a few no fire draws on it before you warm up the coil with a few 1 second fires. I just did it on both the coils after sitting over night and had no spit back. I do get a little spit back when first putting in coils or refilling the tank but it is tolerable with the technique I mentioned from that video.

I will try to update in a few days after I have a chance to run the pro tanks with the .25 and .5 coils.

edit youtube link was removed for some reason. google search for Dwaine Adkins youtube channel

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
How is it that the Pro (right) holds 4.0 ml but the Cubis (left) only holds 3.5?

edit to add: realize now I can fill it above the glass into the airflow ring. This makes it hard to top it off to the max fill line/point, even if using a flashlight pointed down while filling it.

Still doing comparisons of the tank using the 0.5 coil in TC mode on the pico (and a 1.5 MTL in another of each tank that I swap in/out on my istick 50w) so it is too early to be sure which I prefer overall. Each has it's pro's and cons (pro drip tip gets hotter, which seems contradictory given the extra airflow) but flavor and vapor production seems to be better in the Pro after a day or so of using it.

D6AOwXK.png

Last edited:
Reactions: gerrymi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread