Joyetech Ego ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

taotoo

Jun 22, 2015
A newbie here...

I have just bought an Ego One Mini, but don't like the hot, moist, dense vape.

I'm using a CLR 1 ohm atomizer.

I understand that making a higher-ohm coil might improve things for me.

Does anybody know what the thickness of the original CLR atomizer wire is - specifically I want to know whether the Kanthal no30 wire that I have would give a higher or lower ohmage, all other things being equal?

Grateful for any help..

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Glad you got the invadder sorted out. I almost got in on a group buy for one but the first runs on alot of things that I've bought were sketchy at best even my first dna 40 board was wonky. I've got $64 to my door on a Sig. 150w and $45 for the extra VS 30w for the wife. I guess I've turned into a vape snob. I was perfectly happy with my cheap devices then got to play with alot of high end toys and the difference in vape quality and flavors was too great to ignore.
Back to the ego one though I like it for the sheer simplicity and the stealth of the 1100 mah I got. Some have had problems with the tank and in all honesty it's a leaky little thing if not put togetner right. The rebuildable heads made a big difference in mine anyway they're small and fiddly but easy enough.

I have the Sig 100 + and it is without a doubt my fav device in as so far as the way my juice tastes. No matter what i put in the atty on top nop it gives the creameist smoothest Vape I have ever had, then made exquistely better with a Lemo 2 on top.
So you and I have a similar vaping profile.
It helps when speaking to someone, what you know of their history as it can give u a better idea as to whether something that works for many others, will necessarily work for you.
When I mentioned the K-Box, I should have added that I work at home and have 6 devices in front of me, each one with a different juice in it, different set up and i go back and forth. I would not have been able to say that the K-Box were a great device if it were my only one for it would not be.
But when you have 6-7, as no doubt you understand, you can still buy cheap ones that work as a back up but not your main device.
I love the SIG so much I am thinkking of either repeating it for $80 on FT or the 150 that you have for $15 more.
I dont Vape any higher than 22-25w.
People make the mistake of thinking that one must sub ohm or blow clouds, etc to use a 100 + device but thats not the case for many of us.
The power it gives, the longevity of the battery within and the great ship create the best Vape

This ego 1
im interested and now will bow out and follow the rest of the thread to watch.
Im also looking at another Joyetech thatso but but not yet sure which one i will get

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I've had my Ego One nearly a month now, and am still impressed with the battery life and power, and the nice vape it gives, especially in such a small size.

It frustrates me that it's so hard to see how much juice is in it. I've gotten a little better at it by learning how to hold it in a light just right, then tilting it. In low light situations, it's impossible. It might be easier with darker juice, but mine is very pale, nearly clear.

I transfer juice to a needle-top bottle to make refilling possible - it's impossible with the droppers that come on most of my juice. It's still hard to see and sometimes I overfill. :(

Also, sometimes the head comes loose and sticks to the chimney instead of staying where it belongs. Annoying, but easy enough to deal with so this is a very minor concern.

Even with all that though, the batter power, the size, the vape are so good ... I use mine every day and enjoy it.

Reactions: vjdossey

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Welcome Tao, maybe someone in here can let you know what wire Joyetech uses in the CLR head, as I have no idea. However if you want to rebuild first thing you need have to have a multimeter or ohmmeter. Multimeter with the test probes would be easier to use as you can measure the resistance at mostly any time. If you have this and if kanthal awg30 is the only wire you have I would suggest to go ahead and try a build on a 1.5 or 2mm rod/shaft with the same number of wraps as the original and see what resistance you get. If it too low you could add more wraps to increase resistance. For now, don't let the wraps to touch each other i.e make a microcoil or contact coil because that will decrease resistance. Some tips worth knowing in the future: the higher the awg, the thinner the wire and the higher the resistance it will have; and the thicker the rod used to wrap the wire the higher the resistance because it takes more wire when doing coils with the same number of wraps on different rods.

Here is the table with resistances the more common wire types and dimensions used in rebuilding. Resistances are shown here in ohms/inch. It doesn't show thickness, but you can find that easy in a google search and also generally you will see the thickness of the different wire when you buy it. awg30, for example, is 0.25mm. The table is taken from here, it's a good thread with info around the subject.

If any questions feel free to ask away. Hope my advice is not too confusing

Reactions: taotoo

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
A newbie here...

I have just bought an Ego One Mini, but don't like the hot, moist, dense vape.

I'm using a CLR 1 ohm atomizer.

I understand that making a higher-ohm coil might improve things for me.

Does anybody know what the thickness of the original CLR atomizer wire is - specifically I want to know whether the Kanthal no30 wire that I have would give a higher or lower ohmage, all other things being equal?

Grateful for any help..

I rebuilt all 5 of mine they were the .5 and it was a 5 wrap on a 3/32 shaft with 26 gage. I backed off of the wicking a bit and can chain vape longer without it going dry. Not sure on the 1 ohm prolly the same just more wraps. They're a little fiddly to build but after a few times it gets easier.

TXBiker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Center of Texas
I have the Sig 100 + and it is without a doubt my fav device in as so far as the way my juice tastes. No matter what i put in the atty on top nop it gives the creameist smoothest Vape I have ever had, then made exquistely better with a Lemo 2 on top.
So you and I have a similar vaping profile.
It helps when speaking to someone, what you know of their history as it can give u a better idea as to whether something that works for many others, will necessarily work for you.
When I mentioned the K-Box, I should have added that I work at home and have 6 devices in front of me, each one with a different juice in it, different set up and i go back and forth. I would not have been able to say that the K-Box were a great device if it were my only one for it would not be.
But when you have 6-7, as no doubt you understand, you can still buy cheap ones that work as a back up but not your main device.
I love the SIG so much I am thinkking of either repeating it for $80 on FT or the 150 that you have for $15 more.
I dont Vape any higher than 22-25w.
People make the mistake of thinking that one must sub ohm or blow clouds, etc to use a 100 + device but thats not the case for many of us.
The power it gives, the longevity of the battery within and the great ship create the best Vape

This ego 1
im interested and now will bow out and follow the rest of the thread to watch.
Im also looking at another Joyetech thatso but but not yet sure which one i will get

I didn't know if I would have an issue with the size of the Sig but ater a few days it's no issue. Works perfectly and like you said battery life is awesome. I use a modified Orchid at work around 35w with a 3mm dual coil at .4 and charge every couple of days. When I get home I'll throw on a tobeco super tank and kick the power up to 75w at .2 It's become my go to mod for everything except where I need something small. I took the ego one 1100 to the water park last weekend. My sig wouldn't fit the waterproof box. I put a new build in a clr head lightened up on the wicking so my max vg juice would flow better. Three 15ml bolltes in my pocket and I was good. My three favorite flavors share a similar profile so changing juice during the day didn't require a rewick. The ego one with tank installed fit my box with I.D. and cash and kept me going for the day.

Reactions: vjdossey

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Just got a 5 pack of the 0.5 CLR's from MVS and the first one is a dud. Just a constant burnt taste. Gonna try rebuilding it and see if I get any better results. I'm using a EVIC VT with the EGO Mega tank.

Thats one of the reasons i was watching.
I've owned 2 Joetech Delta ll atty's.
Both came with 2 coils each. Delta was $45 + 13% tax X 2 (Canadian)...1 Box 5 coils, X 2 at $25 + 13% tax and $17 + 13% tax (CAD) for the rebuildable decks. Not cheap by any means.
Both Deltas gave the best Vape.....with the 2 coils each that came with them.
Once i got into the retail box of 5.......it went to crap immediately. Dry hit, after dry hit, to burned out coil within 2 days, 20 minutes, 1 day, etc.
I still have a pack left and wont even bother to use them anymore.
Drilled out 2.5mm hole on one chimney to see if that made a difference but it didn't.
Finally gave up and rebuilt my coils but this was in the beginning of rebuilding and i was not able to get the same 0.5 ohm coil that it came with and the taste was just so so by comparison. Now I can do a proper 0.5 and the taste is very good again but it wont ever be as good as it was with those first 4 coils....but perhaps my taste has deepened a bit since then..

That might just be that I gave up on them for 2-3 months and purchased/coiled 2 Lemo 2's since, 2 x RDA (an old $5 iGo RDA from FT + after a drilled 2.0 hole rival any more expensive ones-so good I just reordered 4 more today) and a new Orchid V6 (clone) last week as I had forgotten about the Delta ll's.
Have since rebuilt both at 0.5 on 3.0mm and they are both very good.

BUT hearing you are having that problem with the retail version is what I was unfortunately waiting to hear. I wanted to know if it was the same issue all over again for I now won't bother to look at Joyetech again as I have about 7 full devices but really want just one that takes a good coil that can be my back up when its one of those bad coil wrapping days where none of them seem to work properly and its best to leave until the next...those are the days i want one.

So will have to really think about purchasing Joyetech again. I was thinking of this one as well as the new TC version you have, the evic (sp?), a mod and tank on top, the name of which escapes me momentarily but its all Joytech as well..

Good Luck. I do hope you have more success than I but in all honesty if you look thorugh the Reddit for Delta ll 3-4 months ago you will see many complaints about how it went downhill once they got to the retail version of coils.
NOT trying to put a damper on your Joyetech devices but keep in mide the rebuildable deck but I was really hoping to read that the 5-pack coils were going to ave improved :(

Thx

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
If those clr's are anything like the ego one's clr's they are over wicked. I had one in a box of 5 that worked good. It was as if they just cut a strip of cotton twisted and fed it through till it stopped. I cut the wicking almost in half and have been fine since.

I believe that is exactly what it is BUT...the ones that come with the attys themselves are perfect.
So you have to ask why?

Are they being made in 2 different spots?
If so, why cant one be like the other?
Why are the retails over wicked yet the 2 that come with the device are perfect?
You watch, if Matty Retros post is anything to go by, I suspect that the same will happen with these.

It might be different with the new ones for TC devices, but i dont know. Time will tell.
I've seen videos that show people re-wicking the pre-made coils, or clr's as you call them although i am not sure that that stands for...perhaps learning how to re-wick is the answer for some?

Anyhow IF the deck is anything like the Delta ll, its a pretty easy deck to work with and just as easy to rebuild...On the Delta you can either put it under the 2 screws or in the post holes below the screws. I am guessing that this ego ones deck is the same or close enough and therefore pretty easy to work with.

IF it turns out that the retail versions of these coils burn out then its time for people to start demanding the same quality coils as are sold with the atty's themselves.
But if they are.....then I would hold off on the TC Control device with coils in case that happens as well. I have one TC device, the heatvape that i have yet to try out TC on so I cant speak for what its like to coil

TX BIKER: (edited)

If I am correct and you have 5 of the Ego one, that would tell me you really love this device. Knowing how you Vape, the equipment you use, etc, i wouold know that if you really like it that much than it has to be a great little device.
Please confirm if that is correct and if so, i may just buy one and not hold off...

Last edited:

MattyRetro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Acton, Maine, United States
So I rebuilt one last night and the flavor is off. I used a 26ga 6 wrap 2.0mm coil that measured .78. I wicked it with some Japanese cotton, primed it and put it all together. Not too bad but the flavor is just weak. Not liking the taste at all. Nothing even close to what I get from my Subtank mini's. I may grab some more temp coils and use them. In my opinion the EGO Mega tank just isn't designed well. I don't think the coil gets enough juice to keep up with my moderate vaping style. Maybe less wick is the answer. I may tinker with it some more soon but for now I'm just gonna stick with the subtanks.

taotoo

Jun 22, 2015
Welcome Tao............Hope my advice is not too confusing

I rebuilt all 5 of mine they were the .5 and it was a 5 wrap on a 3/32 shaft with 26 gage. I backed off of the wicking a bit and can chain vape longer without it going dry. Not sure on the 1 ohm prolly the same just more wraps. They're a little fiddly to build but after a few times it gets easier.

Thank you both for your replies - not too confusing and very helpful! I looked at a fresh 1 ohm head and the wire seemed to be about the same thickness as my 30 gauge, though not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between, say, 28 and 30 visually.

I went ahead and built my first coil - I should have concentrated more as I only managed to fit in 5 turns (the original had 6), due to the turns being unevenly spaced and the whole thing slanted etc, but I made the turns significantly bigger in diameter in the hope of ending up with a lower resistance. Have no idea if I put in enough or too much cotton, but it seems to work okay.

Don't yet have a meter, but suspect that my new coil is somewhat higher than 1 ohm, as it seems to gurgle/pop less and put out cooler vapor than the stock coil. This is great as I can now take a long gentle draw without the heat, and I *think* there is more flavor - hard to tell as my taste buds are all over the place having just given up smoking. Anyway it's very promising - next I'll try and fit in more turns in case it increases the flavor further. Must get a meter as adivsed so I have some sort of reference point.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Nice Tao, sounds like you're a natural at this. I haven't tried this rebuildable head yet but I've always had the impression that it could get a little complicated to build as I thought the design is prone to either or both, dry hits or flooding but that has mostly to do with the amount of cotton we use in them but it but it looks you got it form the first try so that's good. Yes tried to calculate your build and I would say you are anywhere between 1.1-1.5 ohms depending on the diameter on the shaft you used for wrapping. A small observation, the bigger the diameter of turns, the more wire length you'll use and the higher resistance you will have as result, not lower. This has a big effect on the thinner wires as the resistances on them are high and smaller effect on thicker wire that have lower resistances. i.e a 5 turn 30 gauge ( you'll also see gauge written as 'ga') coil will be significantly higher in resistance than a 3 turn coil of the same wire, while a 5 turn 26 gauge coil will be about the same resistance as a 3 turn coil of the same gauge. You'll come across this and other tips as you make more and different builds and read or discuss in the forum.
Also here is coil calculator made by a generous user here, it will be helpful until you get more gear :) Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators You have a 'how it works' button on the bottom left corner of the page but it's pretty straight forward...al lot of inputs which doesn't hurt but basically you fill in everything according to your preference and you get the result in the small panel on the right. On the page there are also other usefull tools like ohm's law calc or a calculator to mix your own liquid ( DIY - if you'll ever going to decide to get into that as well :) ). Welcome to the rebuildable group as well, hope you'll enjoy it

Edit: Here is the source for the calculator in case you'll need it I made a calculator | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

taotoo

Jun 22, 2015
Nice Tao, sounds like you're a natural at this. I haven't tried this rebuildable head yet but I've always had the impression that it could get a little complicated to build as I thought the design is prone to either or both, dry hits or flooding but that has mostly to do with the amount of cotton we use in them but it but it looks you got it form the first try so that's good.

It was actually relatively straightforward - certainly when compared to messing around with my eRoll heads. I think I might be getting a bit of flooding when I refill the tank - maybe I'm overfilling it - and sometimes after refilling it hardly produces any vapour for a while - not sure what that might be as the wick isn't dry.

Yes tried to calculate your build and I would say you are anywhere between 1.1-1.5 ohms depending on the diameter on the shaft you used for wrapping. A small observation, the bigger the diameter of turns, the more wire length you'll use and the higher resistance you will have as result, not lower. This has a big effect on the thinner wires as the resistances on them are high and smaller effect on thicker wire that have lower resistances. i.e a 5 turn 30 gauge ( you'll also see gauge written as 'ga') coil will be significantly higher in resistance than a 3 turn coil of the same wire, while a 5 turn 26 gauge coil will be about the same resistance as a 3 turn coil of the same gauge.
Ah - I mistyped - I did eventually figure out the length/width thing and so meant higher resistance, not lower resistance. I wrapped it around a screwdriver of about 2.6mm - I think the original inner coil diameter was more like 2.0mm or so. Thanks for the tip about coil diameter having less effect on thicker wire.

Reactions: proteckt3d

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
after refilling it hardly produces any vapour for a while - not sure what that might be as the wick isn't dry.
Most of the times this happens when there is too much liquid at the coil, and the power provided cannot help the coil to vaporize the liquid inside it ( liquid in the cotton section that's under coil) that's it feels like the coil isn't even working. This is called flooding. :) Your coil ID is ok, you could try a smaller one like 2mm to see how it works but I would try just experimenting with the amount of cotton first. I would start be leaving the legs a bit more longer to stop some of the liquid feed. If not put a bigger amount of wick. Basically you need more cotton to absorb the excess liquid the coil currently gets. Don't worry if you put too much, you will know as it will start drying out once you start vaping. Generally the more cotton is in excess the faster it will dry out i.e with a lot of wick was used to wick in a tank build it could dry out at the first 4-5 vapes. It's just a matter of trial an error. These are issues that shouldn't happen in tanks at this moment in time looking where the market is now. A lot of the bigger rebuildable tanks have solved this kind of issues in the last year or two. Lately I see people suggesting other devices like Lemo v1 to beginners and I don't see complaints....anyway that's a different class device and I'm rambling :)

taotoo

Jun 22, 2015
Most of the times this happens when there is too much liquid at the coil, and the power provided cannot help the coil to vaporize the liquid inside it ( liquid in the cotton section that's under coil) that's it feels like the coil isn't even working. This is called flooding. :) Your coil ID is ok, you could try a smaller one like 2mm to see how it works but I would try just experimenting with the amount of cotton first. I would start be leaving the legs a bit more longer to stop some of the liquid feed. If not put a bigger amount of wick. Basically you need more cotton to absorb the excess liquid the coil currently gets. Don't worry if you put too much, you will know as it will start drying out once you start vaping. Generally the more cotton is in excess the faster it will dry out i.e with a lot of wick was used to wick in a tank build it could dry out at the first 4-5 vapes. It's just a matter of trial an error. These are issues that shouldn't happen in tanks at this moment in time looking where the market is now. A lot of the bigger rebuildable tanks have solved this kind of issues in the last year or two. Lately I see people suggesting other devices like Lemo v1 to beginners and I don't see complaints....anyway that's a different class device and I'm rambling :)

Thanks - that all makes perfect sense - feels like I've got some knowledge now to draw on while experimenting.

At the risk of asking too many questions:

Before my Ego One I had an eRoll and various Dekang tobacco flavours. When vaped, the juice tasted exactly how it smelled out of the bottle, just less strong. For example the RY4 smelled of tobacco and caramel, and tasted exactly the same.

When I put that same juice in my Ego One, a few things happen:

1. The overall taste is muted
2. Almost all of the sweet caramel taste disappears
3. There is a pervading "hot milk" type of taste (though now no longer quite so hot with the higher-ohm coil, or the original coil with some gunk on it)

With my Ego One I also received a couple of Joyetech juices (one an RY4). Out of the bottle these both smell very sweet. When I vape them in the Ego One the sweetness is again much reduced, but I can perhaps still taste a bit of the sweetness, presumably due to it being a sweeter liquid. The hot milk taste is still there.

If I put that sweet Joyetch juice in my eRoll, it tastes very sweet indeed - just like it smells out of the bottle.

So my question is: why does the eRoll give the exact same flavour that the juice smells of, but the Ego One removes 90% of the sweetness, and adds hot milk?

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Tao I never used these erolls but looking at the replaceable head it looks like the same system as an older joyetech product in which they were using silica as wick. I switched to microcoil and cotton wicks I think at the same time and I couldn't say which one changed vape for the better for me ( was using silica and mesh, but mesh mostly :) and standard coils - with the wraps spaced- ). It was both for sure but I still tend to think cotton has more to do with that. Now that's out of the way for my taste buds I think cotton is superior to silica when it come to which one gives a cleaner flavour. Therefor I can only assume that your problem could be caused by a improper build on your Ego clr, or just failure of the people that designed this to make a good enough head that can handle imperfect builds too. Again, as I don't own one I can't yet share my experience to support or deny the extent of the latter. I would expect the ego one clr head to be an upgrade to the eroll head in terms of quality of vapour produced so hopefully someone in here can come along and give you some tips or show a photo of their built, or you could upload a photo for us to see your build, maybe we can spot something that your not doing right? In any case your 3 points described all indicate that you have a bad feeding setup. The taste of hot dairy products especially would indicate that the wick is getting too close to being dry in my opinion

taotoo

Jun 22, 2015
Tao I never used these erolls but looking at the replaceable head it looks like the same system as an older joyetech product in which they were using silica as wick. I switched to microcoil and cotton wicks I think at the same time and I couldn't say which one changed vape for the better for me ( was using silica and mesh, but mesh mostly :) and standard coils - with the wraps spaced- ). It was both for sure but I still tend to think cotton has more to do with that.
Thanks - I've a feeling the eRoll wick might be silica - it's kind of strandy and perhaps a bit plasticky.
Now that's out of the way for my taste buds I think cotton is superior to silica when it come to which one gives a cleaner flavour.
Hmmm I suppose this might be a personal thing - occasionally I get a bit of a burnt taste (with both eroll and ego one), and I actually don't mind it as it's a bit reminiscent of a cigarette.
Therefor I can only assume that your problem could be caused by a improper build on your Ego clr, or just failure of the people that designed this to make a good enough head that can handle imperfect builds too. Again, as I don't own one I can't yet share my experience to support or deny the extent of the latter. I would expect the ego one clr head to be an upgrade to the eroll head in terms of quality of vapour produced so hopefully someone in here can come along and give you some tips or show a photo of their built, or you could upload a photo for us to see your build, maybe we can spot something that your not doing right? In any case your 3 points described all indicate that you have a bad feeding setup.
I've had a look while dry burning it, and my current (stock) coil appears to have a hotspot - the first coil glows hot immediately, and the other five only slowly heat up over time. It tastes fine though, and if I change the coil for another I don't notice much difference.
The taste of hot dairy products especially would indicate that the wick is getting too close to being dry in my opinion
I'm finding that I'm noticing the hot dairy taste a lot less with time. I'm beginning to suspect that if ever something doesn't taste quite right I should just wait a week and my brain might get used to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread