Kanger Evod review

Status
Not open for further replies.

gal66stang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
Austin
I really like the eVod also. I use a 1.8 coil and check the tightness of the coil to the base at every change. SunVapes is where I bought mine. He give a little tutorial, which was nice because I probably would have thrown the eVod out the second fill. Two important things that the tutorial said was; 1) check the tightness of the coil to the base at every refill and 2) do not over tighten to the battery - just finger tight, and just so. Over tightening will cause leakage.

I overtightened and it leaked...and the coil does get loose. If I forget, I get a little gurlgle...turn it upside down, tighten the coil and I am back in business. LOVE the eVod...so much easier and able to troubleshoot instead of tossing.

Ang-EC

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
East Coast Canada
I guess my question is: How do the bottom coil clearomizers perform compared to the top coils? How does a Kanger EVOD, or even a Kanger T3 for that matter, compare to a top coil clearomizer?
The main difference, that I notice, is; top coil clearomizers give a hotter vape than bottom coils. I suppose this is because of the distance between the heated coil and your mouth.

I haven't been overly pleased with the EVOD but after a month of experimenting I've finally got it working correctly.
The main problem I had was over-tightening it on the battery. This pushes the center post up and caused gurgling. I have also removed one wick and plugged one air hole.
It now works the best it ever has, for me, but I still prefer the Stardust type and the mini Nova.

yotasavg

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Chico, CA
They are the same length, but baby T3 has a longer mouthpiece. Evod's heavier because of the metal casing. Other than that, it's a wash. The main advantage of the eVod is the price of replacement coils--they are half the price of T3 coils because you don't have to buy a base--just the coil unit.

Thanks for that, Katya. I think I'll take a try at the Evod then. I also like the metal casing as I think it makes the clearo less susceptible to ambient temp changes. I also have a handful of T3 coils which I've read can be used in the Evod, so that sounds like a good investment to me!

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
Sorry... I've heard good things, but I'm like you--I don't like dual coils and I don't like long wicks. They look like jellyfish in a tank...

HaHaHa!! That's a great analogy. :laugh:

I got an iClear 30 to try... Hate it! It doesn't leak but the taste that I get from it is horrible. There was good vapor but my favorite juice in it made me gag. Even after washing and soaking in vodka and letting it dry overnight. I will not get another.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for that, Katya. I think I'll take a try at the Evod then. I also like the metal casing as I think it makes the clearo less susceptible to ambient temp changes. I also have a handful of T3 coils which I've read can be used in the Evod, so that sounds like a good investment to me!

I'm sure that they are interchangeable... I might give it a try. :D

Just make sure that you screw that little coil tightly into the base of your eVod or the thing will leak like crazy. Also, they tend to get loose in normal vaping (or during refilling) so always check that connection.

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
HaHaHa!! That's a great analogy. :laugh:

I got an iClear 30 to try... Hate it! It doesn't leak but the taste that I get from it is horrible. There was good vapor but my favorite juice in it made me gag. Even after washing and soaking in vodka and letting it dry overnight. I will not get another.

Come on, don't they? I have a mini Vision ViVi Nova but I ordered a blue tube to hide those things...

I'm not a fan of dual coils, either. BTW, I wrote to Innokin to inquire if they are planning to make a single-coil clearo and he said that they were working on it. I might give it a try--I really like that mouthpiece! :p

Is it as fun to use as it looks?

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
Come on, don't they? I have a mini Vision ViVi Nova but I ordered a blue tube to hide those things...

I'm not a fan of dual coils, either. BTW, I wrote to Innokin to inquire if they are planning to make a single-coil clearo and he said that they were working on it. I might give it a try--I really like that mouthpiece! :p

Is it as fun to use as it looks?

The mouthpiece is what picqued my interest. Boy was I disappointed! I believe it is the source of that nasty metallic taste that does not diminish after cleaning. I don't get that taste from other metal driptips, only with this one. I don't want to deter you from trying it because you may have a different experience with it. All I know is the iClear 30 is not for me.

My advice... stick with the Evods. They perform so much better in my opinion and none have failed. ;)

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
Oh no! I'm so disappointed! I love that mouthpiece... :facepalm: :lol:

Thanks for letting me know. If they offer a single coil version, I may still give it a try. Is that mouthpiece removable? Can you put your own drip tip in?

Nope! AND if you don't keep it straight, it will start to gurgle. Another thing is cleaning the mouthpiece. I don't see any straightforward way to clean it other than a LONG vodka soak, then a LONG rinse, then a LONG drying cycle. It's metal after all... wouldn't want it to rust.

Can you tell how much I hate it?!!!

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
My EVODs are the best thing I've tried other than my slightly modded ProTank...

My t3s were bad leakers and even after rebuilds which solved the leaking, gurgles gurgles gurgles

ProTank stock heads don't do 100%vg well adjustments necessary

Both ProTank and EVOD shine with a VV device at 4.0v or higher using a 2.5ohm coil..

Lower resistance coils didn't impress on non VV but, worked well enough. VV on the LR coils was the same or worse when turned up...

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Don't worry, there's too much out here to try. Trial and error. That's how we learn.

Next... I want to learn about the Protank! ;)

PS: No jellyfish in that glass tank though! :laugh:

No jellyfish. Just keep in mind that ProTank was designed for APVs, like VAMO. It's big and heavy and the only coils available ATM are higher resistance (2.6Ω). ProTank will work on any eGo-class battery, but it will make it look like a lollipop!

What batteries are you currently using?

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
You modded it already??? What did you do to it, Eddie?
Guess I made it sound bigger than it is. Modded..lol it's just the heads.

I use the EVOD insulator grommet on the ProTank heads. It restricts the air flow slightly easing that airy draw. Some just use the whole EVOD head which I am right now and it hasn't made a big difference from just using the grommet even though it does have a narrower top post opening.

Also I rebuild natural wick, which to me actually gives a better vapor as well as restrict the air flow a tiny bit more. The natural wick doesn't wick as fast but, seems to hold more liquid. Once soaked has no issues keeping up. Just needs longer initially to absorb.

I am considering hacking the metal tip off and maybe making a510 drip tip connection but,I would really have to figure that all out. Where the glass tank ends.. is it wide enough and deep enough to be hollowed to fit...

I have 3 so maybe.. Just maybe...

Last edited:

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
No jellyfish. Just keep in mind that ProTank was designed for APVs, like VAMO. It's big and heavy and the only coils available ATM are higher resistance (2.6Ω). ProTank will work on any eGo-class battery, but it will make it look like a lollipop!

What batteries are you currently using?

Twists and spinners ATM but I just ordered and waiting for an Evic. That's one of the reasons that I haven't tried the Protank yet.

I want my setups to look good! Besides, I gave up lollipops years ago. ;)

mmikee

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
st louis
I have about 10 Evods and a Protank. I actually like the Evod better. Not sure if I can put my finger on why though.
I also rebuilt a few of the heads last night with 32 Kanthal and plain old silica wick. Took just a few minutes and was easy as heck.

Also, I have found that the heads are all a bit different. I take long, slow drags, and I pull out one flavor wick. My mother has a couple Evods as well. She double hits really hard. On her heads I actuall add one more flavor wick to keep it from gugling.
All in all these are my favorite clearos I have ever tried.

A close second for me is the Vapeonly....after a bit of wick modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread