Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
WOW! I'm impressed. What material did you use for your wick? I'm very tempted to try cotton wick replacements, but only when my old wicks get tired. I don't want to ruin a good clearo. :D

I'm using 1mm hemp twine natural from love pedal on eBay. Boiled thrice, new water each time,20minutes a time. Then oven dried immediately overnight on the WARM setting.150-170°. It's only treated with corn starch to make the twine. So you don't have to boil but,I would recommend it.

I don't need to tell you but, for others all you need is a standard round toothpick to make the coil. A thick paper clip to hold the coil in place in the atomizer body while completing legs. Slide 1 piece through the coil and 1 piece over...6 wraps/32g Kanthal a-1 should give you 2.3-2.5ohms around the toothpick..

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
Twists and spinners ATM but I just ordered and waiting for an Evic. That's one of the reasons that I haven't tried the Protank yet.

I want my setups to look good! Besides, I gave up lollipops years ago. ;)

You'd be fine using the ProTank on those until you get a larger device. Comes with a graduated thread skirt that smoothes the transition. Really doesn't look bad. It isn't as big as say,the aga-t2. Kanger has images on it on an ego type battery with the skirt on their website...

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I have about 10 Evods and a Protank. I actually like the Evod better. Not sure if I can put my finger on why though.
I also rebuilt a few of the heads last night with 32 Kanthal and plain old silica wick. Took just a few minutes and was easy as heck.

Also, I have found that the heads are all a bit different. I take long, slow drags, and I pull out one flavor wick. My mother has a couple Evods as well. She double hits really hard. On her heads I actuall add one more flavor wick to keep it from gugling.
All in all these are my favorite clearos I have ever tried.

A close second for me is the Vapeonly....after a bit of wick modding.

It's the airy draw. Try either just using the EVOD insulator grommet on the ProTank head or an entire EVOD head. Makes that small difference. The top post on the EVOD head is narrower as well. I think the final difference is the main tube of the ProTank body is WIDE. Wider than the EVOD slightly.

The actual air inlets are identical in size and numbers so the difference lies somewhere after them..

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
It's the airy draw. Try either just using the EVOD insulator grommet on the ProTank head or an entire EVOD head. Makes that small difference. The top post on the EVOD head is narrower as well. I think the final difference is the main tube of the ProTank body is WIDE. Wider than the EVOD slightly.

The actual air inlets are identical in size and numbers so the difference lies somewhere after them..

I know I'm going to sound dumb but... what is the grommet? :confused:

I'm not a fan of the T3 because of the airy draw but I'm a big fan of the Evod and I have lots of Evod replacement heads. Can I use a grommet from a used up head? I don't want to waste a new one...

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I know I'm going to sound dumb but... what is the grommet? :confused:

I'm not a fan of the T3 because of the airy draw but I'm a big fan of the Evod and I have lots of Evod replacement heads. Can I use a grommet from a used up head? I don't want to waste a new one...
Don't make me get my drawing I did for another user on my s3 in s memo. It is a picasso of e-cig diagrams...lol
Wait for it...

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
SMemo_02.jpg

lmao..I still chuckle every time I run into it. It's the yellow part. Gasket/grommet same difference...

The other thing is with the ProTank if you use natural wick you have to trim the wick tight/ close to the wick opening. Messes with the air exchange otherwise. With Vg when it's right you'll get a steady pile up of bubbles...

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
SMemo_02.jpg

lmao..I still chuckle every time I run into it. It's the yellow part. Gasket/grommet same difference...

The other thing is with the ProTank if you use natural wick you have to trim the wick tight/ close to the wick opening. Messes with the air exchange otherwise. With Vg when it's right you'll get a steady pile up of bubbles...

What are you talking about! This looks beautiful to me!! :wub: I need visuals to understand... soooo can I use one from a used up head instead of using a new one?

Thanks so much for being patient with me..... :blush:

PS: I'm copying this graph to my computer... with your permission of course!

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
It's copyrighted. Kidding. Of course you can and thanks. If you do rebuild with natural wick the ideal length is just enough to fill the opening but, no further extended past the gasket on the top post that seals the two tubes together. That gasket isn't in the picasso.

That wick length is necessary on the ProTank but, not the EVOD. Couldn't tell you why. You could use paper towel in the EVOD and it would probably work. ( Don't use paper towel I was using it as an example to display the forgiving wicking properties of the EVOD) You never know who's reading..

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
20130411_114402.jpg

20130411_111859.jpg

That first image is a hook I made with the excess 32g Kanthal a-1 I trimmed from the legs to feed the wick. You'll want like a 4" length of 32g Kanthal a-1. Heat prior to using to remove impurities and makes it more malleable..
Disassemble pulling the top post gently but, firmly while wiggling slightly. It's a friction fit. Use the needle nose pliers . Then remove positive pin. Should come out easy.

Un hook positive wire from insulator gasket/grommet and pull out with your fingers.

Remove old coil and wick.

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
20130411_112629.jpg

20130411_112727.jpg

Be sure the wires correlate with the side of the coil they are on. Slide the longer wire through the center of insulator gasket. INSIDE. This is your positive. Flex the other wire to a 90°. Insert gasket pinching it slightly keeping the flexed wire on the OUTSIDE of the gasket. This is your negative.

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
20130411_112942.jpg

20130411_113013.jpg

Flex the positive straight wire to a90° opposite the other negative wire and insert your positive pin.

You should have one wire through and under the gasket and one outside and above the gasket.

Make sure your coil is aligned. Feel free to use the toothpick to adjust and center. Then trim the excess wire as close as possible at the base.

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
20130411_113657.jpg

20130411_113805.jpg

Place additional flavor wick on top of coil. Align. Replace top post keeping flavor wick aligned and press into place against a hard surface. I suggest using some kind of buffer between your thumb and atomizer. It could dent a wood table so use some kind of buffer there too.

A cloth or paper towel work just fine as a buffer.

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
20130411_113910.jpg

Replace the gasket that seals the atomizer and body tubes together and whhaaa laaa. You've just rebuilt your first EVOD or ProTank head.

Just did that real quick.. hope it helps..
I used the extra 32g Kanthal a-1 I trimmed from the legs to make a hook to help feed the coil wick through the wick opening on the far side. That is the 1mm hemp twine. Natural wick expands so 2 pieces is plenty...

Also this setup allows you to replace the natural wick without having to replace the still good coil should the wick go before the coil. Remove old wick. Quick dry burn off the coil only. Replace new wick..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread