Status
Not open for further replies.

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
Great thread. I've been trying to rebuild my pro-tank atomizers with some success, but most of my attempts end up with a "atomizer short" message on my evic. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is the way I'm threading the wire. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Everything in your diagram looks correct. The reason you are probably getting the short is because none of the ends of the wire leads can stick out .. if there is some of it sticking out it will cause the short. On Protanks and Evods it is simple to get the wire to be flush with the screw, with none of it protruding. Here's a trick for doing that .. what you do is first put the screw in so everything is held in tight .. the ends of your wires will be sticking out ... now wiggle the wire back and forth, wiggle it snuggly against the screw and it will break off. It will break flush to the screw, so now none of it will be protruding. When it is done that way there won't be a short.

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
I have the Peaches n Cream yarn, it works OK and gives nice flavor. Just be sure you boil it for at least 30 mins first, I then hang it on a hanger and let it dry by itself overnight. It makes a nice wick but I personally prefer the silica wick. I chain vape 7-8 ml a day, a caramel DIY and so I like to clean my coil every 2-3 days because I don't like any gunk on it. With the silica wicks I just run it under hot water for a few minutes, then give it a dry burn ... and it's clean as a whistle and I can start vaping it again right away. The yarn has a hard time keeping up with my chain vaping but the major disadvantage for me is you can not dry burn the yarn. I do like using it as a flavor wick though.

If you use a paper clip (or the needle of a syringe) as a stabilizer for the silica it doesn't fray as you wrap it, the only time I've had any fraying on the silica is if I don't use anything as a stabilizer when I'm wrapping it.

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
You can dry burn with cotton. Pull out the wick, dry burn and rinse coil, replace the wick with a brand new one (if you want). Couple minutes max. I'm finding that loose strands of cotton from a ball absorb a lot of juice fast. I drip a drop of juice on both sides and one on the coil and then immediately use it. Had to mess with it at first, but I'm lovin it now. Braided fibers probably do slow down the wicking a bit.

Ooh I just saw "Provari + Protanks" in your signature.
1) Jealous!
2) Cotton on higher voltages probably won't keep up regardless.

I would be curious to see if anyone has used cotton over 4.2v without burning it.

:)

Last edited:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
Idk guy about silica but i am sold on cotton wicks. I double boil them just because when i pour the water out of the first boil i can smell the cotton in it so as a precaution i boil again in new brita filtered water and when i slowly pour it out there is no cotton smell left. That is how i get the cotton wicks I use to have a clean pure flavor. Also double boiling seems to puff up the wick making it more absorbing when it dries. I boil for 10 min then drain't and refill and boil for 10 more min. Then drain and dry. The strands will have absolute no flavor left in them and be a bit puffyer and more absorbing.

Well i do use silica wicks that is until the stock head burns out then the wick and coil go right in the trash and are replaced by cotton and 32 kanthal

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
You can dry burn with cotton. Pull out the wick, dry burn and rinse coil, replace the wick. Couple minutes max. I'm finding that loose strands of cotton from a ball absorb a lot of juice fast. I drip a drop of juice on both sides and one on the coil and then immediately use it. Had to mess with it at first, but I'm lovin it now. Braided fibers probably do slow down the wicking a bit.

Ooh I just saw "Provari + Protanks" in your signature.
1) Jealous!
2) Cotton on higher voltages probably won't keep up regardless.

I would be curious to see if anyone has used cotton over 4.2v without burning it.

:)

I'd rather just make a new coil than remove a cotton wick to do the dry burn, then have to get the wick back inside the coil. What do you use to get the cotton back into the coil? The combo of a ProTank with a Provari is heaven .. vapes great together and looks kewl too :)

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
I keep reading al this talk about no resistance wire and keep lmfao

first off i dont know why they call it no resistance wire because there is no such thing lol all wire has resistance lol all wire Christ even hyper cooled super conducting wire offers a measurable resistance.

It should be called low resistance wire. Because any material or wire that offers no resistance to electrical current would be a f#cking mirrical of science and win Nobel prizes.

So unless you are firing a beam of pure electrisity though the vacuum off space with nothing but a empty void in its path some how. All material offers resistance to electrical current. Its a basic law of physics.

You can take that no resistance wire and give it to the fat skiny guy who will put it in the round square cabinet right next to the tesseract i made. Lol lol lol

Last edited:

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
What do you use to get the cotton back into the coil?

Right now I'm using strands from a cotton ball. I'll just stretch it out, find a good section to pull out (parallel fibers),roll it up in my fingers (but not twisting it up, just pushing the fibers together), cut a section out of that, twist one end a little to make it somewhat pointy, snip the one curled up fiber that's inevitably sticking out, and feed it through the coil. Sounds like a lot typed out, but it's nothin. Short version is: I just stick it through lol.

I'm such a perfectionist I didn't like the idea at first, but you can make a nice uniform wick with the strands and it wicks wonderfully. A little hit or miss at first because I liked the airy 10 second draws, but that burns it. Love it now with a tighter draw. No issues anymore. Too much juice being sucked into the coil area.

Last edited:

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
HELP HELP HELP!!!

I just ordered this, is it wrong?

Kanthal A1 wire 32 Gauge 100 FT (0.25oz) Resistance Resistor AWG A-1

images

Right on Sexy! You're going to nail it!

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I keep reading al this talk about no resistance wire and keep lmfao

first off i dont know why they call it no resistance wire because there is no such thing lol all wire has resistance lol all wire Christ even hyper cooled super conducting wire offers a measurable resistance.

It should be called low resistance wire. Because any material or wire that offers no resistance to electrical current would be a f#cking mirrical of science and win Nobel prizes.

So unless you are firing a beam of pure electrisity though the vacuum off space with nothing but a empty void in its path some how. All material offers resistance to electrical current. Its a basic law of physics.

You can take that no resistance wire and give it to the fat skiny guy who will put it in the round square cabinet right next to the tesseract i made. Lol lol lol

This made me laugh, but probably not for the reason you intended.

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
Ugh. I HATE WalMart, but I'll swing by when I get back.

Same here. Thats why I use butchers string found in the pantry & available at most grocery stores. 100% cotton, no boiling needed. Haven't needed to rebuild my protank heads yet, but been doing my vivas with butchers string for quite a while.

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
Same here. Thats why I use butchers string found in the pantry & available at most grocery stores. 100% cotton, no boiling needed. Haven't needed to rebuild my protank heads yet, but been doing my vivas with butchers string for quite a while.

Ah, you're my new favorite person. I was going to research that actually, I remember my mom using it and then try to figure out where the heck to find that. I guess near the cooking utensils and stuff at HEB or where ever? That would great and mean I don't have to go near "The W Word". (Plus the one nearest to me is disgusting - my shoes should NOT stick to the floor of a department store).

Gah, seriously... this is, like, the best message forum. You guys rock it.

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
Picked some up for a roast lovely wife made, had to ask at as it's not easy to find, but think it was near their utensils. I use a #2 sewing needle to wrap it like the OP, tried without it but the coil is too tight and burns thru. You can separate the strands to get whatever thickness you want. I find cotton has a slightly different taste then silica, perhaps cleaner I dunno... But was concerned about silica fragments when examining used wicks under a magnifying glass.

Light Seeker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Houston TX
Couple tips found out the hard way when rebuilding with cotton....
... Never ever do a dry burn. Will immediately burn your wick, and taste terrible forever afterward.
... Always use a needle, paper clip, or something like a jewelers screwdriver to wrap. Without, your coil is way too tight & will burn.
... Always soak your newly rebuilt head before using. I've found 15 minutes is minimum, more is better.
... Don't bother trying to make your wick last forever like you may do with silica. Since you can't dry burn, they crud up. Simply replace with a new one.
... Always check resistance before using. Fried an ego battery with a shorted coil. Doh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread