RDA Kennedy 24mm RDA thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Looking in to the Tsunami(very similar but with a better post set up IMO) my question is about the airflow. Does it leak given that the coils are directly above the only airflow? Had minor issues with the Mutation X V4 and leaking but wasnt too bad and I could always cover those holes up.

Honestly, I can tell you that you're better off spending the money and getting a Kennedy 24. It'll last you a while longer and you get great service in case anything goes wrong, which it most likely won't. I've heard of tsunami's leaking vs Kennedy's. The deck on a Kennedy is designed to work with their caps so that even if they're fully turned over on their sides, they still won't leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Thanks! I am definitely looking at a Kennedy as well, but right now its just not in the budget.

I have too many lol
4e55c109ae0224faad78f443e74fb6c0.jpg

And I'm not even picturing one of my 25's there

Reactions: Darth Omerta

michael69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
London
Apologies for re-opening an old thread, but I have a question relating to the Kennedy mods and RDAs.

I have a 24mm 2-post and Roundhouse 2, and I'm looking at buying either the Ruby 2 25mm, or the 25mm Roundhouse 2 plus 25mm Kennedy rda, and I can't decide which (here in the UK, it's actually slightly cheaper to buy the Roundhouse 2 plus RDA than it is the Ruby 2, but that's not the issue)

Does anyone have experience with both these options?

What would be the advantage of the Ruby? i.e. is there less voltage drop-off because of its fully-hybrid nature...

Or would they be, essentially, the same (hence my question)...

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Apologies for re-opening an old thread, but I have a question relating to the Kennedy mods and RDAs.

I have a 24mm 2-post and Roundhouse 2, and I'm looking at buying either the Ruby 2 25mm, or the 25mm Roundhouse 2 plus 25mm Kennedy RDA, and I can't decide which (here in the UK, it's actually slightly cheaper to buy the Roundhouse 2 plus RDA than it is the Ruby 2, but that's not the issue)

Does anyone have experience with both these options?

What would be the advantage of the Ruby? i.e. is there less voltage drop-off because of its fully-hybrid nature...

Or would they be, essentially, the same (hence my question)...

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Paul
Advantage with the Roundhouse is you have the option to run other Atty's on it, with the Ruby you're don't since it's all one unit

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Yes, hence my question... there doesn't seem to be any reason to buy a Ruby, unless there's a lower voltage drop or something (because it's completely integrated)...

Anyone been able to compare the two setups?

Cheers,

Paul

It's an incredible mod. I was just sent one.
4f5f3dd23da9b907baccd48d37449364.jpg

I have a Roundhouse 24mm & 25mm in copper & a Roundhouse 2 25mm in stainless. The Ruby is worth it, one of the best made mods on the market along with the Roundhouses.

michael69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
London
Thanks Tom,

I know they're both great... I have the 24mm Roundhouse 2 with the 2 post RDA.

I want to buy either the 25mm Ruby 2, OR the 25mm Roundhouse 2 with 25mm RDA; my question is which....would there be an advantage buying the Ruby over the Roundhouse?

Since you have both setups, is there a difference in performance between the two? (i.e. is there less voltage drop on the Ruby because it's fully integrated)

Is the Roundhouse 2/RDA combo essentially the same in performance as the Ruby 2?

What are your findings?

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Thanks Tom,

I know they're both great... I have the 24mm Roundhouse 2 with the 2 post RDA.

I want to buy either the 25mm Ruby 2, OR the 25mm Roundhouse 2 with 25mm RDA; my question is which....would there be an advantage buying the Ruby over the Roundhouse?

Since you have both setups, is there a difference in performance between the two? (i.e. is there less voltage drop on the Ruby because it's fully integrated)

Is the Roundhouse 2/RDA combo essentially the same in performance as the Ruby 2?

What are your findings?

Cheers,

Paul

The Ruby is going to end up a couple mm shorter than the roundhouse/K25 combo. You also get one less set of threads to clean, but get a tough to reach topside battery contact (sandpaper rubberbanded to a chopstick). Less pressure on the positive end of the battery; since the contact is wider than an atty's 510.

Aesthetically, the Ruby looks cleaner.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Thanks Verb, that's very helpful...

Does the wider contact and less pressure on the positive mean that the Ruby hits slightly harder do you think?

Cheers,

P

I wouldn't think it helps it hit any harder, just less chance of denting the positive end of a battery (which could lead to a short). Most of a mech's performance is going to come down to how clean the switch and threads are kept and switch design. Particularly when comparing one heavy bodied mod with another.

I don't think my ruby hits any harder than a K24 on a SOI subzero. It's a hell of a lot shorter though. I have a three post V1 Ruby. I hear the V2 switch has a smoother feel, but it does add some length.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Thanks Verb, that's very helpful...

Does the wider contact and less pressure on the positive mean that the Ruby hits slightly harder do you think?

Cheers,

P

Actually in the 25mm Ruby 2, the top contact is quite easy to remove and clean. You just need a 3/32nd's size Allen key to remove the posi contact and the negative post screw.
As @Verb said there is definitely less pressure on the battery inside because of the contacts.
It wouldn't be fair for me to judge the performance of my stainless Roundhouse 2 vs my Copper Ruby 25mm, as copper is always going to be more conductive than stainless steel.
My advice would be to get a Roundhouse 2 25mm in copper & Kennedy 25 in stainless to go along with it (If you don't want to clean the deck & cap of your atty as much).
The con I have on the ruby is that the deck is raw copper, and is going to get annoying to clean. Also, when rebuilding, you're out an entire mod..it's not like you can just swap out the atty you have on it for another while you rebuild.
But if you don't mind the upkeep that goes along with copper & not being able to vape it while rebuilding it, go for the Ruby.
Either way, you're going to have a phenomenal set up.

Reactions: Verb

michael69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
London
Actually in the 25mm Ruby 2, the top contact is quite easy to remove and clean. You just need a 3/32nd's size Allen key to remove the posi contact and the negative post screw.

Hi Tom, do you remove from inside the tube? (Quite awkward it would appear)

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Hi Tom, do you remove from inside the tube? (Quite awkward it would appear)

It's super simple. Just grab yourself a longer set of Allen keys and it's like removing the center pin & post screw off of one of the 2 post Kennedy decks. Except inside of a tube.

1957401bfe894df608efe2e80cc64f3c.jpg

1afa7a82b4348dbcda0b0191a59b2e88.jpg

f12360f7a849941066fb833c2bbf6b73.jpg

Disassembly is super simple with this mod. I may have my posi contact & switch silver plated.

Reactions: Ben85

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Again, v helpful, Thank you very much for going to so much trouble to show that; much appreciated!

(I've got a 25mm Roundhouse2 w/Kennedy 25 all in copper on the way now too...!)

Well... my justification to myself is that I'll never need another mod after these two!

Copper Kennedy 25 atty as well? Gonna be fun to clean her. I personally would have gone Roundhouse + Trickster 25 if I were you because the Trickster is essentially a Kennedy with adjustable airflow and single coil option. I have one & love it.
36f7882540a56cacecb8fad38d08bf0a.jpg

a67c3fdfc7b0c4d55e3aa5ddb6a108bf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread