Kinda Freaking Out About Batteries Now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth Patin

Oct 10, 2017
So, after watching some of Mooch's and others videos on batteries and amperage and all, I have to admit, I am kinda freaking out about my ignorance on battery safety. I have been vaping for a while i.e. moving up from the eGo to an E-Leaf 50W and now I am using a SMOK G320. On my G320, I have been using the batteries my supplier sold me for it which are 3 Efest IMR 18650 3100 mAh 3.7 V 20A batteries. While looking for some replacement batteries, just to have in case and for my mother who is using a single battery mod, to which I don't really have info on, I fell into a rabbit hole of battery info that has put me WAY out of my element. I usually run somewhere around 90-120 watts on my G320 and from what I am understanding from the videos I have watched, that is dangerous??? I am just trying to get a better grasp on things so I don't have any KABOOM's. So, on my mods screen, when I am vaping, it shows somewhere between 26-30 amps when I am vaping between 90-120 using a 0.15 ohms resistance coil. Is that safe and I am freaking out for no reason or do I need to reevaluate things??? Also, if I was looking for long life replacement batteries, what would yall recommend??? I was considering the Sony VTC6's but now I am really unsure. Any informed help would be much appreciated.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon
Well 30 amps split into 3 = approx 10 amps per cell. But Efest really aren't that great or safe.

Take a gander at Moochs recommended list and get some good 20A batteries. And Probably 2 sets of 3 so they are "married" and degrade at the same time.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Good on ya for getting educated and staying safe.

Seth Patin

Oct 10, 2017
Well 30 amps split into 3 = approx 10 amps per cell. But Efest really aren't that great or safe.

Take a gander at Moochs recommended list and get some good 20A batteries. And Probably 2 sets of 3 so they are "married" and degrade at the same time.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Good on ya for getting educated and staying safe.
Like the LG HG2's??? I want the highest capacity that I can get with the highest output and I think that is the LG HG2's unless you have another recommendation.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The amp displayed on the screen is a meaningless output amp, from 'chip' to delivery device, it has nothing to do with input, from batteries to 'chip'.
The only amp rating you should concern yourself with is continuous discharge rate (CDR).

Up to 75w per cell, 25a CDR cells,
Sony VTC5A 2500mah be “A”.
LG HD2 2000mah
LG HD2C 2100mah
LGHD4 2100mah

Up to 50w - 60w per cell, 20a CDR ~ 18a CDR 3000mah cells.
Samsung 30Q 20a CDR
Sony VTC6 19ish a CDR
LGHG2 18ish a CDR

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As others have said, the final output of your mod compared to the capacity of your batteries are two separate values. A triple battery mod combines the output capabilities of the set to power your mod. So, if the batteries you use in series are rated at 20A the combined capacity of the set is 60A.

If you calculate power capacity using the nominal voltage of a single 20A 18650 (3.7v) using the formula Power = Voltage x Current to get wattage P=EI, you get 74W. 3 x 74 = 222W for the triple combination. That's an absolute maximum, so staying at a safe level far under those numbers is recommended. As the voltage drops during vaping the battery has to work harder to stay up with demand. Heat is the enemy of lithium batteries.

Your mod uses the combined series battery set to power the electronics in your mod to provide variable voltage / wattage. The mod has internal monitoring and protection circuitry to keep you from over driving the batteries. The MOD drives the coil. The batteries deliver power to the electronics.

So, you should use batteries that are up to the task of delivering power to the mod safely. In you case, you need 18650 cells that are rated at 20A. Choose 20A or higher cells with the highest MAH (milliamps per hour) rating. Higher MAH = longer vape time. Mooch's battery table is below.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Also I would like to point out that you need to buy your batteries from a reputable battery dealer, and not just random vape shops (and certainly never eBay or Amazon!)

I get mine from www.liionwholesale.com others buy theirs from imr battery. Good batteries from reputable dealers are too cheap to take chances with possible fakes.

Outside of that don't worry too much. Just take care of your batteries, nothing to freak out over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread