Lounge Lizards / Misfits / Free Thinkers / Bohemians & the Forgotten :: Young at Heart Only

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Post Eclipse News :: Reports of Eclipse Glasses Scalpers in and around the St Louis Area .. up to $25.00 a pair, Pre-Eclipse .. :(

And now that the Eclipse is over, what's left in the news to talk about .. ?? ;) I'm confident we can come up with something .. :)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
My MIL said he fired a couple rounds the other night in the middle of the night. He either has an alternate income or he invested awfully well. I don't know but between the house and all the toys he has close to a MIL $ tied up there, and ready to move again.
He sounds paranoid. It might be worthwhile to discuss him with law enforcement. Not on the local or state level, either. They need to take responsibility for the mental health of their retired members.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Maybe if you had a pair that fit better it wouldn't have been so terrible.

Bae8yPdCQAAkS99.jpg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Post Eclipse News :: Reports of Eclipse Glasses Scalpers in and around the St Louis Area .. up to $25.00 a pair, Pre-Eclipse .. :(

And now that the Eclipse is over, what's left in the news to talk about .. ?? ;) I'm confident we can come up with something .. :)

How many tons of discarded eclipse glasses? :shock:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Hah, just spotted this:

Hold on to those eclipse glasses, they're likely good forever

But if your glasses are made by one of the 12 eclipse glasses makers that meet the requirements of NASA and American Astrological Standards, they're good forever, NASA said. They just can't be scratched, punctured or torn.

That means, if you're careful, they can be good to go by the next time a total solar eclipse drifts over America on April 8, 2024. It's easy to find out which ones meet this standard. The companies are listed here or they'll have an ISO number of 2312-2.

If you don't want to hold on to them, some organizations are encouraging people to recycle their glasses, such as the University of Nebraska Credit Union.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Good morning to the young at heart:)

Trying to get everything in the camper. Hubs meds and all the e-cig stuff is most important.

And the computer! Don't forget the computer!! Have a wonderful trip. We have many fond memories of our camping days. So relaxing, and we met such wonderful people.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Hah, just spotted this:

Hold on to those eclipse glasses, they're likely good forever

But if your glasses are made by one of the 12 eclipse glasses makers that meet the requirements of NASA and American Astrological Standards, they're good forever, NASA said. They just can't be scratched, punctured or torn.

That means, if you're careful, they can be good to go by the next time a total solar eclipse drifts over America on April 8, 2024. It's easy to find out which ones meet this standard. The companies are listed here or they'll have an ISO number of 2312-2.

If you don't want to hold on to them, some organizations are encouraging people to recycle their glasses, such as the University of Nebraska Credit Union.

Ours are Celestron Brand (on the approved list).
Meet: ISO 12312-2, EN 1836:2005 +A1:2007 (E), and AS/NZS 1338.1:2012

Yet on the spec's themselves it says: Discard and Do Not Use After 3 Years.

hmm, let me give it a quick 'think'. We only used them for about 15 minutes not 3 years, so perhaps they will be 'good' for the next eclipse.

(on the serious side. Thanks David, I read on that NASA page the warning is outdated for compliant glasses. I've saved junk longer than 7 years perhaps I will put these in storage)

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Ours are Celestron Brand (on the approved list).
Meet: ISO 12312-2, EN 1836:2005 +A1:2007 (E), and AS/NZS 1338.1:2012

Yet on the spec's themselves it says: Discard and Do Not Use After 3 Years.

hmm, let me give it a quick 'think'. We only used them for about 15 minutes not 3 years, so perhaps they will be 'good' for the next eclipse.

(on the serious side. Thanks David, I read on that NASA page the warning is outdated for compliant glasses. I've saved junk longer than 7 years perhaps I will put these in storage)

Probably to protect against liability suits? Mine are from American Paper, also on the list, and didn't have a warning on age.

The possibility of donating them for use in other eclipse spots is good, as well.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Yeah ... can't even put ours away 'till the 2024 eclipse ... the disclaimer on the package says to discard them after 3 years.

Since planned obsolescence is the Name of the Game, and I'm probably safe in saying most that read the disclaimer will follow it unless they save them as a Keepsake, thus allowing the Eclipse Glasses cartels to sell another Container Boat load in 2024 .. it's the American Way, after all .. ;)

As I sat in my lawn chair, craning my neck .. two things went thru my mind :: Why don't I just get out an old blanket and lay flat on the ground (getting up later maybe why not .. ;)) .. and, "If I sweat in this heat and it somehow makes it's way to the "lens", will that be a problem .. ??" .. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread