RDA Mech Builds for Squonking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mostly_Harmless

Verified Member
Dec 25, 2016
US
I recently received a Frankenskull clone and a Hadaly BF as my entry into squonking. My favorite setup prior was a NarDa clone with a 5 wrap 2.5MM spaced clapton (26K/36K) which came out to .7ohms. At 34-38W, it produces a warm, dense, and flavorful vape.

I am trying to recreate that with the new setup and just can't find anything similar. I've got 22, 26, 28, and 30g Kanthal, 24g Ni80, and some 26/36 Kanthal Clapton to work with.

With the lower gauge Kanthal and Ni80 builds at .3 to .4ohms, it produces a pretty hot vape. After a the battery gets lower, it seems to drop off too quickly.

I've been experimenting with lots of different builds, but still haven't found that right one. Before invest in a regulated squonk mod, anyone who made the switch have any favorite builds I should try first?

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Single cell Mechs will lag a bit heating claptons. You could try 28/34 or similar

I prefer single parallel nichrome 26awg, 4 wraps on 2.5mm. Which is around 0.2, make sure it is within your battery specs.

Also, what batteries are you using? Mooch's graphs are gold for mech users far more than the regulated folk. Some batteries really do drop off fast

Mostly_Harmless

Verified Member
Dec 25, 2016
US
Also, what batteries are you using? Mooch's graphs are gold for mech users far more than the regulated folk. Some batteries really do drop off fast

I purchased some LG HB6 30amp from Lightning Vapes, so I should be fine running down to a .2ohm coil.

I've got a derringer I use on a SMPL mech mod, and run almost the same coil in dual configuration. It's close, but I don't have a dual coil BF RDA I can use. But I will look at some parallel builds and see if I can find similar Heat Flux and heating capacity in steamengine.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I prefer 1-battery mechs, and it can be challenging to get the density of vapor I want with a single coil, especially as I ALSO want near instant response (no lag/heat up). I end up finding it EASIER to get what I like with duals - often single-wire duals, and between 0.4-0.5 ohms. I use a lot of 27 gauge actually...cuz SS tastes funky to me (I know, that's weird).

With all the recent nice atties kind of designed for a single coil, from NarDa to Hadaly, I did fiddle with heavier gauge, with spacing, with parallel, etc. I have a parrallel in my Hadaly right now...

But it may also be worth throwing another $10 at another atty to try duals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread