Mechanical Mods Vs VW/VV - what is your preference and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeMOsg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
City in the midst of Giants
Just had a discussion with a fellow colleague on this and I'd have to say, faster heat and the cheaper ICR batt is a pro versus variable going bust and having to replace the whole mod.

Also, mech tends to last longer and cheaper as essentially, it is just a hollow metallic tube. You could whack some pistachio nuts with it and yet not worry if it will fire up after.

And is it only noticing that a lot are going back to mech?

Cons would be potential losing your fingers...... Sub ohming!

What do you guys think? Hope to learn from the pros here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
mechs-----pros:
-durable, can be beaten up quite literaly and still work
-tubular
-lots of different asthetic options
-cheap as chips
-charging batteries seperate - can have/carry spares so there is no down time

cons:
-have to buy batteries seperate
-have to charge batteries seperate - no onboard charging
-have to buy a charger for the batteries
-have to be EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EEEEEEEEXDXXXXXXXXXTTTRTRTRRRRRAAAAAAAA careful with the 510 threads the center posts and your coiling skills, as any hard short will cause a problem - tube heating up,explosions, ect.
-decrease in vape power as battery dies down

APVs Pros:
-some/most have built in battery
-variable volt/watt - no need to "build to spec" with coils to achieve the "perfect" vape.
-some/most have built in charging
-constant output thorough battery life
-(most)have screens that display battery life - always know how charged your battery is before leaving out the house or etc.
-built in protection circuitry - a hard short will just result in a blinking light or "short" message on screen - Low voltage, high voltage, over heat, and reverse polarity protection incase you put in your battery(ies) upsidedown

Cons:
-some/most have built in battery - if it dies, its dead and you "arent supposted" to beable to replace them, so your forced to buy a new APV - also when its low on power, you have to wait till the APV is charged before using it, rather than just swapping out battery cells and continuing to vape while the "low battery" is charging.

-odd shapes... most APVs are box shaped, and some atomizers dont look right atop certain mods...

-firing button placement - ive noticed, the fire button is placed in all kinds of funky places, the lastest APV i seen had a pinky button(not on the direct bottom like a mech mod, but nonetheless a pinky button)

Last edited:

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
mechs-----pros:
durable, can be beaten up quite literaly and still work
tubular
lots of different asthetic options
cheap as chips
charging batteries seperate - can have/carry spares so there is no down time

cons:
have to buy batteries seperate
have to charge batteries seperate - no onboard charging
have to buy a charger for the batteries
have to be EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA EEEEEEEEXDXXXXXXXXXTTTRTRTRRRRRAAAAAAAA careful with the 510 threads the center posts and your coiling skills, as any hard short will cause a problem - tube heating up,explosions, ect.
decrease in vape power as battery dies down

APVs Pros:
built in battery
variable volt/watt - no need to "build to spec" with coils to achieve the "perfect" vape.
built in charging
constant output thorough battery life
(most)have screens that display battery life - always know how charged your battery is before leaving out the house or ect.

Cons:
built in battery - if it dies, its dead and you "arent supposted" to beable to replace them, so your forced to buy a new APV - also when its low on power, you have to wait till the APV is charged before using it, rather than just swapping out battery cells and continuing to vape while the "low battery" is charging.

odd shapes... most APVs are box shaped, and some atomizers dont look right atop certain mods...

firing button placement - ive noticed, the fire button is placed in all kinds of funky places, the lastest APV i seen had a pinky button(not on the direct bottom like a mech mod, but nonetheless a pinky button)
I agree with some of what you say, especially regarding mechanicals but...both of my APVs, ( a Provari and an SX Mini ) use the same exact replaceable IMR 18650/18500 batteries as my mechs and the Provari is a tube.

Last edited:

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
I agree with some of what you say, especially regarding mechanicals but...both of my APVs, ( a Provari and an SX Mini ) use the same exact replaceable IMR 18650/18500 batteries.

those are exceptions ;)

thanks for remindning me, had to edit the above post for more "correct" info

personaly, i prefer the APVs with built in batteries - usualy by the time they crap out, ive had them for over 9 months so its payed for itself in use, if i descide to get another one of that apv(usualy by then also, some thing newer and better is out) - i prefer the built in batteries being i dont like carrying alot of "extra" crap with me when i leave to go somewhere, no need for extra batteries or even a charger, everyone i know has atleast one micro usb charger laying around somewhere ;)

also perfer the APVS, because i like the consistent vape from fresh charge till "low power"

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Ditto.
You also forgot to mention built in safety features on regulated device..... Low voltage, high voltage, over heat, polarity, shorts etc.
I also disagree with the first post about heat up time. A good regulated device will heat up your coil faster then a mech, and with many of the new chips outputting flat DC, the quality of vape is nearly the same.
So for me it's regulated all the way, got rid of all but one mech.... That's kept in the closet in case of vapocalypse. With my regulated devices I can get a similar vape but consistent through longer range of the battery, and still swap out batteries like a mech, and don't have to worry about over draining my batteries, I can look at the screen and check myself, or if I space it and forget, the mod will just shut off before over drain.
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Started with a VV device, then got lured by the simplicity and vast options/design of the mech.
But after a while realize I have 2 issues with mechs.. I vape a lot.. So a 18650 only lasted me half a day. Small problem yes, but then I get leaks from my RTAs when I continue with a weak batt.. Very irritating, So I went back to VV mods ;)
Bigger heavier.. Uncertainties with the longevity of electronics.. all cons, but at least now a single charge last more than a day, without worrying Abt leaks due to weak batt.
The mechs are all sitting there collecting dust.. All except my Reos.. Lol... It literally solve all the vaping issues I had except I still carry an extra batt around

VapeMOsg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
City in the midst of Giants
Great discussion so far. Hmm I guess for convenience and also the advent rise in the VV Mods' technology, sg vapers would be more inclined towards the latter.

Thanks guys. Actually learnt a lot! @chia, some of the vv are getting slimmer and smaller! Clorpour mini is an example but I haven't used it long enough to judge but I guess it suffices for now.

I think another point to add is that in general, most of us also want stealthy looking setups right. Something large and tubular would look odd in our pockets and would raise suspicion also - my thoughts.

Hornzxc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Just had a discussion with a fellow colleague on this and I'd have to say, faster heat and the cheaper ICR batt is a pro versus variable going bust and having to replace the whole mod.

Also, mech tends to last longer and cheaper as essentially, it is just a hollow metallic tube. You could whack some pistachio nuts with it and yet not worry if it will fire up after.

And is it only noticing that a lot are going back to mech?

Cons would be potential losing your fingers...... Sub ohming!

What do you guys think? Hope to learn from the pros here :)

Personally, I eat peanuts not pistachios... so a VV is good enough for me ;) Pretty sure HisShaaaMaaa will declare mechs as "explosives" the moment one fails any of the users here, and forcefully penetrate our excretion organs and demand that these "explosives" be banned. Vape safe.

Dead man Walking.

ahmadmfz

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2014
red dot
It depends actually...i have my mech as my 100% solid backup. It's just a smpl with a derringer. It can barely go wrong and if it ever does I'm sure it can be fixed easily. Mechs hit hard, hardly fail. Just hate how the power depletes and you can't check batt life.

I love my vw mods especially my rdna40. Battery swappable but the zip charging is insanely fast. Built solid, great display, and temp controls allows my coils to last longer, wicks last longer, and very very consistent vape throughout. With a solid 4-5ml tank and a full battery, it easily carries you through a day fine.

Each has its place, but right now I love my vws too much. I use my mechs sometimes just to have fun and blow clouds at home.

redredred

Dec 15, 2014
Got myself a cloupor t8 with subtank mini can last me at least 2 days of chain vaping with safety and detailed info and all. Downside is the size and weight. Wanted a small descreet vape so I settled for a smpl clone with haze rda. Hits great but funny thing it only last me at most 1 hr of vaping. Even with different batteries it won't last long. Anyone knows why? Sorry for the hijack tho

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Got myself a cloupor t8 with subtank mini can last me at least 2 days of chain vaping with safety and detailed info and all. Downside is the size and weight. Wanted a small descreet vape so I settled for a smpl clone with haze rda. Hits great but funny thing it only last me at most 1 hr of vaping. Even with different batteries it won't last long. Anyone knows why? Sorry for the hijack tho

What build are you using?
My guess is its lower then your sub tank, and 24 or 22 gauge wire? That equals bigger drain, plus your t8 is a dual 18650. Using a sub tank you are probably running below 30 watts. So lower drain usage on a dual battery mod..... Explains the large difference.
My current dripper build lasts me all day on my variant (equals about 4-5 hours vape time), but on a mech I would be lucky to get an hour before the battery lag became too much.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I used mech mods pretty much exclusively for almost a year but since I got my first high wattage (for me that's 30 watts) regulated I rarely touch my mechs anymore. If I'm traveling I usually have one mech with me though, in addition to two regulateds, just to be on the safe side. Also, just tonight I whipped out my Hammer clone to make use of my 18350s, and I've finding that I still love it. If there's any type of mod suitable for dressing up in fine clothing it's definitely a mech. A box mod is a poor companion to black (tux) or white tie (tails) :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I'm using a smpl mech mod with the haze rda with dual 24 build 6 wraps each. Battery doesn't last that long. When I attach the haze onto my cloupor box mod. It fires fine as per normal.
What's your resistance? 24 ga 6 wraps doesn't say that much by itself. I really hope that you've measured the resistance, know what your amp draw is, and know what your batteries can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread