Menthol Drops Recipe for Menthol Lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got both the menthol crystals and Everclear, and made up the Menthol Drops yesterday. I LOVE it. Thanks, Sun, for sharing the "recipe" and the detailed instructions.

I tried it first with a blank cart, and mixed it into some plain, no-flavor juice. That tasted so clean and fresh to me ... not at all "greasy", which is how some of the pre-made juice flavors taste to me sometimes. I erred on the side of caution when adding the menthol drops at first, and then added some more (twice), and a little chocolate flavoring, and a bit of this 'n that, until I had my PERFECT recipe. Woo-hoo.

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
My Menthol Crystals (2oz) from eBay came in today, and Wow! they were triple wrapped and I could smell them strongly the moment I opened the first envelope! Everyone's right, just like Vick's Vapo-rub. I mixed up a quick batch of the recipe listed at the top.
Here's the changes I made: I thought using the roller directly on the package might make tiny little holes in it, so I put on rubber gloves, got two big pieces of wax paper (parchment paper might have been a better choice - I hope no wax got in it...) then I took a small estimated amount of crystals from the bag, layed them on the wax paper, put the other piece of paper on top of that, and rollered that, crushing bigger pieces by pressing down on them directly with the roller, and periodically lifing one wax paper piece, brushing the caked dust off it, and moving the middle back into a pile. I did all this slowly because I've heard the dangers of breathing in the dust, getting it on your eyes, etc. Once crushed, I used a folded piece of paper to scoop it easily into the syringe until it was at 3.5 ml. I didn't have a spare 10 ml bottle (new at all this) so I put it in a screw-lid container with the PGA instead of a 10 ml bottle, with the idea of using a dropper with that. I followed all else as described, and it turned out as expected.
I sniffed it, and I could smell the Menthol prounouncedly more strongly than the PGA, which gave me an indication of how strong it was! :)
To try it out, I added 10 drops to about 6 ml of a Marlboro VG/PGA/VG/PGA mix I had made up and liked. It added quite a throat hit, and discernable Menthol as well. But I like a stronger Menthol, so I will probably add some more (a few drops at a time) until I hit a flavor that works for me.
I absolutely prefer this to the mint/mentha flavors I have tried. They are fine for what they are, and certainly had throat hit, I just have been wanting my Menthol; I'm a former Menthol smoker.
Thanks so much for the great recipe!

alstang1

Aug 16, 2009
Texas USA
Also for what it's worth, Tractor Supply (local brick and mortar) is where I get all my PG (100% USP gallon for $20) and syringes (I use 16 guage needles).

After searching every store in El Campo last night looking for VG and other vape items, I glanced over at TSC and pondered going in there to see what I would be able to find for vaping.... I decided not to go in, knowing they would have nothing I would need.

LOL how funny.

Al

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Have been trying to get a nice Johnson Creek Original-like flavor, but haven't had much luck. Tonight ordered some more Ethyl Maltol from Perfumer's Apprentice, so also got some menthol drops, some more tobacco absolute, didn't really need that, but also found that they have caramel flavor as well!! I didn't know that! I think that's exactly what I need, 'cause JC's original VG has (make that did have) a sort of sweet, caramel taste, very faintly. Will you comment Nuck, if you ever got that tobacco flavor perfected?? I find it's just fine, but still a small bit too harsh, especially for an all-the-time juice...the menthol drop or two helps, but maybe the caramel will give it just the right slant. Apprentice's website a little funny to navigate, but found the caramel using the search. They have all kinds of interesting flavor oils. When it arrives I will share if it was a good idea or not!
miketr,I've tried using regular mint flavoring instead of menthol as well, but seems to disappear after a day or so. I hope the menthol drops are not too strong, I just want it to "cool" the tobacco harshness a bit.

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Hi Kate,

As an ex-menthol smoker I found with the absolutes I have to add more menthol to my original recipies than when I used factory nic tobacco juices. Using my normal 1-2 drops per ml from my "base" menthol stock was almost no menthol taste/sensation at all with absolutes. It does remove some harshness in the process. Alcohol based menthol liquids are harsher too.
I dissolve 1/4tsp crystals, powered, packed tight and level in 5ml of PG.
I don't know how much you cut your VG with water, but menthol and water didn't work well for me before I got the PG. I was using a 60/40 VG/water with the same method.
Heated for 4-5 sec in the microwave it was fine till cooled. The menthol recrystalized on the surface. Some stayed in the solution, but not much. Then it hazed.
Ethyl Maltol and alcohol seems to be the exception of alcohol harshness if enough EM is used.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I never have been a menthol smoker, but the menthol or mint does seem to cool the harshness of the absolute, as does the Ethyl Maltol. It may be that I am still not adding enough EM (1/4 tsp/15ml of juice). I hope the menthol drops will work ok, but have not tried them as yet, have only used mint, which does as you say, fades away. I don't necessarily want to taste the menthol. That's why I'm hopeful the "caramel" will be the clincher. This flavor by itself was impossible to find, usually pre-mixes use chocolate and vanilla, etc. which I do not want as they knock out the desired mild tobacco flavor.
I have to use Vegetable Glycerine, PG no longer an option. I've also found that diluting the VG with 20% water as has been suggested makes it a little too thin for my 801 carts, so add as little liquid as possible, both with EM water and the absolute alcohol. Seems to work much better and am not constantly flooding the atomizer, and the atty's seem to be holding up just fine, copious amounts of vapor. Am using a Janty Stick, also, so again different from pen-style 801. But I am still looking for that elusive Old Formula Johnson Creek Original! That was my favorite all time juice, new formula isn't quite it, and the added 30% PG makes it taboo for me.

Last edited:

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
I've tried using regular mint flavoring instead of menthol as well, but seems to disappear after a day or so. I hope the menthol drops are not too strong, I just want it to "cool" the tobacco harshness a bit.

Menthol is a very strong flavor and will not fade over time. Start with a small amount then increase as desired. You know what they say. You can always add more, but you can't take it out. :p

Everyone has their own way of mixing their menthol mix, but my method is to take a bottle, say 10 ml, add 3.4 ml of alcohol them fill it the rest the way to a previously drawn 10 ml mark on the bottle. The reason for this method is simple. Course crushed crystals take up more space than fine crushed crystals do. How much you pack it into your measuring instrument also make a big difference in how much crystals you actually have. By taking a bottle or syringe with a 10 ml mark on it, adding 3.4ml of alcohol then finishing with crystals you have the exact same mix every time. No variations. This way you can always duplicate a flavor with certainty.

Vaporer, use a strong alcolhol like vodka or Everclear, (the best choice). You can mix a stronger formula that will stay suspended and never recrystallize on the surface. The reason that you want a strong solution is because the more alcohol you put in your mix the thinner your mix will become and the more likely your atty will leak. . With a stronger menthol solution you'll have so little alcohol in your mix it'll hardly thin it at all.

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
My advice, mix a little batch and try. I didn't and ended up throwing a lot of juice away.
Those little 3ml bottles are great for experimenting. a small 1 ml syrenge is perfect for micro batches. You can measure to 1/100ml with that. I buy my PG by the gallon from tractor supply and use that straight for experimenting in micro batches. Once I find a flavor I like I use the expensive nic juice. Not much throat hit with straight PG, but good for flavor searching.

LOL!! Been there - done that! Best tip of the day grumpster. :thumbs:
3 ml menthol and 7 ml pg! Talk about a kick in the teeth. 8-oIf I wasn't a member of the school of hard knocks before, I sure was after that.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Vaporer, thanks very much!
Grumpster, I taught my girls how to measure 2 cups of milk, and 1 3/4c butter or shortening the exact same way...you would make a terrific baker! Start out with a 4 c. measuring cup, put the liquid in first then the solids, there's no way to make a mistake and a lot less waste and mess. Then just use the butter alone (if you have to cream it) or the milk alone, easy to separate if needed.
I found crushing the Ethyl Maltol works better too, takes much less time to dissolve. Course you start with a measured amount first, then crush. That's also from someone on DIY threads somewhere. Crush it on the bottomside of a china cup with a teaspoon. Tiny mortars~pestles hard to come by.
Oh ~ and don't forget to put your HAZ-MAT signs up first! No good kitchen should be without them. Face masks and rubber gloves optional.

Last edited:

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
grumpster,

The menthol crystals dissolve well in PG and never recrystalize. It was the water/VG, actually the water. I dint have PG at the time. I dont know if VG will dissolve menthol crystals. I got my PG before I had to try it. PG keeps my viscosity the same no matter how much I add. I took the method from a post you had on 1drop per ml. I liked the idea.
The crushed 1/4tsp in 5ml of PG works great for me with 1 drop per ml. If I want a kick I just add 6-7 drops in a 5 ml batch instead of 5. I've even added a drop to 2ml or so remaining when I felt like a little more zap that day. lol

vaporich

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
www.vaporich.com
I use the menthol crystals also.
I just mix it with no flavor juice, or with straight vg.
DO not mix it with water, it will make the crystals reform in the juice.
I have also vaped it straight, it can be very strong.
Im trying to get a good mix, going.
I find, for a 30 ml bottle. 10ml. Kent flavor, 8ml. VG. and 10 ml. No flavor juice.
Plus I add about a table spoon of the crushed crystals.
It is strong stuff, trying to get the mix just perfect.
Vaporich

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Have been trying to get a nice Johnson Creek Original-like flavor, but haven't had much luck. Tonight ordered some more Ethyl Maltol from Perfumer's Apprentice, so also got some menthol drops, some more tobacco absolute, didn't really need that, but also found that they have caramel flavor as well!! I didn't know that! I think that's exactly what I need, 'cause JC's original VG has (make that did have) a sort of sweet, caramel taste, very faintly. Will you comment Nuck, if you ever got that tobacco flavor perfected?? I find it's just fine, but still a small bit too harsh, especially for an all-the-time juice...the menthol drop or two helps, but maybe the caramel will give it just the right slant. Apprentice's website a little funny to navigate, but found the caramel using the search. They have all kinds of interesting flavor oils. When it arrives I will share if it was a good idea or not!
miketr,I've tried using regular mint flavoring instead of menthol as well, but seems to disappear after a day or so. I hope the menthol drops are not too strong, I just want it to "cool" the tobacco harshness a bit.
I mentioned I had a source for "Caramel" flavor from "Perfumer's Apprentice", but it's not working out, especially with VG....it's a little wimpy flavor-wise, and it's an oil base so adding more ruined a perfectly good batch of juice..the oil cut my vapor waaaay back and gave it an unpalatable oilyness..and I put in too much menthol, but it's ok...just won't do that again! Just FYI

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Kate,

Sorry hear that, but you show a good trait I'm a firm believer in.
I enjoy posts that aren't always the sucess stories. Many hate to admit failure for fear of ridicule, they think it's worthless to post.........on and on...
Nothing could be further from the truth.

You saved someone, probably many alot of work and may have sparked an idea to them on why the results didn't work, saved them time and money duplicating an undesried result, a product thats not VG friendly....on and on (again)

Maybe, if you aren't already, don't use the nic VG for sampling, just plain VG. Then again, it may be such a refined taste that method won't work for you.
Now where did you want those HazMat stickers sent?

Keep up the good work. Appreciated by all........

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Yah, I still need HAZMAT flags, and thanks for that, but I hate maybe finding something that someone else is also looking for and it turns out to be a bust! This sure was, it smells delicious however, but I do think it's more an aromatic oil for diffusers, not for vaping for sure, it just didn't have a very strong flavor.
I have found another interesting web site and did order a caramel flavoring concentrate that is already in PG, at SpiceBarn.com,
also found some hazelnut extract, and ordered a few other things too! Great site. Will let you know if that caramel is good to use, otherwise I'll just go get some ice cream!
And you're absolutely right, use only the VG when experimenting, you'll know when you get close enough for a serious test. I was trying to 'fix' a small batch mixed from Vermont Vapor, the 'tobacco' 24mg VG, it just lost almost all flavor when I cut it. I used a little bit of my nicotiana rustica, that was the shameful part of that. That has a wonderful flavor and aroma! Then I ruined it with the oil.

Last edited:

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
The Caramel flavoring from Spice Barn is EXCELLENT, it is exactly like using pure vanilla flavoring, only caramel. Also tried the Hazelnut, ooohh, nice as well. Christmas cookies are going to be great, this year! and a couple deep dish apple pies with caramel as well.
And it works fabulously in my VG juice as well, I'm happy to report. Each was about $6 shipping included for 4 oz. bottles, which I thought an excellent price.
My next trip was going to be Lorannes, which also has caramel, vanilla and nut flavors, but am satisfied with these for now. Have never tried any of the Lorannes flavorings, I know some of you use them.
I think I have my Johnson Creek Original copy-cat style about whipped. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread