Menthol Drops Recipe for Menthol Lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
I have no problem dissolving crushed and packed tight cryatals(1/4tsp) in 5ml of PG. 3 sec in the microwave and its done.
They won't recrystalize and your juice stays the same viscosity. If you need to make your juice thinner Everclear will do that. Some add a lot of VG for more fog. I use a 70/30 PG/VG mis , add menthol and have no problems.
That recipie works for me at 1 drop per ml. Your tastes may differ a little.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Will the menthol crystals work just mixing with vg? Or is the alcohol and important step to this recipe? Is there any difference to the recipe if i use vg instead of the alcohol to make my mix?

Pure VG is not good. Even if you get the crystals to dissolve, they will reform in VG. Either use PG or Everclear, or a combination.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
thanks for the answer I guess I got an excuse to go to the liquor store now lol

I always get a funny look, or a comment from someone, whenever I buy everclear. I feel like I have to explain that it's to clean the parts on my PV.
Which is ok because I like to show it off.
Anyway just be ready for the funny look. :D

Crankyfuzz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Once upon a time well not that long ago but back when I was in school I used to buy everclear all the time to make this drink that would sneak up and knock ya right on your well you get the point.

Lucky for me my liquor store is also the tobacco store here and they haven't seen me in awhile maybe I will convert a few of the girls over to ecigs.

I am going to place an order with Perfumer's Apprentice this weekend, but I was looking at additional fragrances. Is there a guide, or a general idea I should follow when looking to purchase from them so I don't end up with something I shouldn't use?

Maybe I didn't search for the right thing on the forum's but any information would be GREAT!

You are ALL wonderful, and threaten my job daily as I am a forum troll :D

Have been trying to get a nice Johnson Creek Original-like flavor, but haven't had much luck. Tonight ordered some more Ethyl Maltol from Perfumer's Apprentice, so also got some menthol drops, some more tobacco absolute, didn't really need that, but also found that they have caramel flavor as well!! I didn't know that! I think that's exactly what I need, 'cause JC's original VG has (make that did have) a sort of sweet, caramel taste, very faintly. Will you comment Nuck, if you ever got that tobacco flavor perfected?? I find it's just fine, but still a small bit too harsh, especially for an all-the-time juice...the menthol drop or two helps, but maybe the caramel will give it just the right slant. Apprentice's website a little funny to navigate, but found the caramel using the search. They have all kinds of interesting flavor oils. When it arrives I will share if it was a good idea or not!
miketr,I've tried using regular mint flavoring instead of menthol as well, but seems to disappear after a day or so. I hope the menthol drops are not too strong, I just want it to "cool" the tobacco harshness a bit.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
You are ALL wonderful, and threaten my job daily as I am a forum troll :D

You are not by any chance the marvelous ytcracker from Colorado Springs, CO that hacked the web server for NASA@ 17yrs are ya!?!?

Damn! Foiled again! He needs to get on the eSmokes! MC Frontalot also!

Doctor Vapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Charleston, SC USA
www.youtube.com
Mamu

Just did a little research on Menthol crystals. They have a melting point of 43.5 degrees celsius (110.3 F). I did an experiment using a shot glass with 7.5ml of Grain Alcohol in a shot glass and nuking it to see how long it took to raise the temperature above 111 degrees F.

Turns out your method of nuking for 5 seconds is spot on.

First attempt
Start temp Alcohol: 73 degrees F
Nuke 5 seconds
Finish temp Alcohol: 114 degrees F

I don't know if you did any experiments like this before you came up with your process, but if you didn't, you instincts couldn't have been better.

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
I cheat. I always make my menthol drops in advance so it's much easier for me. I just take a 10 ml bottle and put 3.4ml of everclear in it. Then I add the crystals till the bottle is full and put the bottle away. That gives me a 34%/66% mix. In a short time the crystals dissolve on their own and are ready to use next time I need them. No microwave or anything.

Okay, I admit it. I'm lazy. Always looking for the easiest way to get the job done with a minimum of fuss. :p

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I cheat. I always make my menthol drops in advance so it's much easier for me. I just take a 10 ml bottle and put 3.4ml of everclear in it. Then I add the crystals till the bottle is full and put the bottle away. That gives me a 34%/66% mix. In a short time the crystals dissolve on their own and are ready to use next time I need them. No microwave or anything.

Okay, I admit it. I'm lazy. Always looking for the easiest way to get the job done with a minimum of fuss. :p

I agree, but I crush the crystals into a powder inside a ziplock bag, and then fill up the 10ml bottle full of the powder tamping as I go so it is packed in there good. THEN I take my 30ml bottle of everclear and drip into the 10ml bottle until the powder is saturated and it wont hold any more everclear.
If I am in a hurry, I will run it under hot water while shaking, usually takes only a couple minutes to completely disolve.
Thats it.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread