Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Can you Tare after the nickle? Just got my scale in today and going to see if the missues will let me have it before Sunday :)

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
    You can but the whole point of the nickel is so the scale will pick up .00 of a gram. Let's say your recipe calls for .05 grams of a flavor. The scale sometimes won't pick up .01 so you put a nickel on it and then add .05 grams of flavoring. I find even if the scale doesn't pick it up one of my drops are around .02-.03 grams.

atroph

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 23, 2014
    Chesapeake, VA
    You can but the whole point of the nickel is so the scale will pick up .00 of a gram. Let's say your recipe calls for .05 grams of a flavor. The scale sometimes won't pick up .01 so you put a nickel on it and then add .05 grams of flavoring. I find even if the scale doesn't pick it up one of my drops are around .02-.03 grams.

Figured as much. Thanks!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I may be assuming something incorrectly, but my LB-501 scale seems to wake up and read after 2 or 3 drops hit the DIY bottle. I assumed that it "caught up" with the weight and registered correctly once enough weight hit it to trigger measurement since it knows zero and the difference in what's on it since tare. I also thought that it would see what's on the scale and the pour would be accurate.

Am I assuming too much? The numbers seem to reflect the cumulative weight of what I dropped, but it's hard to estimate what the reading should be. Maybe I should be doing the nickel thing. The smallest total is the nic at 30 drops (1.5g) into a 50ml total recipe. It's sluggish at first, but jumps up by the first couple of drops and rises as I add nic to reach the target weight.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kenna

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    I may be assuming something incorrectly, but my LB-501 scale seems to wake up and read after 2 or 3 drops hit the DIY bottle. I assumed that it "caught up" with the weight and registered correctly once enough weight hit it to trigger measurement since it knows zero and the difference in what's on it since tare. I also thought that it would see what's on the scale and the pour would be accurate.

Am I assuming too much? The numbers seem to reflect the cumulative weight of what I dropped, but it's hard to estimate what the reading should be. Maybe I should be doing the nickel thing. The smallest total is the nic at 30 drops (1.5g) into a 50ml total recipe. It's sluggish at first, but jumps up by the first couple of drops and rises as I add nic to reach the target weight.

Not really sure what your are asking, but the scale has a bit of a delay. Never needed any nickels, it can read a drop or two, but those small amounts sometimes don't register.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016

Mine does the same thing not a problem when your using .08 or more grams. Just the small .05g when I'm making 5ml sample batches

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Mine does the same thing not a problem when your using .08 or more grams. Just the small .05g when I'm making 5ml sample batches

I'm usually doing 50ml mixes each time, so nothing I add is less than 1.5mg at a time. It does take a few drops to recognize something's hit the scale, but It seems to weigh the entire amount correctly after taring and adding the next ingredient.

So, the problem is that 2 drops alone might never register?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Small amounts would seem to be difficult even with a small 1ml syringe. I only put 1.5mg nic in a 50ml mix to get 3mg/ml strength.

jambi

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2014
    SoCal
    So, the problem is that 2 drops alone might never register?

Assuming we're talking about the little drops from the standard PET bottles like BCV uses, and not a Capella bottle or a twist-open top like the larger bottles use...

My 501 shows 2 drops as .03. If you absolutely need to see it, try adding your two drops then tap the scale with your finger. Might have to wait a few seconds. Mine registers immediately after doing that, but without the tap it will stay at 0 until a third drop is added, whereby it will read .05.

I haven't been able to get it to register a single drop at all. I even tried dripping the drop directly on the scale, and nothing. .03 appears to be the absolute minimum it will pick up from a 0 state. For me that's within an acceptable realm of precision for its 30 dollar price point. :)

I could not get my scale to register nothing by waiting a long time between drops. I tried several times. By 4 drops (no tapping) it always has a reading.

Your question above is what prompted me to test mine out. In real life I have no recipes that call for less than .07, and that's easy...4 drops.

jambi

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2014
    SoCal
    Regarding the coins, on my freshly calibrated scale, 4 brand new pennies have different weights. Only one weighs 2.50, the others are 2.54, 2.56 and 2.57. I've weighed them several times and they always come out the same, so I'm pretty sure it's not my scale. The 200 gram calibration weight weighs exactly 200 grams, so what's up with the varying weights? Pennies are supposed to weigh exactly 2.50 g.

I get the same variances when weighing brand new 30 ml bottles from the same batch. There are always variations.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    Regarding the coins, on my freshly calibrated scale, 4 brand new pennies have different weights. Only one weighs 2.50, the others are 2.54, 2.56 and 2.57. I've weighed them several times and they always come out the same, so I'm pretty sure it's not my scale. The 200 gram calibration weight weighs exactly 200 grams, so what's up with the varying weights? Pennies are supposed to weigh exactly 2.50 g.

I get the same variances when weighing brand new 30 ml bottles from the same batch. There are always variations.

I guess they get dirty from handling. Maybe clean them to get a more accurate weight... :D

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Pennies made of copper/zinc alloy may be showing wear from handling that could add or subtract weight from dirt or wear.

There are allowed tolerance variances in the mint spec, but you have to wonder how tightly they are sampled and measured.

31 U.S. Code § 5113 - Tolerances and testing of coins

(a)
    The Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe reasonable manufacturing tolerances for specifications in section 5112 of this title(except for specifications that are limits) for the dollar, half dollar, quarter dollar, and dime coins. The weight of the 5-cent coin may vary not more than 0.194 gram. The weight of the one-cent coin may vary not more than 0.13 gram. Any gold coin issued undersection 5112 of this title shall contain the full weight of gold stated on the coin.
    section 5112(a) of this title. If the coins tested do not conform, the Secretary—
    Pub. L. 97–258, Sept. 13, 1982, 96 Stat. 983; Pub. L. 100–274, § 4(b), Mar. 31, 1988, 102 Stat. 50.)

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon

The problem appears to arise when small amounts are added slowly. I personally never had a problem with it either but several people have reported it. I currently have the AW scale and don't have the LB-501 any longer to try to recreate the glitch.
    Yes, it's when small amounts (i.e. individual drops) are added slowly. It's called auto-zeroing or something and supposedly it's a "feature, not a bug" as far as I can tell. This is how it works on my SF-400D at least, not sure about on others: In order to prevent erroneous data from i.e. dust settling on the tray between taring and weighing, very small fluctuations from zero will be ignored. Once a weight is registered, small fluctuations are then counted.

In practice, this means that:

If I tare, and then add a single drop, it will not be registered. I can wait a bit, then add another drop, which will also not be registered. Wait a bit...add a drop, nothing. And again, and again. No matter how much I add, as long as it's one drop at a time and I wait a second or two in between for the reading to "settle," it will continue to read zero. Once a weight is registered (if I add a few drops in quick succession before it settles, or anything heavier than about .02-.03g), then it registers just that last amount that was added, but all the previous single drops are just gone. Poof. As if they never happened. But then, after it gets a reading, further individual drops will be counted; auto-zeroing only happens right near the zero point (after you tare).

Interestingly, if I add an object (a nickel or whatever, I usually just use the cap from the bottle I'm working with) so that it reads a weight -- say, 5g, and then I can add a drop and it will read it -- 5.02 on the display, for example -- but then if I remove the nickel, the .02 that had previously registered, will just "disappear." Once the nickel is gone you would expect it to read 0.02, but instead, now that it's back near the zero point, the auto-zeroing feature kicks in and sees that .02 as "erroneous" so just makes it vanish. I can even put the nickel back on and it will read 5.00 again, as if that drop I added -- and the scale registered, initially -- never even happened.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    The problem appears to arise when small amounts are added slowly. I personally never had a problem with it either but several people have reported it. I currently have the AW scale and don't have the LB-501 any longer to try to recreate the glitch.
    What scale are you using now? I think I'm ready to start weighing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    My LB-501 seems to wake up and register correctly if I start to drip drops in succession. Maybe it's not counting the first drop, though. I've been starting with the nic in 6 bottles and then going back to add to PG, VG, and flavor in that order. I think what started me doing that sequence is the order listed in EjuiceMeUp recipes. They start with nic,pg,vg, and then flavors.

I mixed my last batch a month ago and it's time to do another because of the 4 week steep time involved with tobaccos.

I'm going to try a finger tap to wake it up, let it settle, and then an immediate ingredient pour next time I mix. I"m hoping that it's the just first drop in a drip that isn't registered.

Last edited:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2013
    W. Ma. U.S.A.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    Reactions: IDJoel

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I finally found the AC adapter that came with my LB-501 scale. When I first started using it I just tossed the AC adapter in a drawer. It hasn't timed out on a mix, but it's probably better to have it on AC than in battery mode.

I've read the comments about missing the first drop. Did we decide that dripping multiple drops woke it up to the point where it would measure the weight accurately if the quantity is more than a drop or two and hits the scale in a continuous stream?

Mine hasn't timed out in a multiple ingredient pour, but it does seem to register a little sluggishly and dance around for a second when the first drops hit the scale. After that, it continues fine up to the end of that particular pour. At the end of a pour I'm adding drops to hit the target weight.

My juice is fine every time, but the technician in me wants to know the nuts and bolts of operation and whether it's accurate within specs when it senses a few drops hitting the bottle from a standby state.

I checked my scale with a couple of nickels. One weighed 5.00g and the other weighed 4.99g. Close enough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread