Mod clones... how do you feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Mt Vernon,Texas
Know this will catch some flak, but the original designer is getting ripped off by clones. It is sad that these are probably just as well produced by the Chinese @ a faction of the price. We must remember the economy of China & the state turns it's back to counterfiters, just as long as it makes $$$$$$.
Pardon the speeling.

louis

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
US made stainless steel bar stock alone costs more than $5...

Google automotive Heim Joint.
My company made these from steel, not soft brass.
Here in 'Murcia.
Much harder to manufacture than a soft brass tube.
The tooling itself costs more.
They retail for around $8 and can handle a 1200hp v8 drag car.

Wake up and use common sense.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Know this will catch some flak, but the original designer is getting ripped off by clones. It is sad that these are probably just as well produced by the Chinese @ a faction of the price. We must remember the economy of China & the state turns it's back to counterfiters, just as long as it makes $$$$$$.
Pardon the speeling.

louis

Sorry, but I will never consider a Designer pricing above what persons consider reasonably affordable(not buying anyway) or who's most common listing is - OUT OF STOCK - as ever being ripped off or financially effected.
and again, Counterfeiting is replicating an object in order to Defraud.

Next debate - legitimacy of using 3D printers :facepalm:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Google automotive Heim Joint.
My company made these from steel, not soft brass.
Here in 'Murcia.
Much harder to manufacture than a soft brass tube.
The tooling itself costs more.
They retail for around $8 and can handle a 1200hp v8 drag car.

Wake up and use common sense.

Oh, boy, now a bolt for a car= a mod...

havoc1967

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Colorado Springs
Whenever I see this topic (which is often) I think the same thing. Buy what you want, use what you want and don't worry what other people are using. I buy mech clones because I want to. But I certainly bear no ill will towards others who buy an original. My present to myself in the very near future will be a Provari. Why...because I want one. The only reason and justification I need.

p

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
So I,m a Racist? Hows that? In China they make Cheap copies of other peoples Work! Thats a FACT!
Educate my self! sure there are international patents But who can afford to do any thing about it? Apple McDonalds
Not some guy from Russia who made an RBA You want to buy Junk thats your choice
calling me a racist and uneducated is uncalled for!!

Here is the problem that people keep ignoring.
They are not priced accordingly, they are priced astronomically, and never available.
That's why clones only cost one-tenth the price of an "original" (no mods sold today are original, they are all rip offs of a modified flashlight.)

Roll back the racism. There are international copyright and patent laws that apply in china too.
None of these modders own the utility design that they all copy.
Google utility patent and educate yourself. This is why no one is getting sued

Don't misplace your loyalty.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
What I hate here is the implication that I'm a dunce for buying authentic when I can.

I choose to spend my money supporting the innovator. Right or wrong, it is what I CHOOSE to spend my money on. Some people have nice cars or nice TV's; I have a rusted out 99 maxima and 32in tube TV BUT I have a nice collection or authentic mods and attys, along with some clones too.

Edit: how do you feel about kayfun clones (or whatever noun you want to use)? Okay, a 'battery tube' may just be that, but can you deny that the kayfun is a quite nice feat of engineering?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
What I hate here is the implication that I'm a dunce for buying authentic when I can.

I choose to spend my money supporting the innovator. Right or wrong, it is what I CHOOSE to spend my money on. Some people have nice cars or nice TV's; I have a rusted out 99 maxima and 32in tube TV BUT I have a nice collection or authentic mods and attys, along with some clones too.

Edit: how do you feel about kayfun clones (or whatever nounyou want to use)? Okay, a 'battery tube' may just be that, but can you deny that the kayfun is a quite nice feat of engineering?

I have no problem with you or anyone buying authentic :) and I wish I had an abundance of discretionary income so I could do the same. I support you buying what you want. Your authentic mods will probably have a much greater proportion of resale value than my clones, and the pride of ownership is well worth the price for many folks. I support you!

I buy clones because I can afford clones. I could afford authentic mods if I was willing to compromise in my other expenditures... but I am not. I would rather drive my Lexus than a Yugo. Different strokes for everyone, all good and dependent in large part on the availability of resources in each person's particular case.

I also support your view of supporting the innovator. The problem with mech mods is there is very little true innovation... a battery tube is a battery tube, and this technology is very old.

Regarding Kayfun clones... I own two of them (Hcigar clones of the Kayfun 3.1), and believe the original Kayfun is innovative as far as design engineering. The Kayfun clones vary widely in quality, and many I have seen were junk. Buyer beware and all that entails... but I do not have a big problem with people buying Kayfun clones. People who want originals will buy them. People who are willing to take the risks of spotty quality or who are unable to afford an original will buy the clones. I support the ability of the consumer to buy whatever they want, assuming they have the money to buy the item and that it is legal to do so.

SvoeMesto could take legal action against the cloners assuming (a) they were on solid legal footing to do so, (b) if they were willing to expend the effort and money, and (c) if there was a reasonable chance of success. Notice that the original version of the Smok Magneto had a stylized spider emblem (reminiscent of Spider Man) on the firing button, but current Magnetos do not. I read somewhere that Smok was pressured into removing the spider emblem due to threat of hostile litigation from Marvel, although I do not have any references or citations at hand to support this.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
Speaking of the Magneto, it is an obvious nzonic clone. But its not a 1-1. I have a no problem with what Smok did to aesthetically change it. I wish some of these companies would do the same. Charge maybe $15 buck more, but have a different ....ty logo, instead of the creators ....ty logo.

I dunno, like was said, to each their own.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
So I,m a Racist? Hows that? In China they make Cheap copies of other peoples Work! Thats a FACT!
Educate my self! sure there are international patents But who can afford to do any thing about it? Apple McDonalds
Not some guy from Russia who made an RBA You want to buy Junk thats your choice
calling me a racist and uneducated is uncalled for!!

Uh, oh... I don't like American brand cars... I think they are mostly junk. I must be a racist...:facepalm:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Uh, oh... I don't like American brand cars... I think they are mostly junk. I must be a racist...:facepalm:
It was a comment on his incorrect generalization that all Chinese companies are counterfeiters (criminals).
It's not correct, and is a blatant jab at the Chinese.
Last time I checked Surefire was a US company.
Ask Mojo how original he thinks the King is.
;)

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
the thread is called Mod Clones how do you feel thats what we are discussing not all Chinese Companies

It was a comment on his incorrect generalization that all Chinese companies are counterfeiters (criminals).
It's not correct, and is a blatant jab at the Chinese.
Last time I checked Surefire was a US company.
Ask Mojo how original he thinks the King is.
;)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
the thread is called Mod Clones how do you feel thats what we are discussing not all Chinese Companies

I just think when accusing anyone of a crime you shouldn't generalize.
Be specific and let's see the proof, like files patents to show a crime actually happened.
This is how logical, rational adults behave.

Accusing someone of a crime without proof leaves you liable.
:)

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
What I don't get is... The clone supporters say "$200 for a steel tube is a ripoff!" So, if it's a ripoff, and the originals are nothing special, nothing truly remarkable, why then don't these clone makers make their own design? I mean, if it's so easy / cheap and the original design is unremarkable... Then these clone makers should be able to flood the market and make a killing with their own unique designs right?

Wrong.

They simply wait to see what has high demand, copy it, use the original makers trademark name in their product description.... Riding the coat tails of someone else's success. Then sit back and wait for the funnel of cash to move from the true designer to their pockets. And smokers who paid thousands per year to smoke suddenly can't afford $50 more for the real thing and encourage the whole practice.

Not for me. If it's too expensive, I don't buy it, simple. Or, I ..... Save for it!

Sent from my Provari Mini using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Are you for real? This is a discussion forum not CSI

I just think when accusing anyone of a crime you shouldn't generalize.
Be specific and let's see the proof, like files patents to show a crime actually happened.
This is how logical, rational adults behave.

Accusing someone of a crime without proof leaves you liable.
:)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
EHPro makes blatant clones of the originals ! Bastids !!! But I love em :D

"Blatent clones"

Curious. What could be meant by "blatent clones"?
If they make "blatent clones" why would you call them "Bastids" ?
I mean I suppose by "blatent" you mean "obvious" like they print the word "clone" on the item, so you know and not mistake it for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread