Mod clones... how do you feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
What I don't get is... The clone supporters say "$200 for a steel tube is a ripoff!" So, if it's a ripoff, and they are designing nothing truly remarkable, why then don't these clone makers make their own design? I mean, if it's so easy / cheap and the original design is unremarkable... Them these clone makers should be able to flood the market with their own unique designs right?

Wrong.

They simply wait to see what has high demand, copy it, use the original makers trademark name in their product description.... Then sit back and wait for the funnel of cash to move from the true designer to their pockets. And smokers who paid thousands per year to smoke suddenly can't afford $50 more for the real thing and encourage the whole practice.

Not for me. If it's too expensive, I don't buy it, simple. Or, I ..... Save for it!

Sent from my Provari Mini using Tapatalk

I have a Caravela clone ($45).
I can easily afford a real one.
Please show me where I can buy a new one right now.

$50 more than the clone would be fantastic, I'll buy two right now and give you one!
Just give me a link.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I feel the same way about clones that I do about torrents. When I buy a clone or download a movie illegally, do I feel a little bad? Sure. Does it stop me? Heck no. But if I like the product, I try and support the creator when I can. Even if it mean (ominous pause) saving up.

Whatever, there's always going to be the people who only support the original creator and those who never do. And people in the middle like me. Its not seemingly hitting either industry from a 'creativity' standpoint. I see a new $150+ mod everyday. And a clone of one that came out a week ago. Oh well.

To use the most nondescript, but fully descriptive phrase "it is what it is".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
I have a Caravela clone ($45).
I can easily afford a real one.
Please show me where I can buy a new one right now.

$50 more than the clone would be fantastic, I'll buy two right now and give you one!
Just give me a link.

You might have to save. Or even.... Wait for it. Two thing people don't like doing... Saving money or waiting for something.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
I have some clones, I have some originals. I got the originals used for a FANTASTIC price.

I do not have an issue with people charging the markups they do, I will buy clones. If I like the clone enough I may buy a used original, or even *GASP* save up for one.

Exotic finishes and materials aside there is no RDA worth more than 30$ (more like 20 but murca), there is no RBA worth more than 75$. There is no battery tube worth more than 75$ Variable mods I can see paying more for.

The above statements are my opinion only, my opinions on the value of things are formed by me, through the careful discretionary use of my money.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
You might have to save. Or even.... Wait for it. Two thing people don't like doing... Saving money or waiting for something.

See, always with the condescending comment about "can't afford" or "save up your money".
What makes you think I can't afford one? Or three?
I have 14 mods.
I can afford any mod I want.
Am I willing to play a freakin raffle to win a chance wait 6 months for a chance to spend my money?
Are you crazy?
What kind of business is run like that?
I'm sorry, playing games to get a chance to buy a mod that isnt even i stock?
that's unacceptable.
Does that sound remotelly like a company that has their a
S..t together?

As I have said before: it's not the price alone that fuels clones, it's the poor business practices of these half assed businesses trying to milk the fad.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
And Chinese clone makers are somehow NOT trying to milk the fad? And you buying clones perpetuates it.

I think a lot of people buy clones because they *claim* they can't afford it. I think most of them can.

You know EDA, there is nothing illegal about cloning a piece of hardware that has no legal protection. Under US law and Chinese law, it is permissible. It is not an infringement issue at all. The designer, creator, inventor of a product did not file patents on their unique hardware or trademark their logos/names, why? I don't know it was their business decision (Provape did, and I've never seen a Provari clone). There is no business issue here at all. And what's wrong with milking a fad? Every type of business does this, and always have. Look at car manufacturers and Pepsi challenges. Just part of business.

So what you are saying is that your moral compass perceives this practice as bad. My moral compass says it is not illegal and I have the right to buy what I want. Your moral compass in not greater or better than my moral compass. Please don't pretend it is, that just makes you appear to be a foolish zealot. You do what you wish and I will do what I wish, within the law, and there is no issue. But please don't try to force your clone beliefs on others. Just state your opinion (that's all it is since there is no basis in law for your beliefs) and move on. Your opinion is noted, fair enough, I just don't happen to share it... your zealotry gets in the way.

eda123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Austin
Zealotry... That's a bit much. Cloning is of course legal. I dont think a single post said or implied otherwise, you are extrapolating a bit too much. And the OP asked how people feel about the subject. I did so. So if you can't handle that probably best to avoid threads like this. I'm just sharing my thoughts and am not implying anyone is breaking the law by any stretch. I hope you buy all the product copies you need to make you happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread