FDA More news stories expose that FDA's proposed regulation would ban >99% of nicotine vapor products

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Ive heard it said many times that the difference between a liberal and a conservative is:

If a conservative doesnt like guns, he doesnt buy one.

If a liberal doesnt like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

Theres a LOT of truth in that statement, especially in regards to e-cigs

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Ive heard it said many times that the difference between a liberal and a conservative is:

It would be helpful if all on this thread would call or send a letter to Cole a Representative from Oklahoma(I am sorry I do not have his District number) thanking him for his Bill HR2058 concerning the Deeming Regs. It would be positive to call or write your Rep to ask for their support for this Bill when it is introduced. You might also contact Boehner and McCarthy to bring this to the floor for a vote. Mr. Aderholt a Rep from California(I do not have his District #) either co-sponsered HR2058 or has proposed another such Bill. Sorry,I need to look that up or someone on this forum might have that information at hand. When we get political support,we should also thank those who are helping us.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I truly do not understand why people still claim that nicotine is as addictive
its because it is.
here's the caveat.
roughly 30% of all cigarette smokers will develop a dependency.
this is much higher than all the illegal stuff.
(excluding the new designer and or hyper-processed stuff as
i am referring to what was around 30 to 40 years ago.)
what is not mentioned is you do not see smokers personal
lives deteriorate as quickly and or dramatically as users
of the other things.
when they use the term addiction in the context they
use it they want to convey the mental image with all
the emotional baggage of your typical drug addled
poor soul living under the bridge by the tracks.
this is a typical anti-anything tactic to take a undeniable
fact and misrepresent what it means.
regards
mike

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

Conservatives want a constitutional ammendment banning same sex marriage. Conservatives want a constitutional ammendment banning abortions. See any similarities between liberals and conservatives?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Conservatives want a constitutional ammendment banning same sex marriage. Conservatives want a constitutional ammendment banning abortions. See any similarities between liberals and conservatives?
I would like to think that "conservatives" would like to see Civil Unions given the same rights as married people.
But I certainly can't speak for anyone, let alone everyone.
:)

As far as I'm concerned "marriage" should not have any special significance under the law.
That is a violation of the separation of Church and State.

As for abortions, that's another tricky subject.

I guess it depends on what rights you feel belong to the living.
And at what point you assign such rights to a fetus.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I would like to think that "conservatives" would like to see Civil Unions given the same rights as married people.
But I certainly can't speak for anyone, let alone everyone.
:)

As far as I'm concerned "marriage" should not have any special significance under the law.
That is a violation of the separation of Church and State.

As for abortions, that's another tricky subject.

I guess it depends on what rights you feel belong to the living.
And at what point you assign such rights to a fetus.

I didn't understand the need to call it "marriage" rather than "civil union" as long as the same rights were involved, but the way things have developed, I see how that might've been a very good move to insist on it being called marriage. But conservatives by and large were against same rights being given to civil unions back then. Maybe that'd be different today.

The current National Republican Party Platform (2012 to be replaced by a 2016 version at the 2016 convention) calls for traditional marriage, only. In fact it calls for a constitutional ammendment banning same sex marriage. It also calls for banning abortion, but I think they might have dropped their call for a constitutional ammendment banning abortion.

I'm troubled by abortion, I don't want to be a part of any, but I'm opposed to banning it.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It would be helpful if all on this thread would call or send a letter to Cole a Representative from Oklahoma(I am sorry I do not have his District number) thanking him for his Bill HR2058 concerning the Deeming Regs. It would be positive to call or write your Rep to ask for their support for this Bill when it is introduced. You might also contact Boehner and McCarthy to bring this to the floor for a vote. Mr. Aderholt a Rep from California(I do not have his District #) either co-sponsered HR2058 or has proposed another such Bill. Sorry,I need to look that up or someone on this forum might have that information at hand. When we get political support,we should also thank those who are helping us.

Done--in May. :)

CASAA: Call to Action! Support HR 2058 which would change the grandfather date for vapor products

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

People and societies like to ban behaviors they don't approve of... Historically speaking. Thou shalt not.
wink.gif
Anything and everything from murder and coveting your neighbor's wife, servant, or his ox and ... to partially hydrogenated fats.

Which is why I like libertarians. They are not big on bans. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I wish fewer libertarians were willing to veer off course in joining forces with social conservatives and their issues.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but this discussion is heading a bit off topic of this thread, so I won't engage.

But, as a person living in California where the word 'alien' was officially banned by our governor just yesterday, I find it astounding that the American progressives, who, by definition, are the biggest proponents or tolerance and diversity, are the most intolerant of diversity of thought. :facepalm:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but this discussion is heading a bit off topic of this thread, so I won't engage.

Tea Party would be an example.
But, as a person living in California where the word 'alien' was officially banned by our governor just yesterday, I find it astounding that the American progressives, who, by definition, are the biggest proponents or tolerance and diversity, are the most intolerant of diversity of thought. :facepalm:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I didn't understand the need to call it "marriage" rather than "civil union" as long as the same rights were involved, but the way things have developed, I see how that might've been a very good move to insist on it being called marriage. But conservatives by and large were against same rights being given to civil unions back then. Maybe that'd be different today.
years ago Minnesota along with other states had civil union
legislation on the table. it virtually gave all the rights and
responsibilities of people entering into a civil union the
very same and identical privileges as a married couple.
to say the Gay Rights activists blew it out of the water
is an understatement. they were livid.it absolutely
positively had to be called marriage. the law had
overwhelming support from both sides of the house
and would have passed with flying colors.
as a result of the Gay Rights movement, legislation
was delayed for at least a decade.
regards
mike

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
You might also contact Boehner and McCarthy to bring this to the floor for a vote.

No, don't do that until we know we have 218 votes for the bill to pass.
First, we need to get more cosponsors for the bill, and we need to get it through the House E&C Cmte.

Remember, this battle is likely to continue for at least another two years (and perhaps until FDA's e-cig prohibition day).
But we can win, and I think we will eventually win (if not in Congress, and if not in the next administration, in federal court).

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The current National Republican Party Platform (2012 to be replaced by a 2016 version at the 2016 convention) calls for traditional marriage, only.

OMG! The platform of 2012!!

"Fast forward to 2008 when presidential candidate Obama told Pastor Rick Warren he sees marriage as being “between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage.” He added that as a Christian, he viewed that bond as a “sacred union. God’s in the mix.” "

He became a supporter of gay marriage in May of 2012.
History of Obama's changing views on same-sex marriage | Fox News
----
A decade prior, she stood by her husband as he signed the Defense of Marriage Act, a piece of legislation that codified gay America’s second-class status. So it’s fair to say that Hillary Clinton has had a longstanding opposition to gay marriage—either that, or she was too afraid to speak truthfully about her convictions for political reasons, which is really just as bad. Only in 2013, as a presumptive 2016 presidential contender, did Clinton reverse her stance.

Remember When Hillary Clinton Was Against Gay Marriage?

That's 'June of 2013'
Hillary Clinton's Gay-Marriage Problem - The Atlantic

Without getting into a full discussion, I think you'll find comments by likely contenders on the Republican side to be, basically, the court has spoken, I'll abide by the law, let's move on ... most say: "an issue that should be left to the states."

Rand Paul - most libertarian candidate: "Our founding fathers went to the local courthouse to be married, not to Washington, D.C. I’ve often said I don’t want my guns or my marriage registered in Washington."

Reactions: KattMamma

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
No, don't do that until we know we have 218 votes for the bill to pass.
First, we need to get more cosponsors for the bill, and we need to get it through the House E&C Cmte.

I agree. My "ditto" comment to Luisa was contacting Boehner but on his grandfather date change proposal, not to bring up a floor vote - more support is needed (or needs to be verified), first.

Reactions: LaraC

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
its because it is.
here's the caveat.
roughly 30% of all cigarette smokers will develop a dependency.
this is much higher than all the illegal stuff.
mike

But that's 30% of cigarette smokers, not nicotine users. We as ex-smokers/vapers know first hand the difference between being addicted to smoking cigs and being addicted to nicotine. I do not believe nicotine by itself is as addictive as some of the things it's compared too. Cigarettes maybe, but not nicotine. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the general public the two are one in the same. It amazes me how many people think nicotine is a carcinogen because they automatically think cigarette when they hear the word nicotine.

From my personal experience, yes, i'm still addicted to nicotine via vaping. However, the cravings are no where near as bad as when i was a smoker. I can go must of the day if i have to without vaping and the carving is mild, sometimes moderate if i'm stressed out. When i was smoking i would have wanted to punch someone in the face if i had to go a whole day without a cig even if i was just on vacation relaxing with nothing else irritating me.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

The current National Republican Party Platform (2012 to be replaced by a 2016 version at the 2016 convention) calls for traditional marriage, only. In fact it calls for a constitutional ammendment banning same sex marriage. It also calls for banning abortion, but I think they might have dropped their call for a constitutional ammendment banning abortion.

I'm troubled by abortion, I don't want to be a part of any, but I'm opposed to banning it.

This is exactly the problem.

It's a problem of definition or meaning of words.

If you have the word 'marraige', in law, being defined, or presumed to be between opposite sexes, then changing the definition of the word can affect laws in an unintended way.

The same problem comes up in a somewhat different way with the "deeming" issue.

I support same sex unions; but I don't support deeming it 'marraige'.
I support microfogmachines, more commonly called e-cigarettes; but I don't support deeming them 'tobacco products"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread