My first bad vaping experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I would like to encourage everyone to vape in normal "smoking areas".

-rick

Sorry no. I never intended to quit smoking. The reason I took up vaping was so I wouldn't smell like smoke during certain times. Now that I don't smoke, I just generall don't want to smell like it.
And my feelings about some anti ordering me to go to the smoking area is that they have no regard for my health. I've realized how much damage smoke was doing to me and I sure am not going to willingly expose myself to it again in a place like smoking areas where most of the time SH is so thick that I might as well have smoked two or three analogs.

And no, I'm not anti. I still got friends who smoke. One especially. She smokes in her vehicle but is nice enough to crack a window so I'm not overwhelmed. A little I will put up but I chose the time and place, not someone else. I'd rather spend an hour in a bathroom stall.

tdwave

ECF Veteran
Had to post. A couple points. You would not be using this product if you didn't smoke a CIGARETTE in the first place... You saw the E-cig article and bought it under that name. And bought it to stop smoking. You can call them what you want. They are marketed as E-Cigs and that's that. If you think for one minute that it's going to make a non smoker any more happier, you are strongly mistaken. You were looked down on when you smoked and will be will be the same with a e-cig or pv or vaporizer. Some of you think by trying to rename the wheel i might please these people, you are not going to change their minds. If we had the power the FDA and other org have with the media, we might have a chance. To do what? Vape em if you got em.....Oh by the way, lets see, the FDA and other org. refer to them as what?
E_Cigarettes..
The other point is this: I learned as a smoker to wait until i left a dinner, or walked out of a store or sitting in a car to go outside to smoke.. use your brain. you can wait a little bit.. I admit, i was in the house of pancakes... after eating a horrible breakfast, i decided well let me try this.. senseless, if i couldn't smoke in there, why try that.. just will piss off people.. We as smokers know fully well what the rules are. That they are advertised as smoking anywhere is not cool. But i say use your brain..
Thanks.

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
If you think for one minute that it's going to make a non smoker any more happier, you are strongly mistaken. You were looked down on when you smoked and will be will be the same with a e-cig or pv or vaporizer.

I agree with alot of what you say, but that statement has proven false for me so far. Everyone I know (minus a couple skeptics) is really glad I'm vaping instead of smoking. My cousin didnt even mind if I did it around her kids (I didn't). Even the skeptics concede it probably is better than smoking.

Once people understand it they're pretty receptive. And once they see and smell that it's not like smoke they're even more receptive. That's been my experience so far.

I think it's important to have a positive upbeat attitude about it when introducing the non-initiated to vaping and don't attack people just because it's something new they haven't seen and don't understand yet.

MitchellBeans

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Since I started smoking way back when, I was always polite to non-smokers. Never smoked around those who thought it smelled bad ... but if in a group it had to be a democratic vote :)

The same goes with e-cigs (note: I refuse to call cigarettes 'anologs' and I am not comfortable with the term 'vaping')

My friends have accepted that I now have e-cigs and I have educated them that they are harmless. Friends think they have an 'odor' but it is very subtle and not 'offensive'. They allow me to partake in it around them, and in their homes.

I have not had an e-cig in public or at work.... However, I also usually only smoked at home or when drinking at friends... (after going outside of course) or maybe if I have areally long car ride. So, I suppose I am OK with how it has worked out so far. If I choose to have an e-cig in public, I will most likely stealth it :) No reason to rock the boat.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
Why couldn't they be called what they really are? Personal Vaporizer?

Who was the one that named it the e-cig??? lol

I usually don't use my e-cig in indoor places unless its at a friend's house that I'm allowed to use it in or in my own home. I will use it in the smoking area outside only because its out of habit. I keep getting a mental slap on the hand if I did vape indoors. At the same time, I think by vaping with the smokers helps raise awareness.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
Semantics is the study of meaning, usually in language. The word "semantics" itself denotes a range of ideas, from the popular to the highly technical. It is often used in ordinary language to denote a problem of understanding that comes down to word selection or connotation.

I think that the terminology you use has a lot to do with acceptance. For example, let's say that you had a doctors appointment and arrived early and the receptionist told you that the doctor is running a little late (for the sake of argument) perhaps 45 minutes or more. You obviously accept the fact that you have to wait or you don't see your doctor today. You decide to stay and ask the receptionist the following question(s) and what may be the typical responses:

1. Is it ok if I smoke while I wait? - Obviously you would be instructed to go outside to a designated smoking area, often off company property.

2. Can I use my personal vaporizer while I wait? - This one will more than likely get more of a questioned response like "What do you mean by "personal vaporizer""? This one may warrant a more detailed explanation or demonstration which in turn may receive a negative response.

3. Can I use my nicotine inhaler while I wait? - This one I think you would be more apt to receive a positive response to. A nicotine inhaler is a medical device and therefore I think would be 100% acceptable for you to use in the waiting area of a doctors office.

Now, with a quick search on the web, I found this:

"A nicotine inhaler allows cigarette smokers to get nicotine without using tobacco, much like nicotine gum or a nicotine patch. Nicotine inhalers that are marketed as nicotine replacement therapy should not be confused with electronic cigarettes, which produce vapor and which are marketed mainly as devices that smokers can use in non-smoking areas."

So, past and current marketing practices have already given a black eye to the industry. Personally, I know that my PV simulates the act and satisfies the nicotine that my body wants just like a cigarette did, but that's it. In no other way is the term "cigarette" appropriate for my PV.

In the aforementioned example at the doctors office, I would simply stealth vape if I felt I could not or did not want to wait until my appointment was over. Due to the stigma of "smoke" or the appearance of anything resembling smoke, we are in a hard place, so I say just stealth vape whenever and wherever you want when the situation warrants it.

:thumb:

redraven

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Texas, USA
And i rather say electronic smoking than personal vaporizer. I think I am the only one on here who hates that term. It sounds so nerdy and faggy. OOOH MY PERSONALL VAPORIZERRR> reminds me of someone saying my personal vibrator.
*snort* That made me laugh. And yeah, I don't love the term.
Also, a guy that I work with has a lawyer for a wife and has pretty much told him that these ecigs are illegal....I said, "what, no sir" he said yes, his wife says that the FDA has not approved it so therefore, they are a non legal, non banned substance in a kind of limbo state.
My take on that is that it's sort of like "Off-Label" Use of medications. Since the chemicals composing an e-cig are approved/considered safe for other things, PVs can't be declared illegal on that basis. Since the components aren't approved in combination, regulated for consistency in juices, etc. they are in a sort of limbo, but not illegal. Only thing illegal is advertising them as a smoking-cessation device, since they aren't approved for that currently.
"It's a personal vaporizer that is helping me get off cigarettes."
...it is the same thing as a "Fog Machine" like they use at night clubs and rock concerts, just smaller
Excellent ideas.
I am just going to treat it as if it were an actual cigarette ie. vape it at the same places I would smoke at.
I generally agree. I guess it depends on what you personally want out of vaping. For me, it's not a matter of "Oooh, I can smoke anywhere!" It's something I'm using to reduce/quit smoking analogs. There may be times it's helpful for keeping me sane in situations where I can't smoke for a long time or it's really cold outside, etc., but I don't feel like I have to use it just because I can. If I've been getting through certain situations without a cig just fine for years, I feel no need to suddenly use my PV in them.

My personal feeling on terminology: I don't especially like the term "personal vaporizer" because it's unfamiliar & leads to a big discussion. In some situations that's great, but if you're dealing with a "Grr! You can't smoke here" situation, you want to get things clarified as soon as possible. More people are going to understand e-cig than PV. Yes, it uses the word "cigarette," but I think that can be okay if you frame it right. Best concise answer I can think of right now would be "It's an electronic, tobacco & smoke-free cigarette alternative. It's not ignited & just produces some basically odorless vapor." Yes, it's a bit longer than saying "Personal Vaporizer," but I think it covers the points people would object to in a pretty quick & clear way. (Feel free to suggest improvements. I'd love to be ready with a good response for when this comes up).

RR

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
I vape in a lot of places but, I hold it in and when I do exhale there is no vapor. I get my nic and offend no-one. No need to hold the PV in a secret fashion. SOme have still come over to ask what I was doing. Quick explanation with a small vape, small exhale, hold the rest in till gone. Works like a charm!

saphic

Aug 29, 2009
Seattle, WA
I had a moment at a holiday party where someone told me not to smoke in thier house, which I was seriously offended by, since I no longer smoke, but it wan't the host's fault at all. I later found out this was due to a particularly uppitly lady in our community who left the party due to my vaping. uppity lady didn't have the etiquette to complain to me directly and I didn't find out about it until we were both at another party and she started whining when I was showing someone my cigar. I made a loud obvious pronouncement that I would gladly vape outside if it bothered anyone at anytime anywhere and I hopefully embarrassed her.

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Oddly, people's knee-jerk reactions in my area of the country tend to be that they think this things is for illegal drugs. Most people that see it think it is marijuana, but I have had a couple of people ask if it was crack too. The conversation goes something like this:

Dullard: Is that pot?!?
Me: No, do you really think I'd use it openly if it was?
Dullard: Durh, uh, no, I guess not. Well, what is it?
Me: Its a personal vaporizer.
Dullard: Oh, so, it is some medical thing?
Me: Yes, it calms my nerves and helps me not go ballistic on stupid people.

It really depends on the person. I've told someone it is a nico-trol (spelling?) inhaler before, and they left me be. I tend to save the seminars for the smokers, but I have found more non-smokers are interested than smokers. I attribute that to the fear that they might actually quit smoking. I know that sounds stupid, but think back to when you smoked, and I'll bet many of you will understand what I mean. I was terrified of quitting.

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
I had a moment at a holiday party where someone told me not to smoke in thier house, which I was seriously offended by, since I no longer smoke, but it wan't the host's fault at all. I later found out this was due to a particularly uppitly lady in our community who left the party due to my vaping. uppity lady didn't have the etiquette to complain to me directly and I didn't find out about it until we were both at another party and she started whining when I was showing someone my cigar. I made a loud obvious pronouncement that I would gladly vape outside if it bothered anyone at anytime anywhere and I hopefully embarrassed her.

I agree that the woman should have confronted you if it was such a problem, but I have never vaped in someone's house without getting their permission first. Except my mom's, but she's been to my house with me vaping, so she is familiar with it and is just happy I am not smoking. Anyway, I always ask first, because so many people don't know what they are, and it is their house.

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
Actually, you're not exhaling water vapor. You're exhaling PG/VG vapor with small amounts of nicotine and whatever flavoring is in your juice. If your body absorbed all of that stuff, there would be no vapor when you exhale.

The only way to exhale water vapor would be to vape water.

Just for clarification.

Typically your supplier bought juice is about 65% pure water, just for clarification.:thumbs:

Last edited:

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
Oddly, people's knee-jerk reactions in my area of the country tend to be that they think this things is for illegal drugs. Most people that see it think it is marijuana, but I have had a couple of people ask if it was crack too. The conversation goes something like this:

Dullard: Is that pot?!?
Me: No, do you really think I'd use it openly if it was?
Dullard: Durh, uh, no, I guess not. Well, what is it?
Me: Its a personal vaporizer.
Dullard: Oh, so, it is some medical thing?
Me: Yes, it calms my nerves and helps me not go ballistic on stupid people.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

That's my kinda humor right there!

I'm going to have to use that one HHG, do you mind? lol

I got that visiting family over Christmas. My aunt charged me yelling what was I thinking, then when she walked into the huge prodigy cloud, she totally went blank and asked what it was. I asked if she smelled smoke or fire, or tobacco, no one in my family had any problem after that. I even took a big drag in front of my friends 86 year old awnry mother, she relized it was not smoke and said nothing more.

If in a movie theather, I just hold it in a few secs and blow it downward..

In stores I play stupid and say what smoke, even had a few sniff the air like rats for cheese, but no smoke was smelt.

In worst case when fully watched taking a drag and blowing out a massive cloud, I just say it is water vapour and act irratated they bugged me with a question.

Some strange thing happens to people when they think they can bust another person like that. Like they are your parents and will scold you for smoking. When that spark hits the brain and they relize they have no footing to scold you they turn back into the servant sheep helping you find whatever you went there for.

simonduz

Jan 6, 2010
USA
New e-cig owner here and my first post. I've been vaping for 4 days now and the wife just started yesterday. I have read every post in this thread with great curiosity because this is probably the most interesting topic for any x-smoker now vaping. I deliberatly chose a model and color that would not look like a cigarette there by removing some of the stigma associated with smoking.
As a new user I have found myself on both sides of the fence. I want to push the boundaries by vaping everywhere but then it's almost like instinct kicks in and I loose my courage. I am slowly coming out of my shell and have been talking with a few others at work about the device. Some know of them, some have expressed interest, but mostly they concerned with the appearance that I am still "smoking".
One day at a time, a few people a day, and as I continue to talk about it and become more comfortable talking about it I am more comfortable with the device in general.
2 things that I am most concerned with while vaping in public.
  1. I am concerned with the general public thinking I am using a device to conceal drugs.
  2. I am concerned with promoting the coolness factor to those that are underage.
Does anyone care to share your thoughts on this?
Thanks for the interesting read, and for helping me make the decission to quit smoking analogs!

Tilly

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
I prefer to keep a low profile because I want to keep this option available to me. For me an in your face attitude about them will only lead to bans or restrictions. I have been using it inside my work place since it has been really cold. My boss knows about them and hasn't said anything. Upper management is not aware (yet) and if/when they do and restrict me I will protest because they do allow dipping/chewing inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread