Status
Not open for further replies.

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
Anyone for strait Latakia? Price of this tobacco is going higher and higher because of ISIL d**ches.

Actually, I like it best with some added Virginia. Just enough to take the edge off.

BITD I constantly had a pipeful of "Midnite" by Peretti Tobacconist in Boston. Straight Latakia soaked in Vanilla. Mmmmnnnn.....
If we're talking in a juice form, I'm all about it.
My limited experience with a pipe told me that Latakia was a bit too bold and acrid, at least the sample I had. When I read Scarf-Ace's technique for extraction, I practiced with the Latakia I had on hand and loved it as a vape, both heat and cold macerated.
How would you compare NET.com's Smoked Latakia? Is that a pretty accurate representation of a true leaf?
I'm trying to wrap my head around the styles and where to find a good example without having to resort to lighting back up again to find out for myself.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
... I'm trying to wrap my head around the styles and where to find a good example without having to resort to lighting back up again to find out for myself.

Why light up if you're looking for a good Latakia for Vaping? Most times the flavor of the vape will not directly correspond to actually smoking it, which really isn't a bad thing. Pipes & Cigars.com offers 429 varieties of straight and blended Latakia pipe tobacco's, and where I picked up the Hearth & Home House of Lords.

The only liquid I've made/ tried featuring Latakia is Hearth & Home House of Lords because it's perfectly satisfying for me, it's listed as Mild-Medium in strength. It blends three Virginia's, Oriental and Latakia, a nice balance of Smokey/ sweet with a hint of Oriental aftertaste.

That being said, the Tsuge Ryujin is on my radar, a Medium- Full strength blend of Latakia, Perique and Virginia... I guess one more Tin to my stash won't make much difference, probably throw in a couple Cigars to make shipping worthwhile... off to place an order :lol:.

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
Why light up if you're looking for a good Latakia for Vaping? Most times the flavor of the vape will not directly correspond to actually smoking it, which really isn't a bad thing. Pipes & Cigars.com offers 429 varieties of straight and blended Latakia pipe tobacco's, and where I picked up the Hearth & Home House of Lords.

The only liquid I've made/ tried featuring Latakia is Hearth & Home House of Lords because it's perfectly satisfying for me, it's listed as Mild-Medium in strength. It blends three Virginia's, Oriental and Latakia, a nice balance of Smokey/ sweet with a hint of Oriental aftertaste.

That being said, the Tsuge Ryujin is on my radar, a Medium- Full strength blend of Latakia, Perique and Virginia... I guess one more Tin to my stash won't make much difference, probably throw in a couple Cigars to make shipping worthwhile... off to place an order :lol:.
Hey Buddy!
That was kind of my point actually, I won't smoke anymore so I wouldn't know what a true Latakia flavor was in my juice.
I do know that the Latakia style juices are among my favorites along with Perique styles but I never really had the luxury of packing a pipe with a well represented leaf. I started to experiment with a pipe, but I switched to vaping within 6 months of getting a pipe and never looked back.

I guess I don't know if I'm feeling "cheated" out of knowing what it's like to enjoy these blends when I read about others experiences and the nostalgia it seems to bring up.*sigh* But it's not enough to tempt me to light up and find out.
Just curious if the experienced Pipe guys would rank certain juices as an accurate representation of what it was like when they lit up a bowlful, to some extent.

I suppose it's time to get over the stigma of once again buying tobacco by visiting the local tobacconist and getting a tin or two of a quality, known Latakia blend and practice my extraction prowess again!:lol:

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I was a Camel man for ~38 years, dabbled with Captain Black and smoked a few of those Cigars in a Tin before switching to vaping. Like you, I never smoked a Latakia or Perique nor even knew of those Tobacco's existing, so I don't know how they taste other than through vaping, nor do I feel cheated.

Heck I remember when Chesterfield non-filters were the best tasting ciggy, but after vaping NETs for the past four years I don't miss lighting up at all. Five years ago I never thought I'd stop smoking because I found it enjoyable, now I always wonder why I smoked for so long... never found a suitable substitute until I started vaping.

My method for choosing a Pipe or Cigar Tobacco is by reading the description and reviews of Tobacco's, if it appeals to me I'll try it, since I've never smoked them that's about the best way to decide. Once you find out what your preferences are, it becomes just a bit easier but is still a crap shoot. I like Turkish, Oriental, Virginia & Perique Tobacco's best, Burley and Cavendish Tobacco's are a bit uninteresting in vape form even though I enjoyed both in a pipe.

I prefer Cigars over Pipes, but enjoy a good pipe Latakia/ Oriental blend and Virginia/ Perique blend. My Cigar preference is a Drew Estate/ Acid line or CAO brand, I did buy one 1881 Perique Cigar but haven't macerated it yet, guess I'll start that one this afternoon.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
My limited experience with a pipe told me that Latakia was a bit too bold and acrid, at least the sample I had. When I read Scarf-Ace's technique for extraction, I practiced with the Latakia I had on hand and loved it as a vape, both heat and cold macerated.
How would you compare NET.com's Smoked Latakia? Is that a pretty accurate representation of a true leaf?
I'm trying to wrap my head around the styles and where to find a good example without having to resort to lighting back up again to find out for myself.

actually, I like the ones I extracted because I can keep adjusting the percent of concentrate to my liking......
Smoked Latakia from NET.com was a little mild for my taste.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I did buy one 1881 Perique Cigar but haven't macerated it yet, guess I'll start that one this afternoon.

I got that 1881 in the jar, did a La Herencia Cubana Cigar and two Pipes; Captain Black Royal and a non-aromatic Great Hiatus; Latakia, Oriental, Turkish and Virginia blend, macerating til July 17th (90 days).

Ordered the Tsuge Ryujin, Ohm Turkish Red and two acid Cigars; Toast & Earthiness yummm!

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I can't compare as I never tried the Smoked Latakia. I just make my own juice.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
I have read in a google patent that a tobacco extract with nicotine is changing bad in flavours after 3 months because of a reaction with nicotine an air and a tobacco extract without nicotine is still good after 12 months.

Patent DE19630619C2 - Im wesentlichen nikotinfreies Tabakaromaöl sowie Verfahren zu dessen Herstellung In essence, nicotine-free tobacco aroma oil and process for its production

Have you experiences with this ? I am thinking about how to reduce the nicotine in the extracts. I have many extracts and i dont want to waste them. Does someone has an idea ?

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I was a Camel man for ~38 years, dabbled with Captain Black and smoked a few of those Cigars in a Tin before switching to vaping. Like you, I never smoked a Latakia or Perique nor even knew of those Tobacco's existing, so I don't know how they taste other than through vaping, nor do I feel cheated.

Heck I remember when Chesterfield non-filters were the best tasting ciggy, but after vaping NETs for the past four years I don't miss lighting up at all. Five years ago I never thought I'd stop smoking because I found it enjoyable, now I always wonder why I smoked for so long... never found a suitable substitute until I started vaping.

My method for choosing a Pipe or Cigar Tobacco is by reading the description and reviews of Tobacco's, if it appeals to me I'll try it, since I've never smoked them that's about the best way to decide. Once you find out what your preferences are, it becomes just a bit easier but is still a crap shoot. I like Turkish, Oriental, Virginia & Perique Tobacco's best, Burley and Cavendish Tobacco's are a bit uninteresting in vape form even though I enjoyed both in a pipe.

I prefer Cigars over Pipes, but enjoy a good pipe Latakia/ Oriental blend and Virginia/ Perique blend. My Cigar preference is a Drew Estate/ Acid line or CAO brand, I did buy one 1881 Perique Cigar but haven't macerated it yet, guess I'll start that one this afternoon.
Isn't it funny, four decades of smoking, and it took vaping to really learn about tobacco. ;)

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
The same is true of many things.

I know coffee drinkers that only know Folders or Maxwell House. They wouldn't know what beans, origin, or roast was involved.

Same for teas.

Or corn. Most people just buy a can/bag at the store.
I just planted 3 varieties. Each has a different flavor.
And different than the 5 or 6 others I've grown over the last few years.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
I have read in a google patent that a tobacco extract with nicotine is changing bad in flavours after 3 months because of a reaction with nicotine an air and a tobacco extract without nicotine is still good after 12 months.

Patent DE19630619C2 - Im wesentlichen nikotinfreies Tabakaromaöl sowie Verfahren zu dessen Herstellung In essence, nicotine-free tobacco aroma oil and process for its production

Have you experiences with this ? I am thinking about how to reduce the nicotine in the extracts. I have many extracts and i dont want to waste them. Does someone has an idea ?
The patent is referring to an extract without pg its only tobacco extract. Perhaps a storage with pg is better. I dont know what to think about.

I have extracts 1-2 years old, ~12-18 NET extracts in PG or PG/VG, and the juice I mix have no noticeable change in flavor... see previous posts I've done on a simple Cold Maceration, no exotic extraction method is needed for a good NET base...

Part of your trouble with home-made juices tasting muddled or unsatisfactory could be caused by damaged/ altered taste-buds subjected to analogs. You might try an experiment by abstaining from lighting up for a couple months to let your taste-buds rehabilitate... this is just conjecture not backed by Scientific evidence, just personal experience.

RichardA

Oct 31, 2015
I think if you just smoked the commercial cigarettes, you would not know the difference between them. But, if you start on RYO, Pipes or Cigars, you become better informed.

On another note, I have just vaped a tank full of Sun Dried Turkish by NET and already I am getting dry hits. I am running on temperature control and it already is getting dry coils warning. I wonder if the cotton is already getting clogged up.

Reactions: jonnydoe

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There are many variables that change the taste of a juice. The OD of the coil, whether it's coils are close together or spread apart. How you place the cotton in the juice channels. The fit of the cotton in the coil should just slightly drag when you pull it through. The base metal of the coil, and/or ratio of metals in an alloy. Temperature control or not. PG/VG ratio. The flavoring ratio of your extract vs. your base. And many, many more variables including atmospheric pressure.

Experiment, experiment, until you find a method that's right for you.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
no exotic extraction method is needed for a good NET base

Have you ever tried hot ethanol extraction or something else ? For example hot pg and hot ethanol is a difference in taste. I have made both methods with the same tobaccos and i think that hot pg is a boring taste referring to the taste of hot ethanol. The nets with hot ethanol have more smokiness a little bit more similar to a real cigarette.

I am waiting to an offer referring to a soxhlet extractor. I want to try to make a net with smokiness and a little bit deeper flavour. And if this works, i want to try to filter oils and wachses. Dont know if it will work but i have fun with this kind of experiences.

Big Juicy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Placentia, CA
Sounds like your next adventure is going to be hybrid dessert NET's - might I suggest caramel , a bit of anise , sweet cream / dairy milk and marshmallow? haven't got the %'s right yet but I think you can kind of imagine what i'm getting at.

Sounds interesting. The Anise would have to be VERY delicately used here. That stuff just overwhelms almost anything I have tried with it. Keep me posted.

MFToms59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
Nevada
... see previous posts I've done on a simple Cold Maceration, no exotic extraction method is needed for a good NET base...
no exotic extraction method is needed for a good NET base= I don't need an exotic extraction method yada yada...

Have you ever tried hot ethanol extraction or something else ? For example hot pg and hot ethanol is a difference in taste. I have made both methods with the same tobaccos and i think that hot pg is a boring taste referring to the taste of hot ethanol. The nets with hot ethanol have more smokiness a little bit more similar to a real cigarette.

I am waiting to an offer referring to a soxhlet extractor. I want to try to make a net with smokiness and a little bit deeper flavour. And if this works, i want to try to filter oils and wachses. Dont know if it will work but i have fun with this kind of experiences.

No, see clarification in bold, above ^^^^^^^^^^^ :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread