Need new atty setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    Hey guys~

Back in September I broke my reomizer atty and had to get a new one. It was a bit of an ordeal, but Rob was super awesome and helpful. (And thank you again.)

Since then I've been switching back and forth between my reo and the backup mod that I got, a kanger sub tank and some box. I think the sub tank has ruined me though, because more and more I keep seeming to keep gravitating towards it. I mean it's a full cloud, full flavor, cool Vape that I really enjoy.

But at the end of the day I miss my dang reo. I just can't seem to get all three of those factors to translate over to my current reo setup. I can get the flavor with my usual build (.80 ohm coil wrapped around a kayfun screwdriver, 28g kanthal twisted wire.) Or clouds (same coil setup, slightly bigger coil on my other larger screw driver, around .50 ohms) but that's a really hot Vape.

I need suggestions. New equipment? New coil build technique? Reomizer air hole is stock and its single coil only.

Flavor, clouds, cool. Needs all three to really hit for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish Messing

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 19, 2014
    GA, USA
    I like my O-16 and think it could be a good fit for what you're describing. It's been awhile since I used a tank but it does have a (to me) tight draw that I think I would equate to a tank type setup. It's supposed to be great for flavors but I wouldn't know first hand since I gave that stuff up a good while ago.

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada
    It's gonna be hard to get the RM2 to perform the way you're describing. Chiefly, because of the air.

You could enlarge the air hole in the cap quite easily - it's mostly brass and a drill bit used by hand would ream it nicely, as would a conical file - but that would be a permanent mod which you may or may not like in the long run and it's still a fixed air flow (so no possibility to adjust the air flow to taste for different builds or juices). It would, however, be the path of least resistance if cost or effort are your chief drivers.

Most likely, an atty with afc (specifically, one that allows much more air than the stock RM2 does while providing the air adjustment you have with the subtank) would float your boat in terms of clouds. There are many of these beasts around - Rob has about 6 models on his site (RM's 4 though 9). The extra air also serves to cool the vape.

To dial in flavour, the general consensus is that smaller chambers are better for this than larger ones, so something in the 14-18mm range would be the safest bet.

Given all this, the Origen 16 or Nuppin' (if you can find one) are well rounded for your criteria. The RM8/Derringer and Stumpy will deliver all the clouds you want with a slight relative sacrifice in flavour (IME), but a tad cooler (again, IME).

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    As noted - you're on a "tight draw" atty - and it sounds like it's time to do some exploring!
    There are PLENTY of options - try one (Derringer clone RM8 not a bad idea) and tell us what's good and bad, and you'll get steered towards another one to try!

I love my Nuppins, and Cyclone with Airflow Control was my first airier vape - but I also have gotten and love bottom-feed converted Rogue and Manta.

(Haven't pulled the trigger on an O16...yet)

Spydro

Sindoyen
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2013
    nowhither
    What's the airflow like in the o 16 compared to a manta...anyone used both?

I have multiples of both. And I have very close to the same coil builds in all of them. I know you know Sloth, but for those that don't... their AFC's are different stokes by design. The top air Manta V2 gives you the option of 1, 2 or 3 same size air intake holes for each coil; while the side air O-16 gives you the option of 1 small, medium or large air intake hole for each coil.

:2c: For those that MTL the Manta with just one air hole open per coil will still be quite "airy" compared to the O-16 using either it's small or medium size hole. The O-16's largest is about the same size as the holes in the Manta. Even so with one open in the Manta it is a tighter draw than one large one open in the O-16. The difference's MTL and draw by design.
    They both give me all the air I could ever need for my LDLH's, but I get more flavor rich clouds of vapor from the O-16's smaller chamber.

In between them is Papa B's RM4. Mine is an Atomic (same as RM4), and I like it better than the Manta Hybrids.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    I have multiples of both. And I have very close to the same coil builds in all of them. I know you know Sloth, but for those that don't... their AFC's are different stokes by design. The top air Manta V2 gives you the option of 1, 2 or 3 same size air intake holes for each coil; while the side air O-16 gives you the option of 1 small, medium or large air intake hole for each coil.

:2c: For those that MTL the Manta with just one air hole open per coil will still be quite "airy" compared to the O-16 using either it's small or medium size hole. The O-16's largest is about the same size as the holes in the Manta. Even so with one open in the Manta it is a tighter draw than one large one open in the O-16. The difference's MTL and draw by design.
    They both give me all the air I could ever need for my LDLH's, but I get more flavor rich clouds of vapor from the O-16's smaller chamber.

In between them is Papa B's RM4. Mine is an Atomic (same as RM4), and I like it better than the Manta Hybrids.
    So if I'm reading you right, your saying that wide open o 16 is just a tad more airy or at least as airy as the manta? I may decide to give one a shot.

Reactions: Spydro

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2013
    Gabriola Island, Canada
    So if I'm reading you right, your saying that wide open o 16 is just a tad more airy or at least as airy as the manta? I may decide to give one a shot.

They are comparable. The O-16 is not really a leaker, either, although not as leakproof as the Manta.

zero7starz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 10, 2009
    Well, I had my friend at the Vape shop drill my RM2 air hole out one step up. It is already a LOT better. Haven't puffed on my reo this much since my big fiasco in September. I've really forgotten how wonderful the reo is. Still easy to put together, light, endless juice, and great flavor.

Definitely on the right track now.

I'd love to get an O-16 but I can't afford to blow over $100 on more Vape gear right after Christmas.

The airflow right now is good. Since I have an extra cap I think I'll try taking that one a step above where I'm at and see if I like that more or less than the step I'm on right now.

But I think my next step might be to make a different type of coil. I usually make a twisted 28g coil on a kayfun screwdriver at about 8 wraps which is about .8ohms. I'm thinking of taking it down to .5ohms. So less wraps maybe.

Now remind me, because I'm a little rusty, what would the benefit of a larger diameter coil be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread