New FDA regulations and effect on DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
The only thing the grandfather date grants a product, as I understand it, is exemption from the PMTA process.

Zeller can still put new regulations on the grandfathered stuff as his sense of warm&fuzzy dictates.

He can't ban it outright, or require it contain no nicotine (at least it's that way with cigarettes), but he can put regulations on who can buy it, and package sizes and strengths.

Reactions: Yiana

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Maybe the FDA has redefined the term "grandfathered" too?

This article does a Pretty Good job of explaining the pathways a "Tobacco Product" can take to be sold.

There are two main premarket pathways set forth in the Tobacco Control Act—the Substantial Equivalence (SE) Report and the Premarket Tobacco Product Application (PMTA). The less burdensome of the two is the SE Report, which requires demonstrating that a new product is “substantially equivalent” to a product that was on the market as of the Feb. 15, 2007, Grandfather Date. The SE standard requires showing that any characteristics of the new product that are not identical to the grandfathered predicate product do not raise “different questions of public health.” Because it does not appear that any e-vapor products were on the market on Feb. 15, 2007, and therefore no “predicate” products are available for comparison purposes, submitting an SE Report for a new e-vapor products is not an option.

The Grandfather Date – What are FDA’s Alternatives? | VAPE Magazine

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Welp, I'm pulling the trigger on 10 liters this week. That plus what I have on hand will cover myself and 3 others for quite some time. I'm having a hard time finding a good deal on 1 liter amber glass bottles. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Poly seal caps will be needed if they aren't on the bottles already. I do have poly caps for my 120ml bottles though. Are the 1L bottles the same diameter? I would assume no?

I'm not going to break down into small 120ml ones with that much on hand. I can break down liters 1 at a time down the road as I need them.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Welp, I'm pulling the trigger on 10 liters this week. That plus what I have on hand will cover myself and 3 others for quite some time. I'm having a hard time finding a good deal on 1 liter amber glass bottles. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Poly seal caps will be needed if they aren't on the bottles already. I do have poly caps for my 120ml bottles though. Are the 1L bottles the same diameter? I would assume no?

I'm not going to break down into small 120ml ones with that much on hand. I can break down liters 1 at a time down the road as I need them.

Shipping is not cheap but the bottles are not bad so it evens out here Boston Rounds | Storage Glass Bottles | Specialty Bottle

Scratch that one and go here bottles are very inexpensive shipping went up since i bought though 32 oz Amber Boston Round Bottles/ Growlettes/ Quart Kombucha Growlers

Here are the poly caps 33/400 CT Black Ribbed PolyCone Lined Phenolic Cap

ETA- Filmore went way up on shipping since I bought but, there are two in stock options to try. May be best to get bottles from specialty and caps from filmore. Not sure.

Last edited:

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY

Try looking for 32 ounce size instead of 1 liter.

[use rossum's link, GBO has good stuff and it's cheaper]

Also, when you transfer to 120ml, this might help :

Amazon.com: San Jamar P7510 6 Piece Ultra Pump and Pump Kit: Industrial & Scientific

and can be cleaned a repurposed for dispensing VG for mixing later.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
When I first found and started buying from Filmore, their shipping was $5 :shock: I started posting the link around vaping forums and their shipping went sky high. Betting that their bottle business picked up quite a bit. :laugh:

Considering the chunk of change I'm about to drop on 10 liters...paying $15 shipping feels like winning the lottery.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Considering the chunk of change I'm about to drop on 10 liters...paying $15 shipping feels like winning the lottery.

I hear you. They didn't have the size that I needed there (16 oz) recently so I bought mine from Specialty. I paid $22.00 in shipping and felt like I got a deal.

Reactions: Slots

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Not say'n that getting 10L if Nicotine Base is a bad thing.

But have you used the Nicotine Base recently from the company you are going to buy from?

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Not say'n that getting 10L if Nicotine Base is a bad thing.

But have you used the Nicotine Base recently from the company you are going to buy from?

I'm ordering small bottles from MFS and NicRiver today. I've had Nicselect from ECX in the past and it was fine but I want to make sure it's still the same. I have MFS circa 2013 in the freezer and that is fine too. But I don't think they use the same now so I need to make sure their current stock is good enough.

I'm also ordering 2 liters of nude armor. I would like to order all nude armor but I need to win the lottery first. LOL. It's already going to cost $750 as is. But for 4 people covering 10-20 years it seems like a pretty good deal/investment.

I'm convinced properly stored nic will last indefinitely. The bottles I pull out now are nearly 3 years old and are just as good as the day I rebottled them. Perfect clean/clear. No noticeable change at all. Even if it slowly loses strength, a simple test kit will tell me what I'm working with.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm ordering small bottles from MFS and NicRiver today. I've had Nicselect from ECX in the past and it was fine but I want to make sure it's still the same. I have MFS circa 2013 in the freezer and that is fine too. But I don't think they use the same now so I need to make sure their current stock is good enough.

I'm also ordering 2 liters of nude armor. I would like to order all nude armor but I need to win the lottery first. LOL. It's already going to cost $750 as is. But for 4 people covering 10-20 years it seems like a pretty good deal/investment.

I'm convinced properly stored nic will last indefinitely. The bottles I pull out now are nearly 3 years old and are just as good as the day I rebottled them. Perfect clean/clear. No noticeable change at all. Even if it slowly loses strength, a simple test kit will tell me what I'm working with.

Cool.

That 10L just caught my eye. And I would hate to see Anyone make such a Large Purchase who hasn't tried a vendors Nicotine Base recently.

BTW - As long as you are shopping. Pick up some Heat Shrink Bands to go over the Neck/Cap of the Bottles.

I'm not sure if they Do anything? But they are Cheap. And they Look Cool and add a Professional touch to things.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I emailed Bull City and asked some questions about online ordering. I know my State could take a dump on me but haven't heard anything yet. This was their reply and I appreciated the candor. They like us are unsure where this is all headed but will try to keep the machine rolling as long as possible.

If I can't get Hangsen anymore I will be mostly devastated...I really hate the roller coaster we're all riding together.

"Hey Bob,

This past month has been stressful for all of the vaping community. We will still have online shopping after the 8th, we are keeping a close eye on everything and there is a lot of information to go over. We are working hard on our end to make sure we are able to continue providing for the DIY community."

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
I hear you. They didn't have the size that I needed there (16 oz) recently so I bought mine from Specialty. I paid $22.00 in shipping and felt like I got a deal.
I had seen Packaging Options Direct recommended here and that's who I went through just now to pick up some "4 oz. Amber Glass Boston Round Bottles" and "20-400 Continuous Thread Lined Black Phenolic Closures" (ribbed caps with poly cone liner). They say their shipping is half off. I paid $12.76 to have 20 bottle and 20 caps shipped- that was the least expensive shipping option. Still, it appeared to me to be altogether less expensive than other places I checked.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I had seen Packaging Options Direct recommended here and that's who I went through just now to pick up some "4 oz. Amber Glass Boston Round Bottles" and "20-400 Continuous Thread Lined Black Phenolic Closures" (ribbed caps with poly cone liner). They say their shipping is half off. I paid $12.76 to have 20 bottle and 20 caps shipped- that was the least expensive shipping option. Still, it appeared to me to be altogether less expensive than other places I checked.

Well, darn. That would have saved me $14. I just compared the two. I will bookmark that one for sure. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Reactions: Vandal

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
That's who i have used for all my bottles.Shortly after your first order,you will get an email with a discount code for your next order,it's either 5 or 10% off,i can't remember.

dethnode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2011
arkansas
Question, if the grandfather date would essentially be meaningless to nicotine base that was on the market prior to the grandfather date, then why would we waste time supporting HR 2058.

My understanding is that all HR 2058 aims for is a more reasonable grandfather date.

My understanding, was that all products that were on the market prior to the 2007 grandfather date were exempt from having to file for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread