New hybrid atty instantly collapsed my spring.

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by MAlzado, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MAlzado

MAlzado Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

I just put a new 1.5 ohm "hybrid atty" in my Reo Mini (14500 high drain batt) , primed it, waited for a few minutes & hit the button.

Instantly my battery spring collapsed. I opened it and it smelled like burnt electricity. It appears to have caused a direct short. Now my Reo needs a repair. My mini is months old & has run many atties. Frankly, it (and my other two) has always been a little beast, never a problem with any of em... But the mini's dead now though.

Did I do something wrong? Has this problem been reported before?

(I also asked this same question in the atty seller's subforum. Not quite sure which is the correct one.)

2. mlinky

mlinky ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I haven't heard of it before, but it can happen with any atty. You should always check a new atty with a multimeter and look at the centerpost before you put it on the first time.

As long as it didn't melt your firing button and nothing is catching when you press it, you only need to replace the spring. You can order one from the REO site, or you can send it into Rob.

3. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

I doubt you did anything wrong....unless you over tightened it. This is a new atty and hasn't been widely tested on the REOs yet. We're testing one on a Grand. The few who have been using the hybrid atties have not reported a short yet. I'm sorry this happened to ya. Be sure to contact Rob about repair or replacement spring and button if you need one. :(

4. redeyedancer

redeyedancer Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

I would like to see the mod and the atomizer .I haven't had a chance to look at the new atomizers yet but this is not a good sign.

5. jaz

jaz Full Member

I've got a 1.5 hybrid atty going on my Grand & so far so good. Actually, it's great! The first one I tried I somehow killed. After the first hit it died & I tried it on both Grand & Mini. I feel for you! What causes the battery spring to collapse? I thought that was a safety precaution for batts. Can an atty do that?

6. tierrataz

tierrataz Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have been using a 2.0 ohm BF hybrid for almost 24 hours/6+mls of juice. The center pin on mine is quite high. I choose not to adjust because I have a Vmod coming (Vapage, same manu). I was not able to screw it in like most attys. Made contact and at most 1/8 turn more and I was golden.

So sorry this happened to you.

7. tierrataz

If you take the time to season well and then keep wet, these attys are awesome. A real game changer for bottom feeders with a catch well.

8. redeyedancer

redeyedancer Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Yes & atomizer can short a mod. A short is caused when the positive and negative make contact ether the mod or the atomizer

9. jaz

jaz Full Member

Really good to know! Thanks, Rob!!! I'll be more cautious in the future. I haven't used the 2.0 ohm hybrid yet. I'd be happy to send it to you to test out.

10. MAlzado

Thanks all. I notice the center pin does stick out much further than any other atty I've seen. I bought 5 hybrids & they all look the same. I just checked & the atty does fire on my Provari. ??? (1.5 meters at 1.8)

11. Rhapsodies Fire

Like this one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. MAlzado

Yes RF, like that one.

Update:
    I have 3 Reos. (1 grand & 2 minis) After it worked on the Provari I started playing. It fired on the other 2. Then, I stretched the collapsed spring back out on the fried one & screwed the same atty back in til it barely bottomed and now it does fire in that same mini. In fact... it's great.

I maybe should have mentioned that I have used a few 306 LR atties in the past that required some screwing in and out and in because of thread resistance/mismatch. There is some chance I altered the Reos threads a tiny bit? I don't think so, but it's possible. No other atty has done this though, 510 or 306. I sure am glad that spring is a great safety feature.

This could be operator error. I gotta go order some springs.
    Thanks all.
    Rob, PM me if you still want me to send it so you can see it.

13. tierrataz

I have an unconfirmed suspicion that these were designed for a specific feeder mod. I will know as soon as I get it. If you go to the "sneak peak" thread on these AG explains how to push the pin in.

Rocks on my Grand.....just sayin

14. washvap

washvap Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Looks like I'm not getting a hybrid. Not willing to risk one of my Reo's going out because of one. Sorry for what happened. I'm sure you'll get your REO back better than ever.

15. Mudflap

Mudflap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

For the folks that wanna try the Hybrid atty from COV and not short their mod:

I believe that both the BF (bottom feed) and standard versions can be used on Reos Mods.

16. kirst310

kirst310 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This just happened to me too. Brand new 1.5 BF atty and two seconds after pressing the button, smoke came out of the body of the Reo and then found the spring had collapsed. I just sent COV an email about what would cause it. UGH! Now I gotta order new springs.

Tried stretching the spring and then pressing the button again and there was an official spark.

17. proggieus

proggieus Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i have also cooked a spring with a the new Hybrid Atty from COV in my grand although my grand needs to go into the shop since it appears that the center pin is not quite centered in the connector and it cooked a spring with a dual coil carto as well.

Luckily my extra springs showed up the day before the Hybrids did.

i am just waiting for the next batch so i don't have to be without my grand

Has anybody else had a really hard time NOT flooding these Attys. If i use the normal sqonk method i end up with all kinds of juice in my mouth after the first 4 or five vapes.

it appears that the center pin on these will kinda of collapse (almost as if it is spring loaded)into the atty as you screw it on. i have been leaving it rather loose but i am going to try and tighten it down a little to see if this helps with the flooding. It might make it easier for the vacuum of the bottle to draw excess juice out of the Atty and less likely to just draw air back

18. Rhapsodies Fire

So...just wanted to let you guys know that we've been checking this out...just sent one of these atties to Rob so he can play with it and we're still testing another on our mods. We'll keep you posted if we find anything that is useful. In the meantime, when this happens, be sure to let Rob know via PM. Please include information in your PM like your email address used with your order so he knows who you are, when you bought your mod and what your setup is.

19. MXBNW

MXBNW ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for posing that Mudflap.

I did PM AG when I got mine and need to make sure I did not have a bum atty I did get mine to work on my grand but was not comfortable in doing it. It seamed to fit better on my Woodvil but stopped using it on my REO's. The set up for the HB atty just reminded me of a bad adapter set up.

The reply he posted was in response to my PM's to him. AG is a good guy and very helpful in giving me the info I needed on this atty.

I told Him I wold start a thread here in the REO fourm that explains how the atty is built and how it can be adjusted. I will do this over the weekend.

I will test out the non bottom feeder this weekend, the one I have dose not have the center pin that extends out like the bottom feeders. I will also post a few more photos so people can see what we are talking about.

20. unsure

unsure ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Not an issue on the Woodvil...tried one someone sent me and 100% difference from the one from COV...[​IMG]

: provari
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.