Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyB88

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Elgin, IL, USA
So, this has happened twice on two separate Grands, with two separate RM2s.
My spring collapsed. Now, obviously, my first guess would be a short.
But, both times it happened, I don't think there was a short.

They both happened during dry burns of my coils. After each collapse, I checked the resistance of both my coils, and they were fine (.7 for one and 1.4 for the other).

In fact, after replacing the spring each time it happened, I used the very same coil/RM2, making no changes to it, on the new spring, and everything was just fine.

The only reason I knew about the short the first time was I heard the battery rattle. And the second, I knew because the door was off and the battery just fell out.

So, my question is, could pushing the firing button down too hard and/or for too long while dry burning collapse the spring?

Also, I'm not even sure if they were full spring collapses. I don't know how far the spring is supposed to go down when you have a short, but it went down a little under halfway from its original position.
10gbp5y.jpg

And I now realize that I should have taken a picture of the collapsed spring with a new one to more easily show the difference in height. :facepalm:

Anyhoo, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Sounds like that might be it .... If it were a hard short that spring shrivels up to almost nothing and you would smell burnt electrical smell ..... At least thats my experience. I do dry burn now since starting micro coils but never had an issue so not sure. I would say 3-4 seconds is the longest I've ever held it "wide open"

mwdenko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
Ohio
I've yet to collapse a spring (knock on wood). But, I've noticed if I don't noalex the firing pin sometimes it causes the battery/pin connection to spark.

Could be part of it. I don't dry burn for too long. Just long enough to clean the coils and blow off the burnt juice. I blow some air over the coil while I do so. Also, I only fire it for about 4-5 seconds then I do it again.

Hope all works out for you.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
When you fire a new microcoil that has all wraps touching, current can short straight across the coils until the wire oxidizes a bit. Nichrome wire seems to be more prone to this than K1 or R41.

Fire a new, tight coil in short bursts only or fire on another mech mod without a hot spring. If you watch the coil closely on initial fire up, you can see the shorting work itself out.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
As I carefully observe the timeline, I can only surmise that the old springs have caught wind of what is afoot and have had their feelings terribly, terribly hurt. They are, in fact, lashing out in childish rage. Soon we will kick these impish springs to the curb and stand proud with Rob's new springs held high . . .. (trumpets . . . . angels . . . . :p).

yep . . .. bad batch

Last edited:

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
When you fire a new microcoil that has all wraps touching, current can short straight across the coils until the wire oxidizes a bit. Nichrome wire seems to be more prone to this than K1 or R41.

In my brief time (1 week) experimenting with Nichrome 60, I managed to melt two coils. Is this why?

I was carefully pulsing but this one melted almost immediately. Some say it was a bad batch of wire but then "some" blames a lot of things on bad batches.⇪ :rolleyes: ;)

IMAG0103-1.jpg

JonnyB88

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Elgin, IL, USA
Fire a new, tight coil in short bursts only or fire on another mech mod without a hot spring. If you watch the coil closely on initial fire up, you can see the shorting work itself out.

Well, the thing is, these were both old coils. Not old in the sense that they needed replacing, but I mean used for a couple of days. I tend to dry burn between wick replacements.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
In my brief time (1 week) experimenting with Nichrome 60, I managed to melt two coils. Is this why?

I was carefully pulsing but this one melted almost immediately. Some say it was a bad batch of wire but then "some" blames a lot of things on bad batches.⇪ :rolleyes: ;)

View attachment 259234
If you watch the micro coil video that Statistic made you can see it happen. I don't really think it was a bad batch of wire, it just happens now and then.

As far as this happening on a "seasoned" coil, I've had a couple short across when I was dry firing with a lot of gunk on and inside the coil. Kind of surprised me but what the heck, I prefer the taste of a new coil so wrap one up!

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
And so for dry burning coils we have the Silver bullet/Provari/Vamo - take your pick. And make sure you test them thoroughly before you attach them to your Reo.

I test my coils at least twice and fully assembled in the RM2 - it is easy to put a top cap on and for whatever reason, coil moves, you nudge it when fitting the cap etc.

T

drew_goring

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Alberta, CA
I dont see the spring dropping that easily a .4 ohm coil sure but not a .7 . I am starting to wonder if I dont have some bad springs

My spring did look the same after vaping a 0.6ohm coil for a day. Still beats analogs...the 4 bucks for a new spring I'd have smoked before lunch.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Simple physics

What happens if you work to hard...you will fall out too

Heat metal too much (called annealing) it gets soft

Current flow = heat, heat causes annealing, springy steel gets soft because you worked it to hard and it falls out

No audio so my example video..might contain bad words
ORIGINAL deadlift passout video 329 - YouTube

Either find thicker springs (larger gauge means it can handle more current without heating up), more conductive springs (copper coated)

Or you could even try to solder some solder wick on it to help it pull more current
IMG_0184.jpg

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread