New Joyetech 20watt eGrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Are you using the CLR coil? Have you re wicked or are you still using the cotton that came on it? You haven't has any issues with the silicone caps breaking?
I have the V1 eGrip and using CLR coils so have had to recoil it to get above the minimum 1.2Ω of that device (mine are 1.8Ω now). Have had no breakages bar the top o-ring of the CL base (there are two, very small ones). I haven't bothered replacing it and still no leakages. No weeps, no nothing.

Reactions: Dimplegirl

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
I have the V1 eGrip and using CLR coils so have had to recoil it to get above the minimum 1.2Ω of that device (mine are 1.8Ω now). Have had no breakages bar the top o-ring of the CL base (there are two, very small ones). I haven't bothered replacing it and still no leakages. No weeps, no nothing.
I've had 3 of the silicone caps that go on top of the CLR caps breaks in 3 weeks. I get an occasional leaks it looks like from around the base. I am using 2 v2 eGrips and it happens on both, very weird. I just changed the 2 smaller o-rings to see if that helps. People say the stock ones aren't as good as the replacement ones.

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
I've had 3 of the silicone caps that go on top of the CLR caps breaks in 3 weeks. I get an occasional leaks it looks like from around the base. I am using 2 v2 eGrips and it happens on both, very weird. I just changed the 2 smaller o-rings to see if that helps. People say the stock ones aren't as good as the replacement ones.
That's strange ... but before I broke the top o-ring on the CL base, it was tight screwing into the eGrip. Since it broke, the base screws in in a similar fashion to the original or RBA bases. That's why I didn't bother replacing it even though I have several spares.

I only finger tight the coil into the base (just enough so you can feel the positive pin seat) and only finger tight the cap on too. It doesn't need to be very tight. It is harder to feel the silicon cap seating though.

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
That's strange ... but before I broke the top o-ring on the CL base, it was tight screwing into the eGrip. Since it broke, the base screws in in a similar fashion to the original or RBA bases. That's why I didn't bother replacing it even though I have several spares.

I only finger tight the coil into the base (just enough so you can feel the positive pin seat) and only finger tight the cap on too. It doesn't need to be very tight. It is harder to feel the silicon cap seating though.
Yes, the CL bases screw on very tight. It does take some time to get that silicone cap to seat right. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: gt_1955

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Great thanks.I will go ahead and buy the CL base then.The egrip is a great little device, i find the RBA base is good for mini lung inhales but that's not what I'm after.
Even using my modified RBA base, I mouth-to-lung. Tried lung hits ... once :rolleyes: I'm afraid I'm from the wrong generation for those :lol:

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
@gt_1955 what type of cotton are you using?
At the moment, Koh Gen Do. But I also have some (like 300 years worth) of cotton I bought from a supermarket for $2 which have the fibres aligned in a similar manner to the Koh Gen Do. I personally can't tell the difference ... YMMV

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
At the moment, Koh Gen Do. But I also have some (like 300 years worth) of cotton I bought from a supermarket for $2 which have the fibres aligned in a similar manner to the Koh Gen Do. I personally can't tell the difference ... YMMV
I also use KGD :) Maybe it's the coils I got. I'm trying everything to figure out these tiny leaks I get. 1 guy told me he doesn't even use the silicone cap, I tried that and got leaks. I also tried not using 1 o-ring because it broke right out of the box but no luck. My RBA leaked way too much this is just little leaks. How often do you re wick?

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
I use DIY NET juices and I rewick every second day. My 1.8Ω has been in the head about 2 weeks (?) and I just dry burn it and rewick. The RBA leaks drove me crazy (er) but when I thought I wouldn't be able to buy the CL bases in Oz, I modified my RBA and now it doesn't leak per se (there is a slight weep ... just a discolouration ... after a day's use). I would have stuck with that if I wasn't able to buy the CL bases, I still carry it with me to work as a spare.

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
I also use KGD :) Maybe it's the coils I got. I'm trying everything to figure out these tiny leaks I get. 1 guy told me he doesn't even use the silicone cap, I tried that and got leaks. I also tried not using 1 o-ring because it broke right out of the box but no luck. My RBA leaked way too much this is just little leaks. How often do you re wick?
I think you'll get heaps of leaks if you didn't use the silicon cap ... that's how the base seals against the air tube. Try not screwing the cap of the atty on as tight as you are doing ...

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
I think you'll get heaps of leaks if you didn't use the silicon cap ... that's how the base seals against the air tube. Try not screwing the cap of the atty on as tight as you are doing ...
I will try that! Maybe I'll also try and rewick sooner than 4 days, maybe that could be causing the problem. It seems to happen around the 3rd day, usually.

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Well, there's 3 places it can leak.
1. The first is past the o-rings in the base, shouldn't occur if the o-ring/s aren't damaged;
2. If the silicon cap isn't sealing against the air tube, it'll leak;
3. Through the wick area when there isn't enough wick material.

I recoiled mine around a 2.5mm rod, and use just enough wick to fill the coil. I think the standard CLR are coiled around a 2mm rod?

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
Well, there's 3 places it can leak.
1. The first is past the o-rings in the base, shouldn't occur if the o-ring/s aren't damaged;
2. If the silicon cap isn't sealing against the air tube, it'll leak;
3. Through the wick area when there isn't enough wick material.

I recoiled mine around a 2.5mm rod, and use just enough wick to fill the coil. I think the standard CLR are coiled around a 2mm rod?
How close are you snipping the cotton against the side of the atty? Are you doing it as short as how they come pre-wrapped? I just put all new o-rings on last night and so far no leaks. I rewick tight but not too tight that I cant pull it back and forth.

I appreciate you taking the time to go over everything with me.

Reactions: gt_1955
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread