Non-smoker vaping : first post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trentoons

Mar 12, 2015
South Carolina
Hi everyone. I've used this forum to answer many questions I've had but this is my first actual post. I just wanted to get a little input from you guys. I'm 20 years old and up until I was 19 I'd always stay away from alcohol, drugs, smoking etc because I didn't want to get into all of that. I tried to stay around the right people in high school and even with a lot of kids smoking and drinking I was always completely against it. At 19 I decided that I can do this stuff without being like everyone else. I won't become an alcoholic and I won't become addicted to any harmful drugs because I have self control and I refuse to let that happen to me. I've had beer once in my life and I've tried a few cigars on occasion and I'm always very personal about it. Meaning I don't brag or tell anyone about this stuff because it's my business. Anyways what I'm getting to is that about a year ago I decided I wanted to try vaping. I wanted a nice way to unwind and relax at the end of the day,especially after work . I bought a cheap 510 kit at a gas station and it wasn't a vv. It came with 18mg and I hated it. Then I got an ego twist I worked my way down to 15,11,10, 6 and now with my rda I use 3mg. I use a 50w istick, kanger Sub-tank mini, trident v2 clone and occasionally my stingray clone. I never vape higher than 0 or 3mg and I stick to between .5 and . 8 ohms. I've come to love vaping. I love building my own coils, I love the flavors, the hardware, the conversations with other vapers about everything we're doing with our devices. Though I was never a smoker, I find this to be a great way to relax and it really does make me happy. I never wanted to do this to look cool or fit in with anyone. It's just a fun hobby and I'm so glad there are many people here who have finally kicked smoking out of their lives. I just have my own different reasons for doing it. So it's great to be here and I'd just like to know what you guys think. Have an awesome day

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
Beats smoking, dude! You are not a minor and thus it is your right to vape (for now at least). Some may say it's dumb to pick up nicotine if you aren't using it to quit smoking, but there are much worse drugs than nicotine. I'm a believer in the good of nicotine knowing that anti smoker hype about it is mostly lies.

In short, you are old enough to make this decision and shouldn't need to worry what others think. Welcome to the forum by the way, hope ya like it here. I know I do.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
You are perfectly right to do what you are doing. A lot of opinions out there that are against it. Mostly because they don't understand. No nicotine though, it is very addictive. Some might say that it is okay because their are much more dangerous drugs, but it is still a drug.

At the end of the day I like to sit on the porch or in front of the TV and "drip". Drippers (RDA), for me, are not as good when I am out running around. Then I use a tank system (RTA).

Good luck and happy vaping!

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
You are perfectly right to do what you are doing. A lot of opinions out there that are against it. Mostly because they don't understand. No nicotine though, it is very addictive. Some might say that it is okay because their are much more dangerous drugs, but it is still a drug.

At the end of the day I like to sit on the porch or in front of the TV and "drip". Drippers (RDA), for me, are not as good when I am out running around. Then I use a tank system (RTA).

If you like dripping as much as I do, you would love a REO in lieu of any tank.

Reactions: Robert Dean

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Miata, I have thought about a Reo many times. I switch tanks about every three hours. Yes, I have a bunch of tanks running at once and my RDAs get rewicked quite a bit. But, for a Reo, I would be changing bottles and still replacing wicks.

It is a big style change. And costly to change over. I'm happy and I hope Reo people are, too.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Welcome to ECF. :thumbs:

I began vaping to stop smoking. I was successful, as I am 3 years smoke/tobacco free.

My 18 year old non-smoking daughter wanted to start vaping with her own setup for her birthday. She reasoned that all of her friends smoked, and while hanging out as most people that age do, they smoked. Her mother and older brother also smoked. She did not want to start smoking, but the peer pressure to start was high. She wanted to vape no nicotine flavors, much as you do.

Being that was the age that I began smoking, mainly because of peer pressure, I thought she presented a logical and reasonable arguement. I gave her her first mod for her 18th birthday.

So, one year later she is a recreational vaper, using no nic flavors. Her boyfriend, also a smoker, is now vaping an APV that she gave him last Christmas.

My son (the smoker) didn't want to try vaping, even when I offered to give him one of the setups that I have. Once he saw that his sister and her BF were vaping, he agreed to use one (funny how that works). He still smokes occassionally, but I think he is mainly vaping now.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
If I had a teenager that was being tempted to smoke, I would give them a vape kit in a heartbeat!!

To the OP - more power to you. It sounds like you have your head on straight. I won't even offer any advice, because it sounds like you don't need it.

I do wonder why you're apparently seeking confirmation a year after you started vaping - are you experiencing health issues, or maybe you've read something that concerns you?

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Much like Baditude above, I have a 20 year old son who is a non-smoker, though he did go to hooka bars on occasion. The first few sentences of the OP's post had me wondering if my son had singed up for ECF, sounds a lot like him. He is a very responsible man (really want to say kid, but he isn't) and has watched me vape for the last couple years. A few months ago he wanted to try mine out and he ended up liking it, he ordered his own DNA30 and Sub Tank Nano shortly after. He started out with 0mg, having no ties to nic, but through the process of tasting some of the flavors I would get with 3mg he found it enhanced the experience and started ordering his with 3mg.

I have no problem with him vaping, or using nicotine. He is no where near as involved in the hobby side like I am, he is content to just fill up his STn and vape it when the urge arises. A 30ml bottle will last him weeks....lol.....I miss those days myself. My 17 year old son asked if he could do it as well, and while I strongly believe vaping (responsibly) if pretty harmless, the answer was no. I told him when he turns 18 he can make the decision for himself, but it isn't going to happen until then. For the record, I feel drinking alcohol responsibly is pretty harmless as well, but I still wouldn't condone it before he is 21.

Reactions: Trentoons

Trentoons

Mar 12, 2015
South Carolina
If I had a teenager that was being tempted to smoke, I would give them a vape kit in a heartbeat!!

To the OP - more power to you. It sounds like you have your head on straight. I won't even offer any advice, because it sounds like you don't need it.

I do wonder why you're apparently seeking confirmation a year after you started vaping - are you experiencing health issues, or maybe you've read something that concerns you?
No health issues at all and I really do enjoy it. I just feel like a minority within the vaping community and wanted to see what people thought of my reasons. Thanks alot for the kind words

Trentoons

Mar 12, 2015
South Carolina
Much like Baditude above, I have a 20 year old son who is a non-smoker, though he did go to hooka bars on occasion. The first few sentences of the OP's post had me wondering if my son had singed up for ECF, sounds a lot like him. He is a very responsible man (really want to say kid, but he isn't) and has watched me vape for the last couple years. A few months ago he wanted to try mine out and he ended up liking it, he ordered his own DNA30 and Sub Tank Nano shortly after. He started out with 0mg, having no ties to nic, but through the process of tasting some of the flavors I would get with 3mg he found it enhanced the experience and started ordering his with 3mg.

I have no problem with him vaping, or using nicotine. He is no where near as involved in the hobby side like I am, he is content to just fill up his STn and vape it when the urge arises. A 30ml bottle will last him weeks....lol.....I miss those days myself. My 17 year old son asked if he could do it as well, and while I strongly believe vaping (responsibly) if pretty harmless, the answer was no. I told him when he turns 18 he can make the decision for himself, but it isn't going to happen until then. For the record, I feel drinking alcohol responsibly is pretty harmless as well, but I still wouldn't condone it before he is 21.
Glad to see you're a responsible parent and you seem to have a great son. Thanks alot for the input

Trentoons

Mar 12, 2015
South Carolina
Welcome to ECF. :thumbs:

I began vaping to stop smoking. I was successful, as I am 3 years smoke/tobacco free.

My 18 year old non-smoking daughter wanted to start vaping with her own setup for her birthday. She reasoned that all of her friends smoked, and while hanging out as most people that age do, they smoked. Her mother and older brother also smoked. She did not want to start smoking, but the peer pressure to start was high. She wanted to vape no nicotine flavors, much as you do.

Being that was the age that I began smoking, mainly because of peer pressure, I thought she presented a logical and reasonable arguement. I gave her her first mod for her 18th birthday.

So, one year later she is a recreational vaper, using no nic flavors. Her boyfriend, also a smoker, is now vaping an APV that she gave him last Christmas.

My son (the smoker) didn't want to try vaping, even when I offered to give him one of the setups that I have. Once he saw that his sister and her BF were vaping, he agreed to use one (funny how that works). He still smokes occassionally, but I think he is mainly vaping now.
I'm really glad he could stop smoking thanks to you through your daughter. That's some awesome stuff

Trentoons

Mar 12, 2015
South Carolina
I started smoking at 13. I would love to go back in time and slap the cigarette out of my face, then add another slap for good measure.

OP, why intentionally addict yourself?
Many people intentionally addict themselves to cigarettes among other harsher things. I'm also addicted to caffeine but so are millions of others. It's kind of like a trade off. Slight addiction for relaxation at the end of the day. I may not even be addicted because I've cut myself off for a month at a time with no withdrawals and I just pick it back up because it's calming and it's something I love to do. Thanks for your reply though. I do appreciate it

Reactions: Cacique

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL

I started smoking at 13. I would love to go back in time and slap the cigarette out of my face, then add another slap for good measure.

OP, why intentionally addict yourself?

I'm pretty sure it's been proven that it's cigarettes that are addictive, not the nicotine itself.

Reactions: Trentoons

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
Hi everyone. I've used this forum to answer many questions I've had but this is my first actual post. I just wanted to get a little input from you guys. I'm 20 years old and up until I was 19 I'd always stay away from alcohol, drugs, smoking etc because I didn't want to get into all of that. I tried to stay around the right people in high school and even with a lot of kids smoking and drinking I was always completely against it. At 19 I decided that I can do this stuff without being like everyone else. I won't become an alcoholic and I won't become addicted to any harmful drugs because I have self control and I refuse to let that happen to me. I've had beer once in my life and I've tried a few cigars on occasion and I'm always very personal about it. Meaning I don't brag or tell anyone about this stuff because it's my business. Anyways what I'm getting to is that about a year ago I decided I wanted to try vaping. I wanted a nice way to unwind and relax at the end of the day,especially after work . I bought a cheap 510 kit at a gas station and it wasn't a vv. It came with 18mg and I hated it. Then I got an ego twist I worked my way down to 15,11,10, 6 and now with my rda I use 3mg. I use a 50w istick, kanger Sub-Tank mini, trident v2 clone and occasionally my stingray clone. I never vape higher than 0 or 3mg and I stick to between .5 and . 8 ohms. I've come to love vaping. I love building my own coils, I love the flavors, the hardware, the conversations with other vapers about everything we're doing with our devices. Though I was never a smoker, I find this to be a great way to relax and it really does make me happy. I never wanted to do this to look cool or fit in with anyone. It's just a fun hobby and I'm so glad there are many people here who have finally kicked smoking out of their lives. I just have my own different reasons for doing it. So it's great to be here and I'd just like to know what you guys think. Have an awesome day

I'm glad you enjoy vaping. However, bear in mind that the majority of vapers are former smokers, many smoked for decades, and as such, they are willing to accept the risks of vaping over continuing to smoke. For them, vaping isn't so much 'fun' as it is a necessary evil. Vaping as a hobby, like most hobbies, is not risk-free. We don't know the effects of constant nicotine immersion from extended vaping sessions, since it's not 'smoker' behavior, or the long-term effects of inhaling flavor molecules. Use of nicotine will increase the number of nicotine receptors in your system and receptors like to be fed, meaning cravings, which may manifest in other ways, since vaping reinforces and builds a hand-to-mouth compulsion. Nicotine has been implicated in cross-talk between nAChR and EGFR in aggressive breast cancer growth so that's also a consideration if you have breast cancer history in your family or have had a breast biopsy of any kind (one of the main reasons I quit smoking and now vape zero). Enjoy, and have fun, but go in with eyes wide open and don't forget to read the "proceed at your own risk" sign over the door.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread