Non-smokers who vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
WHAT!? Kids are still smoking despite all the protective regulations to keep them away from tobacco!!! Oh my, IC, that means the ANTZ should regulate ecigs even more than tobacco.... right? Yeh, probably exactly what they'll try to do..... they're sooooooo logical! Let's keep em away from tutti fruiti flavor and send them over to the tobacco smoke that's far easier to get. As for vaping when you've never smoked... minus the under 18... whatever turns ya on. If it keeps you from trying smoke, by all means vape instead.:vapor: But... know this.... you will be demonized and stigmatized more than if you used some other (unmentionable here) products. At least one of those is becoming more socially and otherwise acceptable these days. Just more sound rationale.

Last edited:

Lexx

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
United Kingdom
I've quit smoking a bunch of times. I'm really good at it :)

Usually I go cold turkey but this time I bought s cig-alike....now I have all these wonderful toys and vape waaaay more than I ever smoked.
I love vaping :)

My wife never smoked but she has a mini protank2 filled with 0% hot chocolate flavour juice which I mixed for her. When she gets a chocolate craving but is watching her calories she vapes a little. Says it really helps to have the taste.

So there's one lifelong non-smoker who vapes :)

Robdob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Colorado, via NH
I'm wondering if we should regulate coffee, it's got caffeine and it's addictive. I think they tried liquor already, but isn't Near Beer a gateway to alcoholism? Every thing you eat or drink can be harmful to some extent, what is wrong with people being moderate with vaping? Whether it's used by smokers trying to quit or just to look cool, let people be! People buy certain kinds of shoes to look cool, then wind up ruining their feet. Gggggrrrrrrrrrr.:facepalm:

Gogata

Moved On
Mar 5, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Deleted by retired1

Razorback

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Conway, Arkansas
In my 30 years, I've been through maybe a handful of packs, and spent a couple years exploring hookahs.

As much as I like the nic buzz, smoking tobacco makes me sick. Literally. The last few times I smoked tobacco I actually vomited.

I've spent my life thus far dealing with untreated ADD. As a result, I've always found stimulants to help me focus (thus the caffeine machine aka Mr. Coffee at my work desk).

I enjoyed the act of smoking, but since I literally couldn't smoke cigs, I started smoking... herbs... to calm my nerves when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer. This ended up being a way worse habit, for many reasons obviously, but nevertheless it had the added benefit of edging out my anxiety and depression.

Fast forward 12 years, and I started making big changes in life. I broke my addiction to junk foods, and dedicated myself to eating healthy and staying active. Lost a bunch of weight, dropped from 260 to 175. Kicked a bunch of bad habits and have been forcing myself to stay committed. The last bad habit to kick was smoking. I was up to about a quarter a week. Impossible.

So I tried out vaping with an eGo and an iClear 16. And I liked it. A lot.

It instantly replaced my pipes, being right at the desk and ready to fire as soon as my phone would start ringing and my anxiety would spike (usually a stupid question on the other end of the calls we get), or I'd be stressed out working on a client's terrible custom-coded ERP software, or any other myriad of stress-inducers that would normally have me reaching for some smoke.

If not for the chemical buzz, simply because I really enjoy smoking.

Wrapping it up, that is why I, a "non-smoker", became a vaper.

So Dave, how did you drop all the weight? ... Very curious as I am starting this journey myself!

Rsin

Mar 17, 2014
PA
Guess this is a good thread for me to post for the first time. I smoked cigs for about 13 years. My mother then had cancer and passed away so I made it a goal to quit. Did so cold turkey. That was 7 years ago. I recently learned of liquid that contained no nicotine, so I set out to find a ecig and some non nicotine liquid so I could have that feeling back again of smoking to calm me, curb my sweet addition that took smokings place, and I just really enjoyed the act of smoking.

2 weeks in and I love it. Some may say its stupid and whats the point vaping non nicotine. But it taste good, gives me the calming feeling that cigs used to, and as far as I know its not that harmful vaping zero nic, and I am not getting addicted to anything. Until I see some reason that this is harmful to me, I am going to keep vaping zero nic cause I enjoy it.

grenadetoast

Mar 17, 2014
NJ, USA
Hello E-cigarette Forum, newbie to the site and semi-newbie to vaping. First post and I have a pretty serious question.

Many say that vaping has saved their life by helping them quit cigarettes, but it seems as though many new vapers were never smokers to begin with. If you never smoked, why bother picking up vaping? It can become a bad habit and is not necessarily healthier than not vaping at all. I personally never smoked cigarettes. Tried em a few times but hated em. Considering such, I try to vape as little as possible because, as stated, it can become a habit. I vape mainly for my ADHD/ADD and also use it as a relaxant from my highly active lifestyle. When I cannot seems to care about anything, the nicotine can stimulate my mind a little and it also helps to relax after a long day.

What are the reasons you vape other than to quit smoking? Do you use just recreationally, or does it do something for you in a healthier way than taking something else?

I do it to avoid smoking and as a relaxant. I never smoked, and I don't intend on doing so. I do it so I can hang around smoking friends and resist the urge to smoke. It has helped one of smoking friends start the process of quitting. Because I use no nicotine juice I don't see a problem with it. I really only do it after a long day to take my mind off of whatever it is that bothered me that day.

TheAmazingDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
San Jose, California, United States
So Dave, how did you drop all the weight? ... Very curious as I am starting this journey myself!

Commitment and dedication.

The big kick in the pants is when the registration expired on my car, and I had to start cycling daily to get to work and get around. I was so out of shape and heavy that it was very tough, but just adding exercise to my routine had me losing 20 pounds in about 2 months.

No joke. Just cycling 3-5 miles a day was the kickstart I needed.

Started counting calories, gave up all beverages besides water, and replaced calorie-dense foods with more fruits and vegetables. Low carb dieting IS NOT the answer. The bottom line is calories in vs. calories out.

I maintained this for a while, and in the first year, I went from 260 to 195. I "hit the wall" there, though, and when I met my girlfriend, I went a bit lax, and ended putting a small chunk back on.

Summertime last year, I was back around 220. Not acceptable. I was able to drive again, and was getting really bored with cycling alone, so I took up walking. I bought a pair of Vibram FiveFingers, and would routinely walk 5-10 miles every other day, and started counting calories again. That got me back down to 200, but I really wanted to hit my set goal of 175. At the rate I was going, it would have taken another 6 months or so. As you get lighter, it's harder to burn calories in mass.

I picked up a gym membership to start using their fancy elliptical machines. Murder on the knees, so I added glucosamine to my vitamin regimen. I worked myself up to burning 800-1k calories a day, and limited my intake to around 900 calories a day, essentially forcing my body to run on fat stores as opposed to consumed calories. This did the trick, burned off the last 25 pounds in about a month, month-and-a-half.

Now my metabolism is working properly, and I don't feel the need to eat often. If I do end up endulging on one given day, I will go through more than half of the next day without hunger. I'm not watching calories anymore, so to speak, but am listening to my body instead, something we forget to do today with our foods laced with sugars and chemicals.

I avoid boxed/processed foods, sticking to natural foods as much as possible. That doesn't stop me from having the occasional burger or stack of pancakes at Denny's though.

One thing to consider, most sudden hunger pangs are typically dehydration. Have a tall glass of water, and give it 15 minutes. It will likely subside. If not, have a light snack. I like a Fuji apple and a couple of mandarins.

Feel free to PM me for any advice.

You can do it! :)

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
Here's my question:

So it seems like the real questions around the health factors involved with e-cigs are shifting to the flavorings. While the massive doeses of VG/PG seem, at first glance, to be a non-issue, the flavorings are the new object of scrutiny. Couple this with the identification of a new belief that nicotene has been largly villianized unfairly due simply to it's association to cigarrettes and it changes a lot for me.

I agree that any addiction to anything is a bad thing as the definition itself describes obesseion to the point of unhealthy distraction or control and that's primarity driving this "only if it's 0 nic juice. But this limitation now seems totally counter-intuitive to me.

In light of the discoveries of the actual BENEFITS of nicotene and the possibility that the most potentially dangerous components are to be found in flavorings, shouldn't the disclaimer be "only flavorless nic juice?"

iota

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2014
In transit
I am new to vaping (and brand new here!), but I have always been a very light smoker. When I learned about vaping I thought that maybe it would be something that could replace the one or two cigs I have most days - usually in the car. I am not sure what vaping will replace or where it will take me, but I am hopeful that, at the least, it will be an enjoyable and harmless thing for me.

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Guess this is a good thread for me to post for the first time. I smoked cigs for about 13 years. My mother then had cancer and passed away so I made it a goal to quit. Did so cold turkey. That was 7 years ago. I recently learned of liquid that contained no nicotine, so I set out to find a ecig and some non nicotine liquid so I could have that feeling back again of smoking to calm me, curb my sweet addition that took smokings place, and I just really enjoyed the act of smoking.

2 weeks in and I love it. Some may say its stupid and whats the point vaping non nicotine. But it taste good, gives me the calming feeling that cigs used to, and as far as I know its not that harmful vaping zero nic, and I am not getting addicted to anything. Until I see some reason that this is harmful to me, I am going to keep vaping zero nic cause I enjoy it.

That exactly the end goal for me. Eventually cut down to zero nic but continue to vape all these flavors.

BTW, Welcome to ECF! :toast:

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hillsboro, OR
I guess I can consider myself a non-smoker. Before I picked up vaping, I only smoked 1 cig every few days, maybe a few more if a buddy of mine offered. I've always enjoyed smoking, I just knew that my budget couldn't afford buying a pack more often than a few days apart (broke college student here).

I was big into hookahs though, a bunch of my buddies have one and they'd invite me over to smoke that. But again, the cost of getting a decent hookah, plus having to buy all the hoses, coals, etc, plus having a whole hookah to myself if I was alone and wanted to smoke was a bit overwhelming so I never bought one.

When I was introduced to vaping, it was a no-brainer. $40 to start (MVP2), plus $12 juices that last me like 2 weeks each - cost was there. If I was alone and only wanted a quick pull, or if I wanted to chain vape for hours - vaping allows me to do that. Plus it tastes great and doesn't leave an unpleasant smell on me. IMO, its the best of all smoking experiences with the downsides of none of them.

JohnDaddyo

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
Tampa Bay
Maybe it's just me but, when I was using nicotine juices, I felt I was only trying to fool myself. I mean I was still going for the nic. Not as bad as really doesn't hold up, ya know? Anyway, I vape zero and only have to worry about what's in this stuff now!
What is the substance people put in hookahs? Herbs, tobacco??

VapoKev

Mar 18, 2014
Illinois, USA
I've never been a smoker. But I like the effect of nicotine. Chewing gum is boring and makes me belch. I decided to give vaping a try. Still new to it, but I enjoy both the act of vaping and the effect of the nicotine. I suppose there's no good justification for adding another potentially addictive substance to my intake, but it's not the worst thing I put in my body. The worst things are prescribed by a doctor.

Just to clear up any misconceptions about this thread, I fully support vaping over smoking anything else and fully understand the health benefits and drawbacks it has (I'll start another thread one day with scientific studies done by renowned institutes and scientists in the future). I just want to ask what the motives behind people that take up vaping are that never smoked because many people, especially younger ppl, start vaping to look cool and it's starting to become a trend with people that, bear with me, might not need it as much as they use it :ohmy:. I'm not completely against their choice to vape for fun, I just think it's not for everyone and shouldn't be abused so that the negative attention that vaping often receives starts to die down a lot quicker.

I believe that the world needs more fun! Everyone is so stressed and stung out. If vaping helps smooth everyone out, then I hope everyone starts. (Vaping not smoking) Spent this last weekend playing board games with hubby. It was nice. I am not sure when coloring, finger painting, ect became something adults don't do, but I am against that as well. Kicking back, relaxing, and having fun. Thanks to BT and the ridiculous amount of money spent on advertising, isn't that how they attracted the 'young people' in the first place?

Last edited:

Razorback

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Conway, Arkansas
Commitment and dedication.

The big kick in the pants is when the registration expired on my car, and I had to start cycling daily to get to work and get around. I was so out of shape and heavy that it was very tough, but just adding exercise to my routine had me losing 20 pounds in about 2 months.

No joke. Just cycling 3-5 miles a day was the kickstart I needed.

Started counting calories, gave up all beverages besides water, and replaced calorie-dense foods with more fruits and vegetables. Low carb dieting IS NOT the answer. The bottom line is calories in vs. calories out.

I maintained this for a while, and in the first year, I went from 260 to 195. I "hit the wall" there, though, and when I met my girlfriend, I went a bit lax, and ended putting a small chunk back on.

Summertime last year, I was back around 220. Not acceptable. I was able to drive again, and was getting really bored with cycling alone, so I took up walking. I bought a pair of Vibram FiveFingers, and would routinely walk 5-10 miles every other day, and started counting calories again. That got me back down to 200, but I really wanted to hit my set goal of 175. At the rate I was going, it would have taken another 6 months or so. As you get lighter, it's harder to burn calories in mass.

I picked up a gym membership to start using their fancy elliptical machines. Murder on the knees, so I added glucosamine to my vitamin regimen. I worked myself up to burning 800-1k calories a day, and limited my intake to around 900 calories a day, essentially forcing my body to run on fat stores as opposed to consumed calories. This did the trick, burned off the last 25 pounds in about a month, month-and-a-half.

Now my metabolism is working properly, and I don't feel the need to eat often. If I do end up endulging on one given day, I will go through more than half of the next day without hunger. I'm not watching calories anymore, so to speak, but am listening to my body instead, something we forget to do today with our foods laced with sugars and chemicals.

I avoid boxed/processed foods, sticking to natural foods as much as possible. That doesn't stop me from having the occasional burger or stack of pancakes at Denny's though.

One thing to consider, most sudden hunger pangs are typically dehydration. Have a tall glass of water, and give it 15 minutes. It will likely subside. If not, have a light snack. I like a Fuji apple and a couple of mandarins.

Feel free to PM me for any advice.

You can do it! :)

First off, thanks very much for the comprehensive response. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

The biggest take away for me is I need to lay off the junk food and soda. Drinking a lot of water is key, as well as additional walking. I'm currently at 232 lbs, but at 6' 2" it's not too bad, although it could be positioned a lot better... :)

I have started weight lifting/training 3 days per week on a progressive beginners program where I add additional weight each workout until I max out. Then I'll use that weight for a couple weeks until I progress my repetitions to the next level. They're all compound lifts like squat, bench, and dead-lift, etc..

Walking is what I need to add more of now. I am currently doing about a mile per day (4x per week), and I'll progress that each week until I hit 3 miles per day, then I think I'll leave it at that distance and work on getting in 3 miles at a quicker pace.

Thanks again, and I hope more folks read your post and get some inspiration the way I did.

Regards! :toast:

Non-smokers pick up vaping for a number of different reasons.. reduce stress levels, reduce eating habits, because it's cool.. ;)

Some people get worried because they see e-cigs as a 'gateway' into smoking analogs. Just like weed would be a 'gateway' to harder drugs.

Providing they're vaping 0mg juice then personally, I really don't see a problem with it.

Just a personal observation, not aimed at anyone in particular.

The gateway theory is a flawed device used by people who think they are up to good, based on looking at statics from the wrong end, a statistical link does not a causality make.

If the people who push the gateway theory were to actually sit and listen to themselves they would realize that 95% of people born who go on to commit crimes, sins, etc. had mothers milk. Many had cows milk, Chocolate, red meat, etc. all in far larger quantities than any well written/believable study I have seen would suggest move from herbs to hard drugs.

Looking at who paid for the "study" is pretty often a huge indicator of the outcome, even before the first pen hit paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread