non smokers taking up vapeing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Well I have even before I started to vape. I see it more at the mall where they tend to hang out on the weekends. And like I said it's starting to become more of a trend now. It actually almost made me not get into vaping but since I have a lot of personal problems at the moment and started to crave analogs again but hated the smell and smoke I decided to give it a shot. Hopefully it's just in my neck of the woods and the kiddies don't catch on.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

The kids must have some sort of income coming in, ecigs aren't cheap. Also, the ecig vendors I've bought from since I started to vape require carding, so these kids must have adults that buy them for them. If not, that means that the black market on ecigs for kids has already started.

EDIT: If the kids are 18 or older, then that's another matter. They're adults, not kids.

Last edited:

Zombiecan

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
The kids must have some sort of income coming in, ecigs aren't cheap. Also, the ecig vendors I've bought from since I started to vape require carding, so these kids must have adults that buy them for them. If not, that means that the black market on ecigs for kids has already started.

Yup that's pretty much it... A lot of the neighborhoods around here are money. Mommy and daddy gets them what they want. Personally I never had a kids blow a vape cloud in my face but I've seen them showing off at the mall with their friends and people walk by and get it in their face and complain about it and that's when the kids say it's ok cause it's not smoke. And of course then non smokers and vapers say it's shouldn't be allowed anywhere just like analogs. Personally I don't really vape anywhere else besides my home because I don't want some uninformed ignorant person making the same kind of comments to me because I know it wouldn't end well lol.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
That's because in Texas, if you blew smoke or vape in someone's face so rudely, the least you'd get is a good hiding!

I don't behave like that and i can blow huge clouds if i want to - i confine it to my home.

My money is on this - that the point of vaping anyway is to get away from cigarettes and that was the entire point for my wife and i. The Holy Grail was finding some reliable equipment that would allow us to do that.

When that became available, all the other nonsense started, with people vaping to deliberately irritate others. Not cool!

As for the harm to non-smokers taking up vaping, i refer you to this:
Transcript of Viscount Ridley’s debate on e cigs in the House of Lords – how it should be done! | Save e-cigs

Here is my favourite bit:

“Unfortunately, we have no evidence”,
of harm.
There is said to be a risk of children taking up e-cigarettes and then turning to real cigarettes. Just think about that for a second. For every child who goes from cigarettes to electronic cigarettes, there would there have to be 1,000 going the other way, from e-cigarettes to cigarettes, for this to do any net harm.

T

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
My only other real serious point here is age. Every young person is different. Of course consent is and should be largely up to the parents. I am not talking about shoving ProVaris in the hands of infants and Janet Reno having to intervene, but reasonable discussions with teens. Society rightly sets one set age limit that is, like it or not, largely a consensus of when we say a person is capable of making a choice for him- or herself as an adult. Obviously this means nothing when it comes to individuals but is the best we can do.

Many Italian families drink wine with meals, even kids often have a bit. This is not "irresponsible parents buying booze for the neighborhood kids and their parties" by any stretch. Some would try to make it into that. Relax, have something to eat, have a drink and a smoke or a vape if that is what tunes you up.

Calam

Feb 25, 2013
California
I read Rolygate's article. He makes some pretty huge leaps of logic with no evidence. Leaping and landing at the right conclusion doesn't mean you thought something out. So I'm not saying he's wrong, but I still have no reason to buy his arguments.

The e-cigarette politics site discusses the potential addictiveness of nicotine in more realistic terms: there have been no studies on humans. So while one can say "there is no clinical evidence that pharmaceutical nicotine is addictive," it's important to ALSO say, "there is no evidence that it ISN'T addictive, either."

The e-cigarette politics site also states that "experts" believe that it's probably not addictive apart from tobacco, but no citation is provided. They also claim that it's a "normal" dietary ingredient, and while this is true, nicotine occurring in plants like bell peppers is at a concentration in the nanograms. So it's really not relevant to a discussion on addiction.

The point I'm making here is this: claiming that it is "not addictive" really is an unfounded claim. And regardless, it is a stimulant, whether you want to call it addictive or not. Some people get addicted to stimulants. The addictive properties of a drug are not always the determinant factor in whether or not people can actually be addicted to it. If people get addicted to things like gambling and sex, then they can certainly be addicted to nicotine; and if we have laws regulating gambling among minors, then it seems reasonable to also regulate nicotine among minors, as well.

Having said all that, given the choice, I would much rather be addicted to vapor than to tobacco smoke (and I am addicted to neither).

Last edited:

kronos01

Aug 8, 2013
Sydney Australia
A lot of non-smokers like the 'Hookah' experience in middle eastern restaurants. They sit there and puff on zero-nic flavours bubbling through the hookah. I have had one such social puffer approach me re getting hold of vaping equipment to transfer his "hubbly-bubbly" experience to home.

Not sure why he did not simply buy his own hookah. Interestingly, I have seen e-hookahs on sale somewhere.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
A lot of non-smokers like the 'Hookah' experience in middle eastern restaurants. They sit there and puff on zero-nic flavours bubbling through the hookah. I have had one such social puffer approach me re getting hold of vaping equipment to transfer his "hubbly-bubbly" experience to home.

Not sure why he did not simply buy his own hookah. Interestingly, I have seen e-hookahs on sale somewhere.
LOL, Hookahs are certainly not "zero nic." They involve combustion of tobacco and as such deliver nicotine. I'd call hookah devotees "smoker wantabees," unwilling to withstand the social stigma of using conventional tobacco products.

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
LOL, Hookahs are certainly not "zero nic." They involve combustion of tobacco and as such deliver nicotine. I'd call hookah devotees "smoker wantabees," unwilling to withstand the social stigma of using conventional tobacco products.

Why call them that? Naw, they're probably mostly just people who enjoy using hookahs. Who doesn't enjoy a good hookah now and then? But you get what you pay for. Cheap hookah's can be dangerous. And you don't ever want to be caught with a dead hookah, especially if you are a politician.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Why call them that? Naw, they're probably mostly just people who enjoy using hookahs. Who doesn't enjoy a good hookah now and then? But you get what you pay for. Cheap hookah's can be dangerous. And you don't ever want to be caught with a dead hookah, especially if you are a politician.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com

This is truly inspired!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise

They do not involve tobacco combustion and in fact if you are a vaper, you can thank hookahs for pioneering your experience before you even knew what it was. Calling hookah users anything like what you said is ignorant to say the least.

Hookah smoking is the closest analog to enthusiast-level vaping. The delicious flavors and the big-cloud aesthetics are part of the hookah experience, not cigarettes.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Challenge accepted. Why in the hell is anyone inhaling anything other than air? WHY?!? if you just want nicotine chew the gum, wear a patch. Oh, that's right, its cool and a hobby. lol

with conviction btw

Then why are you here? Why do you vape, if you do, instead of just breathing AIR? Why didn't you use the patch, or gum, or Chantix, or an inhaler?

Seriously. If you're so against smoking, and vaping, then why are you a part of this community. And why do you (presumably) vape?

I liked your post in the hopes you see this and reply. I agree with absolutely nothing you have posted in this thread.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
My friend started vaping even though he's a non smoker and I fully support him. He's a food junkie so he got a bunch of sweet flavors to help curb his over eating.

It works. That was one of the reasons I started even though I haven't smoked in almost 14 years (I work from home, so I have access to food all day). I've lost more than 10 pounds so far and have a better time differentiating between real hunger and "I'm bored" hunger.

I have a neighbor who started vaping when she quit drinking and it's really helped her; the owner at my local B&M has a police officer as a customer who started vaping for the same reason, and she said he also says it's been helping him stay sober.

I should add that before I started vaping I'd have a vodka-and-something or 2 or 3 almost every night and that pretty much stopped when I started vaping. I wouldn't say I had a drinking problem to begin with, but I just haven't felt like drinking when at home anymore.

So is it substituting one addiction (food, alcohol) for another? Maybe; but self-medicating seems to be a built-in urge for almost everything in the animal kingdom, humans included.

ClayTaylorNC

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2014
United States
If you're going to pick up a vice, "vaping" is a great one out of many, many, many bad ones. Although I do not support adding nicotine to any juice you may use. If it was as simple as to answer yes or no to if a non smoker should start using one, the answer is no. JUST a slightly similar comparison:

If a drinker switches from alcoholic beverages to a non-alcohol drink to become healthier with essentially the same habit, it's a very good thing. Although, it's wouldn't be the same for someone who doesn't drink to pick up the non-alcohol habit. It'd just be an opportunity to become more involved in it. It would be moving the same direction it did for us (used to be smokers), we started with smokes, got worse and worse, then we moved on to vaping and it's been great! With them (non-ex smoker new vapers), it'd be starting off vaping 0-nic, then, just a little nic, then more nic perhaps, then so on and so forth. Just my opinion.

rzil

May 6, 2014
Israel
Is this going on? Are non smokers getting into vapeing and justifying it by just getting 0mg or 6mg of nic?? Does that make it ok?

Id love to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Ive only been vapeing 2 weeks but ive already gathered a press full of goodies ive got two egos and a twist, about 10 bottles of juice an evod, two aspire bdc minis and a .... load of ce4s and drip tips. Anyways the missus never smoked, however she keeps picking them up 'let me taste this let me taste that' i dont want to encourage it tbh, (selfishly) i would love a vapeing buddy though haha

I don't support non smoker getting addicted to nicotine and I'm a bit ambivalent about him taking up vaping generally.
Most of us are ex-smokers , we started vaping to switch into an healthier alternative for an addiction that started when we were younger and stupid and to be honest I wouldn't start vaping if I didn't smoke first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread