Non-smokers vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

loislolalane

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Ok, since you brought it up... What exactly is smoking a hookah all about? I mean I know what the thing looks like but what exactly do people smoke in one? And why?

Why does anyone smoke anything? It's all gratification. I think their thing is flavor more than a nic fix, though. I never necessarily understood hookah either but it's something my peers enjoy. It's tobacco, though. Involves water and a large coal. Don't understand the logistics of it, but I would rather them vape than smoke hookah because it's safer.

Living, loving, and laughing all the time!

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
None of my biz, really, but i've heard from several parents that their children are coming home from school reporting that many kids have vape gear for the "cool" factor or something.

The ones that I spoke to were not happy about it.

I am just reporting in. :)

Zero nicotine hookah pens, vs real conventional cigarette = non addicted stooped crazy rebellious curious naughty experimenter. Amazing how technology can help if we let it.

Criticalmass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
How do you feel about people who never smoked cigarettes vaping?

I was at the only vaping supply store in Maine on Monday (which is also an 18+ only tobacco shop) checking out all their juices. In walks a kid, who I swear was not a day over 18, grabs a bottle of juice and says I should "try the cinnamon roll, it's really good". Now I have no idea if this guy is a young ex-smoker but I doubt it.

I didn't say anything to him as it's not my business but it kind of bugged me. As a 12 year ex-smoker (thanks to vaping) I don't think non-smokers should start vaping anymore than they should pick up a cigarette. BTW the shop only sells juice with nicotine in it.

Am I just being a total snob or does this bother anyone else? I think what makes me cringe the most is the mis-information about e-cigs marketed to children and here's this barely 18 year old vaping.

To each his own....

Live and let live. If they are an adult, I see no issue with it. If they were my family, I would offer my opinion, but in the end it is their decision. Too many people scream for freedoms when it concerns them, but then turn right around and try to tell others how they should live. It doesn't work like that and never has. :)

The ONLY way freedom works is if it is good for EVERYONE. Not just you.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
If a person wants to smoke cigarettes go for it. If they want to vape go for it. If they want to have a drink go for it. I do not like people telling me what to do. I sure won't tell others. If it is legal and a person abides by those laws..... anyone forbidding them or looking at them in the wrong light needs to go home sit in front of a mirror and judge themselves for the night.

You know you can't tell anything about someone age by the way they look. People think my wife is in her late 20's.

Hypocrisy, it's rampant.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I never smoked cigarettes. I was a cigar guy. One or two a week, so the nicotine never mattered to me. I came to vaping not for a nicotine fix, but because I enjoy the experience of smoking, and wanted a safer alternative. Whenever I order juice, I order it nicotine-free. For me, it's all about the process of smoking/vaping. It's a way I relax. I love sitting down before bed with a Scotch and a nice tobacco-flavored vape.

I'm sure the same is true for many. I think vaping is a great cigarette replacement for many. But for some of us, it's about the experience in and of itself. It's not the means to an end, it's the end.

justagirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
Colorado
None of my biz, really, but i've heard from several parents that their children are coming home from school reporting that many kids have vape gear for the "cool" factor or something.

The ones that I spoke to were not happy about it.

I am just reporting in. :)

As a mom.... I am not happy about it. My teenager said the same thing about kids at school now carrying vape gear. She also commented on vaping being "cool". I told her it was not something I consider to be cool and that it sucks to be addicted to anything. However, we discussed it and it was dealt with. By me, not by the government.

As to nonsmokers over 18 vaping well, I guess they can do what they want but, I don't see why vaping would be a "hobby" to pick up. I like it instead of smoking. If I had never smoked I would not start vaping. After all we don't have long term studies yet. Safer than smoking? Sure... safer than just air? I doubt it. But its their choice.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I never smoked cigarettes. I was a cigar guy. One or two a week, so the nicotine never mattered to me. I came to vaping not for a nicotine fix, but because I enjoy the experience of smoking, and wanted a safer alternative. Whenever I order juice, I order it nicotine-free. For me, it's all about the process of smoking/vaping. It's a way I relax. I love sitting down before bed with a Scotch and a nice tobacco-flavored vape.

I'm sure the same is true for many. I think vaping is a great cigarette replacement for many. But for some of us, it's about the experience in and of itself. It's not the means to an end, it's the end.

I still enjoy my cigars but no longer smoke cigs.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
Look, I smoked for many years and enjoyed it (never did it for the "cool Factor"), now I vape and enjoy that even more. Who the h--- am I to judge a young man for doing the same thing I am? That's just crazy! And the truth is, as vaping becomes more popular and widespread, there will be young people who start vaping without first smoking--because THEY ENJOY IT, just as we do. Nicotine is not the monster some imagine--it does not cause cancer or breathing problems. It is mildly addictive, but some people enjoy its effects, even if some on these pages deny it.

ItsEddie

Mar 11, 2013
The Bahamas
Im a person who never smoked and i vape (0 nic of course). For me vaping is not only to help people quit but i see it as a hobby as well because of all the different gears you can buy and all the things you can fiddle around with, and i love to fiddle. But i dont think kids in high school should vape HOWEVER at some point most will try something out of peer pressure and i would prefer them to vape vs something more dangerous.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
As a mom.... I am not happy about it. My teenager said the same thing about kids at school now carrying vape gear. She also commented on vaping being "cool". I told her it was not something I consider to be cool and that it sucks to be addicted to anything. However, we discussed it and it was dealt with. By me, not by the government.

Well your post made me want to weight in after all, in an honest way. The reason I posted before is that....I don't have young kids. But I will go ahead and pretend I do, for hypotheticals:

Well they won't be addicted to anything if it is zero nic.

However, I guess I wouldn't want my kids developing any of the behaviors or rituals: inhaling, pursing lips (which does create vertical wrinkes over time), putting stuff even if relatively safe into their young lungs, dealing with the SAFETY ISSUES of lithium batteries and shorted coils, chargers, etc.

AT 18 do what you want.

Otherwise, no, if I had kids at home they would not have "vaping kits". They would have library books and art supplies or a piano or guitar or something to spend that money on that would enrich them in some way. Even a really well made pair of good hiking boots from Keene or LLBean or Northface would be okay.......and COOL :) Maybe get them into 4H with a pet calf or goat or something, or even a pony. All COOL.

But nope, no vaping stuff for my kids under 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread