ODY using Nextel XC-116 without Moding Ceramic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Since I'm outside USA I bought XS-116 instead XC-116, my first try was using the standard setup (wick inside the ceramic channels to the O-Ring on the base), it didn't work very well, I was having dry hits and rare taste, no matter if the juice control was fully open.

Then I used MrKrinkle's method but with double wick, no leaks, but too much liquid on the wick (high TH and low vapor production).

Finally I tryied MrKrinkle's method, just one single piece of XS-116, it is working great now :)

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Since I'm outside USA I bought XS-116 instead XC-116, my first try was using the standard setup (wick inside the ceramic channels to the O-Ring on the base), it didn't work very well, I was having dry hits and rare taste, no matter if the juice control was fully open.

Then I used MrKrinkle's method but with double wick, no leaks, but too much liquid on the wick (high TH and low vapor production).

Finally I tryied MrKrinkle's method, just one single piece of XS-116, it is working great now :)

Now try that same single piece of wick with the 0.9ohm dual coil method @ 3.7v and youll be a very happy camper...

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Do you get any juice at all in the base reservoir using this method MrK?

Actually using this method I have vaped a tank bone dry... what little juice was left was all in the wick... so there is a lot less juice wasted in long saturated lengths of wick and from normal vaping motion all juice eventually finds itself to the short piece of wick....

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Cool. Thank you MrK. In a few days I am due for wick replacement and I am going to try this method. I had been dismantling my XC-116, but that was a pain so I went back to the Ody wick. I must say it is a great idea.

Try this coil method with my short wick and I think you will be very happy...

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
I've used this method for a couple of months now, Mr. Krinkle is the man. I've actually opened the top of my ceramic to 1/16", and left the channels stock. (I like my wick to be pretty wet all the time, It was running a bit dry for my tastes) It doesn't leak, in Big Mode, I vaped big mode for at least 2 weeks after I started doing wicks this way... and... FOR THE FIRST TIME BIG MODE DIDN'T LEAK AT ALL!!!! That being said, I enjoy small mode the most I think. This is the BEST WAY to use nextel in Odysseus in my opinion. Good Job Mr. Krinkle!

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've used this method for a couple of months now, Mr. Krinkle is the man. I've actually opened the top of my ceramic to 1/16", and left the channels stock. (I like my wick to be pretty wet all the time, It was running a bit dry for my tastes) It doesn't leak, in Big Mode, I vaped big mode for at least 2 weeks after I started doing wicks this way... and... FOR THE FIRST TIME BIG MODE DIDN'T LEAK AT ALL!!!! That being said, I enjoy small mode the most I think. This is the BEST WAY to use nextel in Odysseus in my opinion. Good Job Mr. Krinkle!

Im glad its working so well for you Rick this makes me happy...

Last edited:

thedudeabides

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Boston
Would this work in big mode?
I still get leaking now and then with mine in the big mode.
I wouldn't mind trying mesh either.... but don't know where to buy it.

I've been using it for a few days now, and no leaks from the base. As MrKrinkle reported, I've vaped a few tanks bone dry to test if I get any standing juice in those channels. Not sure how it's possible, but that's what's happening. The flavor is on par with what I'm used to, using a similar setup in my iatty.

I am finally using my oddy over my iatty (she's waiting for her SS GGTB now).

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've been using it for a few days now, and no leaks from the base. As MrKrinkle reported, I've vaped a few tanks bone dry to test if I get any standing juice in those channels. Not sure how it's possible, but that's what's happening. The flavor is on par with what I'm used to, using a similar setup in my iatty.

I am finally using my oddy over my iatty (she's waiting for her SS GGTB now).

More good news, glad its working for you and your enjoying it....

UnFettered_Soul

Exalted Grand High Poobah
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It must be the altitude. I've tried this method and while I agree it works I havn't found a single method that doesn't leak like a siv unless I close the juice controll completely whenever I am not activly taking a drag.

Odd.
Short mode works fine for me, but everything I've tried so far in big mode leaks.
Either right away or most often, when it's about 1/2 full and lower.
I think I'll hunt up some nextel and mess and give those a try.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas

I agree....but with the exception of making the side channels fit the 116 because it, my opinion, provides the best wicking. Also, I finally got time to make a coil using the "kiln fired" 116 and it's FAR superior to torch firing it. The material, for whatever reason, is more flexible so I don't have to be nearly so careful in handling it. Awesome job you did....many thanks.

I know a lot of people love the Genesis and use a mesh wick, but I don't like it; never have and haven't found a reason to change my preference from the 116. But, that's what makes us individuals...some like blondes and others like brunettes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread