retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I have a K100 in my stash that would be absolute last resort. It is a fabulous mech and well made but the button is so hard to push that I end up in pain after a very short time using it.

Should be able to replace the spring with magnets, no?

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I bought what I like or liked in the past. Older tech stuff can be picked up for a song and the clones of that stuff even less expensive.

Considering in the last +year of vaping I've broken a total of ZERO tanks and had ZERO mods fail on me, I have a sizable stash of beginner vape gear to help friends get off the stinkies.

YMMV.

Myrany

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Should be able to replace the spring with magnets, no?
    Not a clue. I haven't looked at the thing in several years. Worth digging it out to see if that would work though. TY for the suggestion.

Edit: I took a look at the switch on the K100. It is a very different design from say a Nemmy or a magneto. I really do not see how to redo it with magnets. Finding a softer spring however might be possible.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Just a Note on Long Term storing of Mech's with Spring or Magnetic Switches.

It would probably be a Good Idea to Dissemble the Switch and take the Tension off of the Spring. And to Reverse the Magnets so they Attract rather than Repeal before you put you Mech in Long Term Storage.

No Need to have a Spring exerting it's K force or a Magnet attempting to do Nm/A work if the Mech is just going to sit in a Drawer.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I took a look at the switch on the K100. It is a very different design from say a Nemmy or a magneto. I really do not see how to redo it with magnets. Finding a softer spring however might be possible.

I have had success reducing button pressure by shortening the spring a bit and stretching it out. It may work for that switch also. Might as well make that last resort a pleasure too!

r055co

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Seattle

It would probably be a Good Idea to Dissemble the Switch and take the Tension off of the Spring. And to Reverse the Magnets so they Attract rather than Repeal before you put you Mech in Long Term Storage.

No Need to have a Spring exerting it's K force or a Magnet attempting to do Nm/A work if the Mech is just going to sit in a Drawer.
    Didn't think about that, good advice.

Thanx

schismz

ECF Veteran
    Aug 2, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Got pics of your massive collection?

Hullo @ScandaLeX, I know you like pics ;-) I don't have a pic of my entire collection, I guess I should take a few when I unpack everything and add desiccant to a lot of the pkgs. I don't have a "massive" collection, I don't actually collect anything, stuff I like, that lasts, just accumulates as years pass, for me that's roughly 50 mods after 7 years of vaping (maybe about 20+ added in very near past because of deeming :-( ).

Here's a few I've posted during the past few months tho.

The "in rotation" collection post-maintenance ;-)

if you could have the ultimate provari what would it be?

Super T Precise+ + Kayfun Mini v3 (rocks!)

Picture of Your Setup Part 2!

Tiny Dicodes with SS Kabuki (probably not what Zen had in mind)

High End REGULATED MODS !

Here's 9 of 12, the Dicodes stockpile (which is making me depressed more than happy, I'd never buy this many multiples of Exactly The Same Thing, except with the thought that years will pass, and one by one, they'll die, and I want exactly the same thing to replace them with if I can't get warranty service):

Dicodes.jpg

If I could keep only a single mod -- presupposing it kept working forever ;-) -- for me it'd be the Dani Extreme v2+ ... it's kinda like a ProVari P3 from 2017/18, inside a high-end mech mod tube, that goes to 40 watts (or 80watts if you want to get silly and start assembling the Dicodes baton with extensions and stack multiple 18350s or even 18650s), takes 18350, 18490/500, 18650 batts, has a higher level of extremely granular configurability, and "temperature control" (or guessing, or coil control, or whatever you wanna call it), that actually works and is at revision 19 or so by now.

Opinions are subjective, but in my opinion Dicodes has the best chip on the planet right now, it works better than the current crop of DNA, Yihi and ProVape chips. So, I voted my opinion with my money :) I think they're having a hard time keeping up with demand for their chip in their own products, but they either have already released their chips to other people making mods, or will be doing so in the next 5 minutes. That should be pretty cool.

V2 review (a bit dated, it's not the + which has the floating center pin):

Dicodes Dani Extreme V2 Review - Vaping360

Dani Extreme V2+ Review: Tell your wallets I'm sorry. • /r/Authentic_Vaping

There's a bunch on YouTube if you search, total summary of all reviews: it's pretty awesome.

Phil Busardo being unable to measure most things using his normal testing gear: (Pipeline Pro is just a branded Dicodes tube + chip, Pipeline doesn't make anything, they just add logos to Dicodes gear):

p.s., it's not actually that expensive. With the Brexit it costs about same as a new P3 at retail price and does a lot more. If you like ProVari, it may be worthwhile to try a dicodes tube. If you hate ProVari, tube mods, and require 100w+, then nothing here will change your mind :p
    Also to be fair, dicodes is smaller than any other regulated tube mod in the world, but it's very solid stainless, a v2+ in 18350 mode vs. a ProVari 3 Ti is significantly smaller, but it's like a lead weight vs. a feather in your pocket.

If I had $300 to spend on some insurance for the apocalypse, I would spend almost all of it on nic base, and then I'd get a ProVari mini blem, a decent 18650 mech clone, and some Kayfun clones. The ProVari is old, out-dated tech that does nothing but variable voltage, but in my own personal experience, it's built extremely well and withstands an amazing amount of abuse, and just keeps going.

@Alien Traveler I'm almost 100% sure that's not what you'd do :)

May I ask what mod from China you'd pick instead, in the $25-$35 price range? And what makes you think it'll keep working for longer than a few months? <<-- I don't really understand your reasoning. Have you personally ever used something that came from the lower-cost range from China, every day and... it still works half a year later?

I have to say as much as I like dicodes I don't know how many years one of the V2+ will last. Time will tell I guess, and I have lots of backups :) The only thing that has survived 5+ years for me so far are mechs and ProVaris.

ProVari.jpg

I will shut up now about dicodes & ProVari on FDA stocking thread :) I'm sure it's not the answer for everyone, but in my own experience it makes me feel comfortable that no matter what happens, I will not be forced back to cigarettes, or years of my life spent using Vuze or Blu or whatever survives the deeming.

Cheers

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Will that make a difference if there is no batt installed? Did I miss something?

As 440BB mentioned, Many Mech Switches have a Spring that is under that constant Compression. So even thou the Fire Button isn't being pressed, the Spring is Still exerting a Force.

It might not Matter. And the Spring might not lose it's K Force. But finding a Replacement Spring with the Same Size and Properties can sometimes be a Choir. And it would be a Drag to pull out a Doomsday Mech 3 years from today and find that the Spring is Mushy.

So if you going to just put a Mech away for awhile, might not be a bad idea to take the Load off the spring.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    @Alien Traveler I'm almost 100% sure that's not what you'd do :)

May I ask what mod from China you'd pick instead, in the $25-$35 price range? And what makes you think it'll keep working for longer than a few months? <<-- I don't really understand your reasoning. Have you personally ever used something that came from the lower-cost range from China, every day and... it still works half a year later?
    For almost a year I used exclusively one mod - Vamo. It is still as a new one. No wear, no tear.
    Now I use (for 1+ year) mostly clone of iStick 30W, about 60% of time. All my clones are in price range $16-$34, never had any problems. I am sure I can get at least 2 year from each of them. I'll be disappointed if they will run for much longer (I do not like to throw away still working things). Bear in mind that Chinese quality is much improved now (take a look at iPhones and other things). Tow Picos for me are much better than one Provari. And I am not talking about old 15W Provaris.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    you did not ask me but I feel like telling anyway.
    I have an original Istick20 )$33) that I put an adapter on right away and it is 2 years old and going strong. I have a 3 yr old Vamo, one of my fav things to vape on. I have a $40 (ish) Cloupor over a year old and going strong. All Chinese. I also have a few Provari Mini's put away. I like the Vamo better than the Provari's.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    As 440BB mentioned, Many Mech Switches have a Spring that is under that constant Compression. So even thou the Fire Button isn't being pressed, the Spring is Still exerting a Force.

It might not Matter. And the Spring might not lose it's K Force. But finding a Replacement Spring with the Same Size and Properties can sometimes be a Choir. And it would be a Drag to pull out a Doomsday Mech 3 years from today and find that the Spring is Mushy.

So if you going to just put a Mech away for awhile, might not be a bad idea to take the Load off the spring.
    Although,if someone does encounter a spring that has went,i just seen a video a few minutes ago about making a mod spring from copper wire.May come in handy in the future.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I think I would do both also. Just looked at the Yihi sx and they are expensive but you found a great price. I'd get a couple of those and then you really should look at the
    Dovpo @ecigs. Its on sale for $20.00 and I got a couple that came today. Nice mod....Dovpo Punisher 80W TC Mod | Ecig.com

They also Have the Rx200's and Ipv4 and 5 on sale.
    Coupon code for 15% is ljc15
    Just a thought.
    :)

Why doesn't that page have any specs, just reviews? Is that a single 18650?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Although,if someone does encounter a spring that has went,i just seen a video a few minutes ago about making a mod spring from copper wire.May come in handy in the future.

Interesting.

I would Never have thought of using the Bare Ground Wire out of a piece of Romex.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2015

Great tip, thanks for posting. Just took out the spring on my mech and put it in a small baggy and put it in the tube of mod. :)

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Interesting.

I would Never have thought of using the Bare Ground Wire out of a piece of Romex.
    I wouldn't of either,and came across that video and thought wow that's kinda cool haha.Now if i can figure out how to make a collapsible hot spring,then i'll be all set.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread