Please be careful with liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackolantern

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2008
I was doing a bit of dripping today, and I guess that an extra drop must have run down the dropper tip as I was putting the cap back. When I opened the lid up again a bit later, there was liquid on it and somehow it got all over my fingers and the outside of the dropper cap.

This made me start thinking. E-cigarettes are still in their infancy and have not been around long. I just kind of think that it is a matter of time before, sadly, we hear about a child getting hurt or killed by eliquid. The sweet smelling fruit flavored liquid may seem to a toddler to resemble liquid candy (the kinds they sell in convenience stores in the US and abroad), which could lead to a horrible accident.

So please, everyone who uses nicotine-containing eliquid:

1. Make sure to leave your eliquid in a child-proof place when it is in storage. Toddlers and older children can get into almost anywhere they can reach, and then some. If you have small children, consider putting your eliquid supply in a container that is lockable.

2. If eliquid gets on to any surfaces or small objects, wash them clean. If it spills onto furniture and is absorbed, consider cleaning it with a charcoal cleaning product, or call a hazerdous chemical professional for assistance.

3. Always wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after touching anything that contains or has come into contact with eliquid. Do this even if you are not sure (or think you are sure) that you did not get any on your hands. This is especially important before handling anything that a child or animal will be handling or eating.

4. Do not leave your e-cigarette where a child could reach it. They may put the cartidge or other pieces in their mouth. Consider locking up your e-cigarette when it is not in use (including over night).

5. When you are using your eliquid and ecigarette, make sure it is in a case that would be unlikely to slip out of your pocket when sitting down or doing other activities. Do not leave it on a counter unattended for even a couple minutes. It should never leave your sight if there are children present.

eLiquid must be treated the same as deadly poison, because it is deadly poison. We all need to be responsible e-cigarette users, for those around us. Also, although much less important, I am not sure that a completely new technology like e-cigarettes could survive if they were introduced to the general public attached to horrible stories of children getting hurt by the liquid and cartridges.

ladybug51

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2008
Southern CA, USA
good thought. Obviously this also applies to pets.

And nosy little dogs that like to find new objects to play/chew on.

Wonderin' too, just how long do these liquids last and still be okay. One supplier, ??, says they make their batches daily to insure best quality?

Wonder, if daily, how can they bottle it and get it off to ya fresh when great demand comes in.

Best not quote me till I check it out. Forgot the name of the blasted company.

Last edited:

UkUsa

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2008
Smalltown Iowa, USA
dc ... hmm poked in the eye with a cart ...Ouch.

I do make sure all my stuff is put away in a drawer when i'm not near it. Especially having 2 dogs and 5 cats. Our kids are ok, they are 15 and 17 and have aboslutely no interest in smoking anything.
I did explain the whole esmoking thing to them when i got my 901. Just so they would know NOT to touch it.

Pjrltor

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2008
Albuquerque, NM USA
I too ALWAYS seem to get some liquid on my fingers but really have only been wipeing my hands off with paper towels so I guess I will be washing with soap and water from now on. Sheesh, I drip and refill constantly. I think the skin on my hands is going to dry to the bone with all the washing I am gonna have to do!

ladybug51

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2008
Southern CA, USA
I too ALWAYS seem to get some liquid on my fingers but really have only been wipeing my hands off with paper towels so I guess I will be washing with soap and water from now on. Sheesh, I drip and refill constantly. I think the skin on my hands is going to dry to the bone with all the washing I am gonna have to do!

Well, I was using paper towels or dry washcloth. I rubbed my eye and later it felt weird and during the night it watered and left crusty liquid on my face.

Nicotine is nothing to full around with. Very toxic. I read where I .... if eaten by your pet, will kill it.

Washy washy. That's what good hand lotions are for. Even you guys aren't ninnies if you use lotion. Better safe than sorry.:D

jackolantern

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2008

Try getting liquid Soft Soap. I hate using regular soap because it makes my hands so rough, but Soft Soap doesn't do it at all. That stuff is magical.

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
I use rubber gloves when working with the 36 mg stuff and diluting it down. After that I don't worry about it much but I do wash my hands because that stuff is sticky.

No kids here but we do have pets. I bought an inexpensive plastic container with a snap latch on it, and that's good enough to keep everyone safe. The Jack Russell who will eat anything has no access to the box and our e-cigs go with us wherever we go in the house. I have no doubt she'd chew up a plastic tip (and cartridge) in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread