problem with my Pico, or batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleDragon

Jun 20, 2016
Gloucester, MA
I've got a Pico that I've been using regularly for a few months, and typically the battery lasts about a day while it takes 3/4 of a day to charge the other battery (cheap battery charger) and I switch. Suddenly I find the batteries lasting less than the time it takes to charge one, so I am rotating through 3 batteries. What do you think the problem is?

Reactions: smacuser

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I've got a Pico that I've been using regularly for a few months, and typically the battery lasts about a day while it takes 3/4 of a day to charge the other battery (cheap battery charger) and I switch. Suddenly I find the batteries lasting less than the time it takes to charge one, so I am rotating through 3 batteries. What do you think the problem is?
take a paper towel, (windex or rubbing alcohol) and clean both the complete inside of the battery compartment and contacts as well as the ends of your batteries.

keep a pencil with an eraser nearby,, you may have to 'scrub' with the eraser.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
As batteries age they do tend to lose their charge quicker. It is possible that your batteries are the problem. Do you check them with a meter when they come off the charger to make sure they are getting a full charge?

Have you changed the way you vape? Lower ohm coils do tend to use more battery power with each hit or longer draws would also use more.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Describe the model of the battery and it's amp rating. What is your watts setting?

Reactions: Eskie

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Mod can become warmer because:
1. You started to chain vape for longer periods of time.
2. You increased your wattage.
3. Something wrong with a mod (but I am not an expert here, no experience - non of my mods went bad). If temperature only "seems to increase"...
4. Something wrong with batteries. But chances that all three of your batteries started misbehave simultaneously are pretty low. You can check their temperature when they are charging, if it definitely increased, stop using them.

If your batteries significantly older than Pico, then it is quite probable they started to loose their capacity.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
As batteries age they lose capacity, useful life / run time diminishes.

Could be you're using insufficient CDR cells for your application to begin with, or, maybe your charger isn't functioning as it should.

Without knowing what batteries & charger you're using it is all guesswork.

As far as getting warmer it could be dirty 510 connections, when was the last time you thoroughly cleaned them?
Chance of dirty battery contacts, when was the last time you cleaned them?
Could be heat transfer from your delivery device.
Might be normal battery heating depending on what watt range you use or how frequently you vape.

Reactions: KenD

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Sounds as if one of two things are going on.

1. You are vaping at a higher wattage
2. Your batteries are bearing tge end of their life cycle.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
A cheap charger may be overcharging the batteries (which is dangerous), damaging them. Get a proper brand name charger (for example by Xtar), both for battery longevity and safety.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Xtar or Nitecore. Are the only brands i recommend.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Xtar or Nitecore. Are the only brands i recommend.
I'm not sure I'd recommend Nitecore. I never had any problems with my I2 but plenty of people seemed to have, plus they charge slowly. Efest chargers seem to be popular, and have tested well, though I'm reluctant to recommend them due to their shady battery practices. I'm very happy with my Opus bt-c3100 (the 3400 is newer) but it's overkill for most users (and the Xtar vp4 plus dragon is probably better, though more expensive).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
How many hours does it take to charge one of your batteries? 3/4 of a day I'm thinking 18 hours but that doesn't sound right lol.

Length of time is irrelevant.

I use battery packs to charge my phone and other electronics i care about.

My 10,000 mah battery pack used to take 12-16 hours to charge.

I got a USB 2.0 wall plug. Now i can charge the same pack in 6 hours.

Reactions: Fozzy71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread