Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Lifted from the thread...the "science" behind different coils | Post #11.

You get vaporization by way of an effective contact area with the wick. The more efficient that you make that in relationship to air and juice flow the more conversion you get. More actual vapor vs. diffusion, more flavor. Simple formula.

Thirty seconds to an outstanding repeatable baseline vape.

Everything else is fun. Meet ya there.

Good luck.

:)

Hi Mac!
It's been awhile! Hope all is well and you had a nice Turkey Day!
So, I may have asked this before if so those brain cells died.

With the reasoning that more surface contact area between the coil and wicking material the better, am I safe in assuming with the same gauge wire and same number of wraps, around same size mandrell to come out to exact same resistance, that a parallel coil would be preferred over a twisted coil due to surface area contact?

I have been running twisted with my smaller chamber atties like the Hornet due to chamber & post size but since I have more room in my Nuppins I was thinking of a change. I also run only single coil vs. double which is fine for me for flavor and vapor at 1.0 ohm build.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Hi Mac!
It's been awhile! Hope all is well and you had a nice Turkey Day!
So, I may have asked this before if so those brain cells died.

With the reasoning that more surface contact area between the coil and wicking material the better, am I safe in assuming with the same gauge wire and same number of wraps, around same size mandrell to come out to exact same resistance, that a parallel coil would be preferred over a twisted coil due to surface area contact?

I have been running twisted with my smaller chamber atties like the Hornet due to chamber & post size but since I have more room in my Nuppins I was thinking of a change. I also run only single coil vs. double which is fine for me for flavor and vapor at 1.0 ohm build.

More linear surface contact area given the space available on-deck. As much as the rig can handle. With parallels you're using thinner wire, so less is being vented to air. That puts the maximal heated area right on Nextel. And the media can handle it, far more than any other…and stores it! Think about a ceramic hot plate. Nextel is just awesome.

Love twisted and still use it. It diffuses more and I like that for some juices. But if you want to put the rubber on the road parallels are great, just unstable. Easy to warp if you overheat and they easily do in a short time. That ruins turn-to-turn contact and there goes hi-output if it doesn't turn downright sour. What I found is twisting the leads locks down the strain you put in if they were tension wound. And man do they last forever. Longest for me a year on a dual center post, my first. That's three leads, with centers married. So basically a long coil. Wouldn't think it would work and not vent out enough heat, vapor that is. Just the opposite.

So there are two twisted lead solutions that can work just phenomenally with Nextel. They are high concentrated power and I've run them out to beyond 60W. But they are hi-power, hi vaporization rate coils. Call them flavor winds if you like except they are very efficient and produce a lot of vapor for the volts. My goal has never been diffusion cloud production but optimal output.

There you have it. A few more notes. Had a great one but kickin' back this year and needed it.

Best to you and yours rudy. G'luck with all the FDA nonsense everyone.

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn
Hi, there. I've been reading through this thread, and noticed that some have been advising to use the thinner 2mm wick, which I haven't used yet, and to use 1/16 or 1.5mm micro-coils. What are the advantages to doing so? I haven't quite been able to figure out the benefits of switching from the 3mm wick and 3mm coils, which I've been presently using, with my Squape R(s). Anyone else using this with the Squape, or who has relevant recommendations on how to use the wick in a Squape temp-control set-up? Just looking for improvements to my present rig, as I'll be re-buying ready-wick and more titanium wire soon. Do those using the readyXwick in a Squape use the B deck or the W deck? Would the W deck be better so as to use less Wick, or would there be an advantage to the B deck, does anyone know? What gauge Titanium do you think would be best? I've been using 22 gauge from Lightning Vape, but I'm almost out, and I see they now have 20 gauge, so I was thinking of buying that. I see Unkamen supply also has even lower gauges, from 16-18, if those are preferable for the micro-coils, though I think they may be too thick for my Kuro coiler. Is it advantageous to get the thickest gauge wire possible for temp control? I thought I saw some suggesting above that 16-18 gauge was ideal, and wanted to make inquiries before purchasing, since it is quite a bit more expensive.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

@showman I'd say tight rebuilding spaces or decks. Particularly where you want to use multiple coils. The Soldado comes to mind, quad verticals for example or tanks with narrow decks. You'd want to use smaller micro's rather than a macro. The 2mm (XC-132) flows extremely well. I did a lot of research on this wick. Many hundreds of builds on my own and far more with assistance. It's productive with a fair amount of compression for it's diameter. Suggest 1.8-1.98mm. A lot of info on how to create the perfect wind for it easily and consistently here...Protank MicroCoil Discussion!! And if I can help on specifics, let me know.

Good luck.

Reactions: muzichead

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I'm not sure there are many in this thread that would have any knowledge of the Squape RTA since this is a bottom feeding forum basically and we all use RDA's. Personally, I, and most others that use RxW have went the opposite direction as you have described and went from using 2mm to the 3mm in most applications we have. The biggest reason for this is the 3mm actually holds more liquid in it, not to mention most RDA's nowadays actually perform better with larger diameter coils in them. I am thinking it has been almost a year since I have used 2mm in any application at all. I have been using 3mm since it came out.

I will add that the 2mm is best suited to the 1/16" or 1.5mm coils as those diameters allow the RxW to fill the coil, yet not choke it off. This would also hold true for the 3mm RxW in a 2.5mm coil. The RxW should be able to be threaded into the coil as opposed to merely stuffing the coil like you would with cotton or rayon.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm not sure there are many in this thread that would have any knowledge of the Squape RTA since this is a bottom feeding forum basically and we all use RDA's. Personally, I, and most others that use RxW have went the opposite direction as you have described and went from using 2mm to the 3mm in most applications we have. The biggest reason for this is the 3mm actually holds more liquid in it, not to mention most RDA's nowadays actually perform better with larger diameter coils in them. I am thinking it has been almost a year since I have used 2mm in any application at all. I have been using 3mm since it came out.

I will add that the 2mm is best suited to the 1/16" or 1.5mm coils as those diameters allow the RxW to fill the coil, yet not choke it off. This would also hold true for the 3mm RxW in a 2.5mm coil. The RxW should be able to be threaded into the coil as opposed to merely stuffing the coil like you would with cotton or rayon.

I agree. Mosly RDA's for me too but push 2.61-3.2mm in Subtank heads from 17.5-45W. And this is equiv to my preferred mech's built for 60W+ delivery. If you recall I early on recommended thicker wicking/winds for more power with RxD. But don't think for a min you can't get a healthy flow with 8mm combined of XC-132, higher res and that much surface contact area. Think about it. Depends on the potential of the platform, tight space and good airflow.

:D

Good luck.

Reactions: muzichead

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn

Thanks. I tried using a bottom feeding atomizer (I think it was a chalice) with a Vaporflask Squonk, but I found it impossible to build. The Squape with the B (bottom) deck is the first rebuildable I've had any success with building, so I'll likely be sticking with that. I had thought that 3mm was the general recommendation fro the reason you cite, but upon reading some of this thread, I thought people were saying smaller coils were better.

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn

@showman I'd say tight rebuilding spaces or decks. Particularly where you want to use multiple coils. The Soldado comes to mind, quad verticals for example or tanks with narrow decks. You'd want to use smaller micro's rather than a macro. The 2mm (XC-132) flows extremely well. I did a lot of research on this wick. Many hundreds of builds on my own and far more with assistance. It's productive with a fair amount of compression for it's diameter. Suggest 1.8-1.98mm. A lot of info on how to create the perfect wind for it easily and consistently here...Protank MicroCoil Discussion!! And if I can help on specifics, let me know.

Good luck.

Thanks Mack! Right now, I'm using a Squape R(s) with the B (bottom) deck, and grade 1 titanium, 22 gauge, though I probably will be trying 20 gauge that Lightning Vape now, and the 3mm readyXwick, wound with a 3mm coiler. I have to head out for now, but I'll check back in later for more guidance. It's performing well and the wicks last much longer than I am used to, and I'm glad to be rid of cotton, but just looking for some tweaks. I wanted to try the true bottom feeding RDA's you guys use, but I had trouble getting the builds to work in anything but the Squape, so I have just been using that with their bottom deck.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
My Flask Squonk is being sent back for repairs, but maybe when it gets back, I'll give it another chance, if you guys have any tips for building for bottom feeders! I have the chalice, but wasn't very successful at building with it.
My first 2 suggestions would be to give the flask and chalice away and get yourself a LP Reo Grand and something like an Origen Little 16 atty. I have 2 in my stable and the vape is outstanding. The flask was a great concept prior to its 1st release, but unfortunately they completely missed the boat on it. One of the biggest failures in vaping history. The chalice is for the tootle puff crowd and as you already pointed out, is not easy to build...

Reactions: Walter Ego

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thanks. I tried using a bottom feeding atomizer (I think it was a chalice) with a Vaporflask Squonk, but I found it impossible to build. The Squape with the B (bottom) deck is the first rebuildable I've had any success with building, so I'll likely be sticking with that. I had thought that 3mm was the general recommendation fro the reason you cite, but upon reading some of this thread, I thought people were saying smaller coils were better.

Some dual RxD's at about 30W on an IPV4s I did for a friend…

You'll love Nextel if you like both flavor and vapor. Stuff's amazingly neutral. Just a light dry burn and quick rinse to get the taste of the cook off. Back to business in minutes. And if you prime with a few hits of just VG, right back to your flavor as well. Run like that for months with a consistent build. Squape's a straightforward single build from what I see and 3mm's perfect for it. Haven't done one and I strayed a bit off topic here.

Download this .pdf chart on wire size standards, handy...Micro's & Resistance Chart.pdf…for some ideas on possible coil diameters. A standard 7/64" is typical but can be a bit loose to for consistent contact. Some juices swell nicely in it, others not. RxD need a little compression on its surface for good flow like slightly squeezing the end of a garden hose. I'm using #36 wire gauge (2.7051mm) for most Nextel builds as a compromise for vapor and post vaporization diffusion. This diameter's also good for maintenance as it's still loose enough to burn 'till it's dry and wiggle around back and forth as you do; or, to just pull outright and torch.

Just a few more thoughts. Good luck all.

Last edited:

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks Mack! Right now, I'm using a Squape R(s) with the B (bottom) deck, and grade 1 titanium, 22 gauge, though I probably will be trying 20 gauge that Lightning Vape now, and the 3mm readyXwick, wound with a 3mm coiler.

If you are using the 3mm ReadyxWick you need to use the 2.5mm coiler - this way it allows the ReadyxWick to "fill" the coil touching all around the coil. I love the stuff - use it in 99% of all my rebuilds - even the Spheroids :)

Also, you can stick a small flat head or sewing needle (something small) through the middle of the RxW when it's inside the coil to create a small hole through the center of the RxW and making sure its touching to coil surround.

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn
If you are using the 3mm ReadyxWick you need to use the 2.5mm coiler - this way it allows the ReadyxWick to "fill" the coil touching all around the coil. I love the stuff - use it in 99% of all my rebuilds - even the Spheroids :)

Also, you can stick a small flat head or sewing needle (something small) through the middle of the RxW when it's inside the coil to create a small hole through the center of the RxW and making sure its touching to coil surround.
Thanks! This makes sense. I think I'm going to try this (using the 2.6mm coiler), and stick with the 3mm readyXwick, which seems best for my single coil setup, and move to the 20 gauge of titanium (from 22) this time, and see if there's improvement.

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn
My first 2 suggestions would be to give the flask and chalice away and get yourself a LP Reo Grand and something like an Origen Little 16 atty. I have 2 in my stable and the vape is outstanding. The flask was a great concept prior to its 1st release, but unfortunately they completely missed the boat on it. One of the biggest failures in vaping history. The chalice is for the tootle puff crowd and as you already pointed out, is not easy to build...
I like the flask most for its ergonomics, and for some, who value ergonomics greatly (perhaps if one has pain in the hand from typing, and other ergonomic equipment, one may feel this way) the flask therefore has great value for them, even if you are correct about its other flaws. Anyway, mine is currently being sent in because the battery slots got stuck shut, and VF is repairing it. I'd like to try a Reo too someday, but I'm worried I'd have as much difficulty building any bottom feeder as I did with the chalice.

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn
Good luck! I have used one setup for 4 months and only changed the coil once. just rinse off and dryburn :)

This is lovely stuff ;)
Thanks! I agree. Moving to the readyXwick from cotton already, I'm amazed at how long my coils last now. I used to hate rewicking and rebuilding daily. I'm mainly looking for incremental improvements, so thanks for the tip! I never realized it should be 2.5 or 2.6 mm; I had assumed 3mm wick would call for a 3mm coil?

showman

Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn
Some dual RxD's at about 30W on an IPV4s I did for a friend…

You'll love Nextel if you like both flavor and vapor. Stuff's amazingly neutral. Just a light dry burn and quick rinse to get the taste of the cook off. Back to business in minutes. And if you prime with a few hits of just VG, right back to your flavor as well. Run like that for months with a consistent build. Squape's a straightforward single build from what I see and 3mm's perfect for it. Haven't done one and I strayed a bit off topic here.

Download this .pdf chart on wire size standards, handy...Micro's & Resistance Chart.pdf…for some ideas on possible coil diameters. A standard 7/64" is typical but can be a bit loose to for consistent contact. Some juices swell nicely in it, others not. RxD need a little compression on its surface for good flow like slightly squeezing the end of a garden hose. I'm using #36 wire gauge (2.7051mm) for most Nextel builds as a compromise for vapor and post vaporization diffusion. This diameter's also good for maintenance as it's still loose enough to burn 'till it's dry and wiggle around back and forth as you do; or, to just pull outright and torch.

Just a few more thoughts. Good luck all.

I did get several sample packs from my first order of ReadyXwick (which comes with all three sizes) and I am out of the 3mm until my new order comes, since that is what I have been using-- so I may try to build some micro-coils with the thin wick I have until I have some more wick in, so thanks for these tips! I'm intrigued. Will look this over more carefully and try soon. The juice I am using is all VG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread