Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Finally! I figured out our new camera. It's been sitting here a long time and I was intimidated so was ignoring it. Turns out it's not so hard to use.

Ok MacTech, here ya go! And thanks for offering to take a look. These coils are about 3 weeks old. I pulled the RxW out so they can be seen better.

I used the 16 g leur lock for these so they aren't as tight as the ones I make on my gizmo. I'm doing them vertically because I seem to get less seepage out of the airholes this way. Good? Bad? Room for improvement?

I really, really like those vertical cross-overs penny. I pay a great deal of attention to the ergonomics of rebuilding. How we can best take advantage of the mechanical processes to improve the vape. This is what I see. If you have a screwdriver or pin vise with a bit the size that you wound those, you have a lot of leverage. When you set those verticals you put the bit down through the wind and stretch it taught (not tight) to set its final position. Now i notice you have a bit of vertical tilt. But having that leverage when you retention outwards you can also tension in the opposite direction of tilt to both orient the most outward position and the vertical alignment. It just takes a sturdy enough tool and some levarage. I build a lot of these btw.

Now it seems to me the advantage of the cross-over then is that when you do this final set adjustment and you tilt the bit…you're also applying tension to those final end turns both sides forcing them to sat down! Purdy good there penny. And that's what you want end-to-end uniform adhesion when you pulse and oxidize that thing. No torching and a minimum of scrunchy.

All in all a pretty build. Like I said I'm likin' your cross-overs.

Take care and good luck penny.

:)

p.s. you can stick that Leur blunt in a pin vise (or use the syringe for leverage as super_X suggested).

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
RGLP4Lyfe- you should post a pic when you're done, I'd like to see what you mean.
Im still debating on it. Its not too big of a deal to me, but i dont want to shred up my authentic Loki... i may look into a cheap clone and try it with that deck. I wish i could explain better but when i do actually get it done ill make sure to post it for you.

My love- Kawa green Reo grand LP w/ TRA Super light door, with TOBH and chuff top!

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Finally! I figured out our new camera. It's been sitting here a long time and I was intimidated so was ignoring it. Turns out it's not so hard to use.

Ok MacTech, here ya go! And thanks for offering to take a look. These coils are about 3 weeks old. I pulled the RxW out so they can be seen better.

I used the 16 g leur lock for these so they aren't as tight as the ones I make on my gizmo. I'm doing them vertically because I seem to get less seepage out of the airholes this way. Good? Bad? Room for improvement?

Penny , thought I'd chime in here. Been using nextel xc132 off and on in protanks for 6 months and have confirmed, as Mac has previously said here and elsewhere, that rxw is very fussy about deflection and coil symmetry. Both are controlled by proper and consistent tension. Winding on a gizmo or cigamajig (see my blog) will get you there.

In the top pic the upper right portion of the right coil does not appear to have good deflection (compression) of the rxw. In the middle pic it appears that the winds are shifted left and right. This will also adversely effect deflection. Both of these scenarios can cause early gunking as you described. Can also cause a burny taste.

Mac was right on when he suggested pulling outward on the coil while rotating from horizontal to vertical. That outward tension will compress the turns together and keep them there until tension is released.

Nextel really does need a coil that looks like a perfect cylinder to offer up it's greatest attributes.

Hope this helps get ya there,

:)cig

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Thanks Mac and cigatron! I usually use my gizmo but wanted to try some freehand with the luer to see how I did, hence the not so perfect coils in my pics. The gizmo coils definitely turn out better. On my next build I'll use my gizmo and try adding more tension as I turn the coils and see if that helps my RxW last longer for me. I'll have to check out the cigamajig, this is the first I've heard of it. Again, thanks guys!

phibbus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
PA, USA
It was ordered straight from RBA supplies and is readyxwick, when I cut it it didnt fray as bad as pictured but was falling apart by the time I could get it through the coil. I tried a 2.4 mm coil first and couldnt get it to go then I tried the biggest pin that comes with a tobecco coil jig which should be close to 3 mm and still had trouble. I didnt try and torch it first but I did try to gently screw it in with no luck. I will re-build it again tomorrow and try it again, it is a kayfun.

I was having the same problems with it flaring out at the end and then falling apart, despite torching it every which way prior to threading. Finally got the knack of it, and I can now get the 2mm through a 1/16" pretty easily, usually on the first try, without torching or wetting. I cut the end at a 45 degree angle twice, with the two cuts 90 degrees apart, rotationally. I don't cut all the way across the diameter, but only trim half the sheath on each cut so that a blunt point is formed on one side of the wick. Bring that blunt point just barely into contact with the inside of your coil, and then twist the wick in the same direction as your wraps, but without applying any forward pressure to try to push it through. Let the screw action provide all the momentum to pull the wick through, instead. It was the application of pressure that was causing the wick to flare and fray for me, and any little bit seems to make it happen.

I'm also sill bothered by the fibers that go airborne when cutting, but I can usually control it pretty well with a piece of damp paper towel behind the clippers and blowing so that the fibers get trapped on it.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I use a nailclipper on mine , clip at angle, and never see any "airborne fibers" ?

Look closer in better light. Or better yet cut over black construction paper. There is no way to not get them unless you cut the wick while wet.

That said I don't give a darn about them.

Love this stuff.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I was having the same problems with it flaring out at the end and then falling apart, despite torching it every which way prior to threading. Finally got the knack of it, and I can now get the 2mm through a 1/16" pretty easily, usually on the first try, without torching or wetting. I cut the end at a 45 degree angle twice, with the two cuts 90 degrees apart, rotationally. I don't cut all the way across the diameter, but only trim half the sheath on each cut so that a blunt point is formed on one side of the wick. Bring that blunt point just barely into contact with the inside of your coil, and then twist the wick in the same direction as your wraps, but without applying any forward pressure to try to push it through. Let the screw action provide all the momentum to pull the wick through, instead. It was the application of pressure that was causing the wick to flare and fray for me, and any little bit seems to make it happen.

I'm also sill bothered by the fibers that go airborne when cutting, but I can usually control it pretty well with a piece of damp paper towel behind the clippers and blowing so that the fibers get trapped on it.

That's the ticket P. Congrats.

What's been said (I think) way back.

But it can't be said enough, it's that easy.

Good luck.

:)

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
You are on a deserted island with only one other person....Rob, Elvis, Rob, Elvis, Rob, Elvis..you can pick just one Kay. Come on Kay, we don't have all day here!

The above is known as the "Kay Dilemma."

Lonnng time coming, Lauren, but I have an answer of course.....

While Rob's on the island, Elvis is wading in the water.....

yolo_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Strawberry Fields
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread