Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
image.jpg
I call him Snaggletooth, I got a little carried away with the hand files before I brought out the power sander.
image.jpg
But at least I'll always know which one is mine :)

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
So I have a Grand clone and Chalice III, coming in the next couple weeks or months.. Ordered from China, Friday..

Anybody have a recommended build for the atty. Will try anything 20 watts or LESS, preferably around 10 to 15watts. I use Kanthal of 28awg or SMALLER.
My current preference is .9ohm to 1.2ohm mechanical, or 1.3-1.5ohm regulated, single twisted coils.. Yes I will regulate the Reo clone, via a kick. Works in the Smokeless owl, so the Reo should be easier to do. But will probaly go more to the mechanical side. Because 18650 batteries last longer than 18500s, especially when the 18500 is pushing a kick module.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So I have a Grand clone and Chalice III, coming in the next couple weeks or months.. Ordered from China, Friday..

Anybody have a recommended build for the atty. Will try anything 20 watts or LESS, preferably around 10 to 15watts. I use Kanthal of 28awg or SMALLER.
My current preference is .9ohm to 1.2ohm mechanical, or 1.3-1.5ohm regulated, single twisted coils.. Yes I will regulate the Reo clone, via a kick. Works in the Smokeless owl, so the Reo should be easier to do. But will probaly go more to the mechanical side. Because 18650 batteries last longer than 18500s, especially when the 18500 is pushing a kick module.
In the chalice I'd start with a single contact coil, go for the 1.2 or higher. Remember, you will either have to figure out where the inner air hole is pointing and build in front of it, or tap out the inner chamber and reposition it so that it's in the correct spot. You really want the air hole to sit dead center on the side opposite the posts so you have room to build and have air flow.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio

When you build that Chalice,check it on an ohm meter or a regulated mod first.Burnie mentioned in another thread that he thought the Reo clone clone was bad,but found out the Chalice clone was the cause of the problem.I forget what he said was causing it,but it was shorting out.

Reactions: Burnie

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
When you build that Chalice,check it on an ohm meter or a regulated mod first.Burnie mentioned in another thread that he thought the Reo clone clone was bad,but found out the Chalice clone was the cause of the problem.I forget what he said was causing it,but it was shorting out.

OK, But I always use a DMM to check my mod and atty prior to usage or building. Even if I had a mod with a meter, I would NEVER trust the on-board meter for building or maintenance purposes. Regardless of the on-board meters accuracy. I will treat it like the idiot lights of a Car, rather than a true diagnostic tool.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
OK, But I always use a DMM to check my mod and atty prior to usage or building. Even if I had a mod with a meter, I would NEVER trust the on-board meter for building or maintenance purposes. Regardless of the on-board meters accuracy. I will treat it like the idiot lights of a Car, rather than a true diagnostic tool.
Cool,just wanted to make sure.I know there are some people who just trust their builds enough to throw them right on a mech without checking,and since there is a confirmed issue with at least his atty,wanted to make sure someone else doesn't have that same issue.

Reactions: 93gc40

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Cool,just wanted to make sure.I know there are some people who just trust their builds enough to throw them right on a mech without checking,and since there is a confirmed issue with at least his atty,wanted to make sure someone else doesn't have that same issue.

Wellll, I do put untested builds on my mech, often.... Just not NEW builds. After building the same 1ohm to 1.5ohm coils a few dozen times each. I will wrap and vape an untested coil, when it is a build I am familiar with. But then I vape at 1ohm and higher, using 35amp rated batteries. I'm not too worried about minor mistake being "un-safe". Oh by the way what many around here call being safe I call being paranoid and wussiness.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Wellll, I do put untested builds on my mech, often.... Just not NEW builds. After building the same 1ohm to 1.5ohm coils a few dozen times each. I will wrap and vape an untested coil, when it is a build I am familiar with. But then I vape at 1ohm and higher, using 35amp rated batteries. I'm not too worried about minor mistake being "un-safe". Oh by the way what many around here call being safe I call being paranoid and wussiness.
    The idea is to check for a short, with the cap and DT on.
    Prevents dropping the spring, or venting the battery from a short.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    The idea is to check for a short, with the cap and DT on.
    Prevents dropping the spring, or venting the battery from a short.
    Yep,now that you mention that,that's where Burnie had his issue.Said he tested it without the cap and it was good,so he threw it on the Reo clone,and dropped the spring.Rechecked the atty again and when he put the cap on,it was shorting out.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Yep,now that you mention that,that's where Burnie had his issue.Said he tested it without the cap and it was good,so he threw it on the Reo clone,and dropped the spring.Rechecked the atty again and when he put the cap on,it was shorting out.
    The chalice III has an extra chamber inside the top cap, so it would be easy to short on it if you don't account for the size difference.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    The chalice III has an extra chamber inside the top cap, so it would be easy to short on it if you don't account for the size difference.
    Ok,yeah that makes sense then.I don't have one,so just going by the issue he had,as i had planned on getting one until he mentioned his issue.I'll probably get one to try out anyway.

Burnie

The Bug Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida

The problem with the Chalice III clone I got is the air flow insert, it shorts with the screws. I removed it and no shorts, air flow is not what I would like, but no shorts. I put a fuse in the cReo to make up for the collapsed spring and the Chalice III clone is working fine on it, without the airflow insert. Just make sure to check the Ω with it fully put together to make sure there are no shorts.

Reactions: roxynoodle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread