Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
So I know that it can be frustrating when things aren't working as well as they should...and you know there's a fix...but just can't work it out. I'm sure we can post our "AHA!!!" moments to help others out when there's no one around to answer questions immediately. So here's my moment from today....

Really enjoying my mini REO with Alien Visions E-Juice Better Butter Rum....so I go to squonk the bottle and notice more resistance than usual...like if I push to hard, I'm afraid it will pop. I vape again and start getting that burny taste...??? Squonk again and I don't see any juice beading in the reservoir. Wierd. So I pull off the door and push while watching the juice go up the tube...with air bubbles. I release the pressure and immediately the juice gets sucked back in the bottle...but why is it not going to the atty? Just as I'm starting to worry that the tube is somehow clogged up above....I look at the bottom of the bottle. AHA!!! My tube had turned just enough and the bottle and cap were riding a little high on the tube to the point where the bottom of the tube was making full contact with the bottle...sealing itself. So I removed the bottle, slid the cap down the tube just a hair and put the bottle back on. Problem solved....when I squonk the bottle...the juice actually gets to the atty and the reservoir. AWESOME!! :)

Whose next?

*edit....see later post about the o rings and swelling.

*EDIT: Have a super stiff draw? Try this... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/183433-drilling-out-holes-atties.html

Woops! Getting ready to put a new magnet in? See these instructions so you don't accidentally put it in backwards. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/304140-powder-coating-beta-3.html#post6339520

Last edited:

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
Simple trick: if your mod stops working entirely, make sure it's not stuck in the off position! This has affected almost all of us at one time or another. =D

If your liquid is too thick, try adding a drop or two of distilled water/vodka/bourbon/appropriate liquid to the mix, shake, and go!

Make sure to tighten down your bottle lid enough. Not so much that it strips or anything, but make sure it's nice and secure. And that the o-ring is still seated in the threads right. You can use a little screwdriver or toothpick to reseat an o-ring that has shifted out of the way. Just start in back in the right way, then screw it in and it'll usually go right back to normal. =)

CJLite

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2010
USA
This is how I do my weekly cleaning:
===========================
1. Remove battery.
2. Remove atty and drip tip.
3. Clean the firing pin with a q-tip dampened in isopropyl alcohol. Then wipe dry with dry end of q-tip.
4. Re-apply Noalox to the firing pin with a toothpick.
5. Clean out the juice reservoir (atty well) with a q-tip dampened with Vodka.
6. Clean out drip tip with a q-tip dampened with Vodka.
7. Blow into the battery-end of atomizer into a paper towel until juice no longer comes out.
8. Re-prime the atty with 4 or 5 drops of juice on the bridge.
9. Reinsert battery, atomizer, and drip tip.
10. Clean outside of mod by wiping down the outside with a damp cloth.
11. Reward myself by vaping myself into oblivion.

Last edited:

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
If you're getting a lot of gurgling, unscrew your atty, blow it out well, and reattach. That usually straightens things out. If there's just a little gurgle, I will sometimes blow back into the atty, ever so gently, and hold the fire button down a little bit just to get the extra liquid going. =)

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
Rule #1 really is: Don't be afraid to ask! We love our REOs, and we want you to love yours, too. We like to talk about them and show them off, and there's almost always someone awake on the threads to answer questions.

Also, don't be afraid to write to Rob! He is a swell guy and totally cares about his product and this community.

CJLite

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2010
USA
Here's how I clean out the feed tube (although I rarely do this) ...
=================================================
1. Unscrew and remove juice bottle.
2. Fill a syringe with warm water. NOTE: I filed down the end of my syringe so it's blunt (safe).
3. With my off-hand, I move the dangling end of the feed tube away from the mod and over a sink.
4. With my primary hand, I use the syringe to shoot warm water down through the hole in atomizer connector.
5. Water should now be shooting down through the silicon tubing and into the sink.
6. After doing this, I shoot air through the atty connector using an empty syringe to get rid of excess moisture.
7. Then I reward myself by vaping myself into oblivion.

Last edited:

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
Here's how I clean out the feed tube ...
==============================
1. Unscrew and remove juice bottle.
2. Fill a syringe with warm water. NOTE: I filed down the end of my syringe so it's blunt (safe).
3. With one hand, move the dangling end of the feed tube away from the mod and over a sink.
4. With the other hand, use the syringe to shoot warm water down through the hole in atomizer connector.
5. After doing this, I shoot air through the atomizer connector using an empty syringe to get rid of excess moisture.

I clean the one on my wood mod out that way, but with my minis and Grand, I am too lazy. So, I lay a kleenex down under the feed tube as I remove the bottle and kind of squish the contents of the tube out as I remove it. Then I'm ready to go again! Seems to work pretty well so far. =)

CJLite

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2010
USA
I rarely do this too. I've only done it twice so far. It's probably only something someone would do if they were shipping a mod off to someone else or getting rid of particularly persistent and overpowering flavor. :)

Hey, BTW. Since you are the primary Squonktologist around here, I was expecting to see some posts by you regarding Squonking basics.
:laugh:

I clean the one on my wood mod out that way, but with my minis and Grand, I am too lazy. So, I lay a kleenex down under the feed tube as I remove the bottle and kind of squish the contents of the tube out as I remove it. Then I'm ready to go again! Seems to work pretty well so far. =)

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
Hey, BTW. Since you are the primary Squonktologist around here, I was expecting to see some posts by you regarding Squonking basics.
:laugh:

Hee hee! Here are my basic squonking tips:

"Squonking" refers to pressing on your juice bottle to feed your atty. We all just like the word a lot. ;)

When I start a new squonk bottle, I roll it around in my hands until a softish spot shows up; that is now my sweet spot. I try to place that facing out of the squonk hole so the bottle isn't too hard to press. This works the same way with the wood mods, you just try to make sure the sweet spot will be under the plunger button. Some people mark an X on the sweet spot, but I haven't really needed to do that.

On a mini or Grand, look at the point where the atty connects to the mod. Those holes in the bottom of the atty will glisten with a little bit of liquid when you have squonked well. If the whole well fills up, you're probably going to flood it, in which case, just take off the atty and blow it out. On the classic wood mod, the reservoir is deep and you can't really see where the liquid is coming up, except at the point where the atty meets the adapter. Again, just look for the twinkle of liquid where the atty connects and you are set. =) I don't run 801 attys so I'm not sure how to judge when they are ready to go. If you have flooded it just a bit, you can usually blow the liquid back down very gently, hit the fire button, and it'll correct itself. You kind of get the hang of it as you go. =)

Infernia has a method called Blind Squonking where you don't have to look for the liquid to come up, but I am terrible at it, so I will leave that explanation to others. =D

Jack Murray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
www.stimps.com
The best tip anyone ever gave me, when you want to taste a different flavor juice, just put a few drops in the overflow cup, the atty will suck it right up.

That is a great one! It can be a fantastic way to do a little changeup without changing the whole bottle! =D

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
If your batteries begin to spark when you push the firing button down, don't keep doing it- your mod is shorting. Why is it shorting? It's not the REO itself...the likely problem is with your atty (atomizer). Take the atty off...put another one in and most likely your back to normal. It was a bad atty that was shorting within itself. If this happens, the hole Reo will feel like its corrupt but it's not.

This has happened to me once... Like an idiot, I changed batteries (thinking one was over-charged) and kept pushing the firing button and finally melted the button under the firing pin. The culprit was a bad atomizer...not the batteries and not the Reo itself. So, check your attys each time you change them out and make sure the center pin is in the center and not pushed in. If ever the small rubber (or is it silicone?) gasket between the center post and outer circle comes out or gets dislodged, the atty is toast- throw it away. It's not worth shorting out batteries and/or melting parts of your Reo because of a bad atty.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
If you ever drop your REO, here's what you must do:

1. Pick up your REO and inspect it. It's probably fine.
  2. Inspect your atty/carto/drip tip. They are more likely to have suffered damage. Replace as necessary.
  3. Find a pile of dirt.
  4. Throw yourself in the dirt.
  5. Get up and dust yourself off.
  6. Vape into a coma.

Reactions: DoubleDZA

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
If you ever drop your REO, here's what you must do:

1. Pick up your REO and inspect it. It's probably fine.
  2. Inspect your atty/carto/drip tip. They are more likely to have suffered damage. Replace as necessary.
  3. Find a pile of dirt.
  4. Throw yourself in the dirt.
  5. Get up and dust yourself off.
  6. Vape into a coma.
:facepalm::laugh: nice

WhatAClumsyGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2009
Mtns of Tennessee
Clumsys Tip :

1) If you ever feel the button getting really stiff and hard to push. Robert usually sends a small ittsy bittsy baggie full of this silver gooey substance. This is called Noalox. Take out the battery of your Reo...underneath that button is a little firing pin thingy...and sometimes it needs a little lubrication. So, what I do is take a little bit of alcohol on a cue tip and clean it really well ( hold down the button while doing this ). The take another cue tip and put some of that Noalox on the end and while pushing down that activation button, apply that Noalox to that button underneath. Then work the button a few times before replacing the battery. This usually makes it alot easier.

2) Robert suggested way back about wrapping black electrical tape around your battery. Not only will this help with removing the batteries with ease ( leave a little lip overlap to grab )....it helps if your door is clanging a little bit...makes it flush.

convict3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
La Porte, Texas, United States
If your batteries begin to spark when you push the firing button down, don't keep doing it- your mod is shorting. Why is it shorting? It's not the REO itself...the likely problem is with your atty (atomizer). Take the atty off...put another one in and most likely your back to normal. It was a bad atty that was shorting within itself. If this happens, the hole Reo will feel like its corrupt but it's not.

This has happened to me once... Like an idiot, I changed batteries (thinking one was over-charged) and kept pushing the firing button and finally melted the button under the firing pin. The culprit was a bad atomizer...not the batteries and not the Reo itself. So, check your attys each time you change them out and make sure the center pin is in the center and not pushed in. If ever the small rubber (or is it silicone?) gasket between the center post and outer circle comes out or gets dislodged, the atty is toast- throw it away. It's not worth shorting out batteries and/or melting parts of your Reo because of a bad atty.

im thinking of getting the screw on voltage tester that cov has to easily check this with out having to get my fluke out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread