Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Looking for suggestions:

My Reo Woodvil is firing intermittently. Sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it quits in the middle of a vape. More often it's just not firing now.

My setup:
AWR IMR 18650 2000mah (3 button tops and 2 flat tops) tried them all and they are fresh off the charger. No rattling of batteries. Contacts cleaned. Spring looks good.
RM2 - 1 built with 30AWG 1.23ohms and 1 built at 1.02ohms. Both work on my 490 woodvil
Tried both with and without o-rings in the well. No difference.
Inside wiring looks good as well as dry.
I'm the adopted father but I think this unit was originally purchased new this year.
All has been good until last Wednesday.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? Thought I ask before I PM Rob.

Probably the firing button needs replacement, huh?

TIA

I have a feeling its the on off switch
Please put
a note with your email address and a brief description of the problem .Also
empty any e juice in the mod and remove the bottle .It helps to put a tissue or napkin around the tube

Reos Mods LLC
120 Ida Jim Rd
Alfred Me 04002

Alamedean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Alameda, CA
Batteries are metering around 4.2.
Have checked on/off switch and all looks good with the solder points etc.
Have multimeter but not sure how to use it for other than checking batteries. LOL
Tried a carto that works on the 490 woodvil but same hit or miss on its big brother.
Think I will be sending this off to the ModMaster on Monday.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Thank goodness for backups, eh? And yes, I have a backup for my backup.

Hope somebody won some money on the derby cuz I sure didn't.

canoeist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Piedmont, SC
www.mcleanweb.org
Batteries are metering around 4.2.
Have checked on/off switch and all looks good with the solder points etc.
Have multimeter but not sure how to use it for other than checking batteries. LOL
Tried a carto that works on the 490 woodvil but same hit or miss on its big brother.
Think I will be sending this off to the ModMaster on Monday.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Thank goodness for backups, eh? And yes, I have a backup for my backup.

Hope somebody won some money on the derby cuz I sure didn't.

You can test voltage from the center pole on the switch to the top of the battery to determine if the switch is functioning correctly.
If you can figure out how to check ohms, you can meter the 2 legs on the button (remove battery first) and see if it is functioning correctly.

Alamedean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Alameda, CA
You can test voltage from the center pole on the switch to the top of the battery to determine if the switch is functioning correctly.
If you can figure out how to check ohms, you can meter the 2 legs on the button (remove battery first) and see if it is functioning correctly.

For the purpose of trying to find new ways to use my multimeter I did as you said on the switch. Tested first on my 490 cocobolo and figured out that I had the correct process. Then I checked my troublesome Woodvil and found that its switch seems to be working fine. This leaves me to believe that the problem is in the button but I can't seem to wrap my head around your recommendation on testing that bad boy. Oh well, I learned how to test a switch at least.

Gonna play with it some more before packaging it up to send to Rob tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help.

Have a great Sunday!

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I don't know if this will help, but if anyone is interested in trying their hand at testing their REO for electrical problems, this is my understanding of how a REO works.

Note: remove the battery before you try any of this and leave it out.

Center pin of the 510 connection ---> firing pin

Firing pin ---> nipple end of the battery, when you press the firing button

(The battery makes the connection from the firing pin to the spring (when you press the firing button). You can use a piece of wire in place of the battery to test that, just make sure the wire is connected so you get a constant, steady reading. A short piece of wire with alligator clips on the 2 ends works well, although in all honesty, it's unlikely you have an intermittent connection in the battery itself.)

Spring ---> body of the mod. Depending on your finish/paint, you may have to hunt for a bare metal spot to stick your probe that isn't touching the spring.

Body of the mod ---> negative connection of the 510 (the outside ring, separated electrically by a small "ring" of silicone (or some such thing)

If all those readings are good and also steady, the problem is not in the mod, and the only things left are the atty to 510 connection, and the atty itself. The atty connects to the negative through it's threads on the outside of the base, and then to the positive through it's center "post".

Note that when you test resistance (or electrical connection), you're looking for a reading of 0 ohms. The reading should stay at 0 and not move around, although if you move the probes, that can make it appear as if you don't have a good connection. Keep a steady contact with the probes and the reading should be steady. If, when holding the probes steady, you occasionally see the reading jump off of the 0 ohms, that connection is where you're getting the intermittent misfires. Also note that when I say 0 ohms, I mean you should get the same reading as when you touch the 2 probes together. If, on your meter, that reads .5, then .5 is what you're looking for.

canoeist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Piedmont, SC
www.mcleanweb.org
For the purpose of trying to find new ways to use my multimeter I did as you said on the switch. Tested first on my 490 cocobolo and figured out that I had the correct process. Then I checked my troublesome Woodvil and found that its switch seems to be working fine. This leaves me to believe that the problem is in the button but I can't seem to wrap my head around your recommendation on testing that bad boy. Oh well, I learned how to test a switch at least.

Gonna play with it some more before packaging it up to send to Rob tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help.

Have a great Sunday!

Try this:
Remove REO battery.
Set meter to ohms (the numbers are something like 200,2000, 20k, 200k, 2000k) Set it to 20k or 20000.
The meter should read 1.
Touch the meter lead ends together & the number changes. This indicates there is a connection.
Now put the leads on the button poles, it should read 1 same as not touching the meter leads together.
Have someone push the button while you are holding the leads on the poles.
If the number changes the button is working.
Remember to take the battery out of the reo first!
I have in the past tapped the reo on a desk & gotten the button to work again,
Keep us posted....

Alamedean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Alameda, CA
Try this:
Remove REO battery.
Set meter to ohms (the numbers are something like 200,2000, 20k, 200k, 2000k) Set it to 20k or 20000.
The meter should read 1.
Touch the meter lead ends together & the number changes. This indicates there is a connection.
Now put the leads on the button poles, it should read 1 same as not touching the meter leads together.
Have someone push the button while you are holding the leads on the poles.
If the number changes the button is working.
Remember to take the battery out of the reo first!
I have in the past tapped the reo on a desk & gotten the button to work again,
Keep us posted....

Alrighty Bill, you taught me something new today. Did as you said, first on my working 490 Coco and yep that button did as you said it would. Secondly, I did it on my 650 Maple and 99% of the time the number didn't change. So as I said this one only works intermittently and now, thanks to you, I can reasonably conclude that the button is bad.

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread