Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy all, the fun just continues!

Today a ceiling panel was coming loose and on further inspection I found that the 60 year old tile was rotten above along with the cheap fiberboard holding it up to the rafters. It all needs to be torn down in the kitchen which means I also have to remove the kitchen cabinets.

I will NOT be doing any work for the next week, give or take. I have one repair that must be done when the part comes in, aside from that.... as Arnold famously said... "I'll Be Baaak!"

Stinkin' house is older than I am....and also falling apart.....

ARRRR! Keep on sailing, all you can do.

Cap

Reactions: MFToms59

damselle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2012
New England
So, the deliveries have arrived!. First of all, the mill down on the mini is such perfection, that I'm wondering if it's a mill down at all, or if you replaced it?

Now. Destroyer40? I just keep taking it up and holding it in awe. Seriously. It is so handsome. The panels fit so perfectly with the body in every way. Even the knot of the Ziricote, that it looks like one peice. The seams are seamless. And it feels so nice in the hand. It's my new fav. Thank you so much Cappy.

These will both be coming to Ireland with me next year.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Well, the end of the day here. I sure wish I could beat the habit of getting to bed at 5 am, but I've been doing it for years and can't seem to roll back the hours for more than a few days.

I tore out some of the cabinets and molding and it looks like I will have to layer another ceiling onto the old one. I think it's possible it's asbestos acoustic tile and I don't want to disturb it more than I have to, I will simply cover it up. Then I have to build a new false wall for the electrical wires I exposed today and then think about what to do about the ancient cabinets I'm tearing out.

40+ years of miscellaneous skills are coming in handy again.

Anyone wanna come help? Bring your own hazmat suit! Such fun...

Have a great weekend all, arrrr

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
Well, the end of the day here. I sure wish I could beat the habit of getting to bed at 5 am, but I've been doing it for years and can't seem to roll back the hours for more than a few days.

I tore out some of the cabinets and molding and it looks like I will have to layer another ceiling onto the old one. I think it's possible it's asbestos acoustic tile and I don't want to disturb it more than I have to, I will simply cover it up. Then I have to build a new false wall for the electrical wires I exposed today and then think about what to do about the ancient cabinets I'm tearing out.

40+ years of miscellaneous skills are coming in handy again.

Anyone wanna come help? Bring your own hazmat suit! Such fun...

Have a great weekend all, arrrr

Cappy, Living in a house that was built in 1900 myself, I can certainly feel your pain. Miscellaneous skills come in all too handy. What started out like this...

Lkq8UrJ.jpg

KkjPY2q.jpg

Turned into something like this...(in trying to keep things somewhat period to the building)

6lrp9R8.jpg

KMCmyCW.jpg

The satisfaction comes in, in knowing you are able to do all the work yourself...;)

Last edited:

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
Beautiful work Distorto! I really like the look of older stuff using todays tech. I too love getting my hands dirty and doing what ever needs to be done myself. The way I look at it, If I screw up then I call the expert in. I've learned so much from that.
When we moved from NYC to Florida 4 years ago we purchased a home that was only 7 years old. The problem was that the previous owners knew they were losing the house years earlier and let it run down.

I spent 4 months tearing apart what needed to be and bringing it up to the wife's approval. 14 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week but the end results were well worth it! The personel satisfaction that I did 95% of the work made it even better. The best part was the outside. We have 18 palm trees and numerous hibiscus bushes and of course grass. What the hell did I know. I was born and rasied in Brooklyn, we only had concrete!! :lol:
You learn fast!!

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy, end of the day and wore out. Cabinets are torn out, paneling off the concrete walls and got the first 4x8 up over the holes in the ceiling and even remembered to put up a vapor barrier.

Well, I've been a roofer, construction dude, ditch digger, peat bog dozer operator, tarred in basements and a bunch of crap I don't even wanna remember.

Then spent the best part of 2 decades in the military sitting on my .... and then worked electronics, again, sitting on my ..... 4 1/2 years here at RSM, yes, sitting on my .... for the most part!

After a couple days of this, I can't believe I used to have to work for a living, I'm totally beat.

Many days to go... arrgg

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Cappy, Living in a house that was built in 1900 myself, I can certainly feel your pain. Miscellaneous skills come in all too handy. What started out like this...

Lkq8UrJ.jpg

KkjPY2q.jpg

Turned into something like this...(in trying to keep things somewhat period to the building)

6lrp9R8.jpg

KMCmyCW.jpg

The satisfaction comes in, in knowing you are able to do all the work yourself...;)

You did an absolutely awesome job, I would love to have a kitchen like that myself. Well met!

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy me 'earties, happy FRIDAY!

Another day of rain here with thunderstorms thrown in for added pleasure!

Can't run the cnc machine, can't get outside to use the chop saw/tablesaw.... everything is at a standstill, again.

People are waiting on repairs and desk caddies and I'm fussing with my ceiling and playing video games. Glad I don't have a boss to yell at me.

Have a fine weekend all, take care!

arrr

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy everyone!

Interesting weather around the globe, either your getting flooded out or it's a drought that won't quit.

Ahoy, Cappy! Hope you've managed to find dry land! Question: how do I get on the list for a caddy? And, do you design them to order? My collection of squonkers is growing; they want a resting spot!

Actually there is no list. I mentioned last week that I was shutting down RSM to do some critical house repairs. They are taking longer than I anticipated but I will make desk caddies available to order again on the website pretty soon. I already have one person who has been waiting a while for his to get done (sorry!) but I should be able to make them available for ordering again soon.

And yes, I can do custom designs for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread