RSST Rebuildable Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Finally got the RSST wicked and coiled.

Decided to use this for experimenting on, and went with a SS rope wick wrapped at the top with some 400 mesh, about 5 wraps to try and act as a sort of juice store to see if i can avoid dry hits, and ran it just through the wick opening to try and avoid leaks. Seems to be working as its def. not leaking at all. The rope is 2mm 7X7. Its fairly tight-ish in the wick hole now, but not too tight, still slides in there.

Used 26 guage kanthal but wanted to try a lower ohm coil in it, so ended up at 0.49. 3/4 wraps and wrapped on the wick. Running it on my RA with a fresh battery.

Drilled out the air hole to 2mm, (meant to drill it out to 1.6mm, but picked up the wrong drill bit!) as it was just too tight for me at 1mm, and its now vaping like a champ. Lots of vapor and excellent taste, and not a dry hit in sight, and the filler hole plug is inserted in there. If I get some dry hits on it, I will just take that out as that should help, but like i said, so far, not a trace of one.

I think you can just about see the rope wick in the image:-
m4vzOW4.jpg

Very simple build that should last a month or two before i need to look at it again..very pleased with my bargain basement RSST, and think I will get another one just in case.

Edited to say that the 2mm air hole is actually very good. not too airy, but enough air to produce great vapor. Happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Good work Taff! Yes, the humble RSST is a decent genny and will serve you well. Nothing wrong with that genny at all. It has some nice features and it's cheap! I still have 4 of them and if I were not such a major DID freak I'd still be using them. I depended on them for a couple years and have no complaints about them, other than I don't care for the drip tip they come with. Meh....

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I use a single wick Pyrex RSST daily. I prefer a direct lung inhale so have modified the air hole to accommodate. I took a small needle file and filed the air hole to a vertical slot that is 1.3mm x 5mm in line with the wick. I use a 1/8" brass tube as a mandrel for a 28 gauge parallel coil (2 wires) with a resistance of .7. My wick is 200 SS mesh (tube) lightly torched where the coils sit. Long ago I found that the oils from your fingers will effect the taste and wicking ability of the mesh so after rolling the wick all handling is done with needle tweezers. I quickly torch the whole wick to burn off oils and then lightly torch the coil area to a blueish color, careful not to over heat as this will effect taste. After installing the coils I remove the mandrel and fire the coils to a red glow, let it cool a bit and reinsert the mandrel to straighten the coils. I do this several times until the coils are stable and straight. I then insert the wick making sure it is snug but not tight, drip a few drops of liquid on the wick and fire it up. I've been using this method for years and never have hot spots or an initial off taste that is common with mesh and don't have to do the genny tilt.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Decided that as these are now so low cost, and such a great Genisis tank that instead of buying spares for them, which are quite difficult to get, I ordered two more from Ireland. Two tanks shipped to me from overseas for less than £20 is too good not to get.

Will mean that at least i have some spares for them now, plus the spare tanks i bought, so should be ok for a while!

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Thought that i would just write some thoughts about rta's and Gennys here, and ramble a tad...

I have a few Atomizers, simple rta's like the ERlkonigin and the Ubertoot and a few others, and gennys like my fairly new DID, and the also fairly new to me RSST, and some cloned tanks like the Nextiny, In'ax Mkii, Origen V2Mk2...all excellent tanks, that once settled in and after a bit of fiddling with are excellent rta's, and that i have been rotating and using since i got them, and i have had some of them a few years now, and when i can afford it will purchase the authentic ones.

I was trying to make my mind up which was the one i actually liked the best. The DID is wonderful, works brilliantly and the taste is first class, as is the RSST, the ERlkonigin is just superb, that big tank lasts for ages also. The ubertoot is ok, actually its pretty good and the small gennys like the In'Ax and the Nextiny are awsome and give great flavor, but they do have small tanks that i seem to go through at a great rate of knots and am always filling up. The Origen is also wonderful, no leaks, great vapor production and simple to build.

So which one do I actually automatically pick up without thinking about it. I have to come down firstly on the Genesis side. Wicked properly with mesh or rope and a decent coil in there and they are simply superb, they really do blow the "Normal" rta's out of the water.

So its a bit of a toss up but the one I seem to find myself reaching for most of the time is the humble RSST. I just love this Genisis tank. I am also surprised and very happy that a tank that I paid around £8 for is as good as other tanks that are a whole lot more. OK the build quality is just not as good as the DID or the ErlK. But its good enough to do the job i got it for, and that's to vape on.

No Idea why... It just suits me i think. Excellent flavor, good sized tank, and I just love the way it vapes! An RSST Genisis rta is at least as good to me if not better than all the other tanks i have, and i am aware that some folks who have a whole lot more quality rta's than i do, and a lot more experience with gennys than i do, will probably disagree with me...and you know what that's the way it should be.

We are all different and like different things from our vaping. I happen to be a bit of a chain vaper and my tanks need to keep up with me all day long, as being retired, i have lots of time to grab a tank and vape away.

So there it is..some rambling thoughts i thought i would share with you folks here on a rainy, gloomy evening in Yorkshire UK, in between trying to get a new draft edited, and what do I have in my hand...yes the RSST..

That brings me to a question, what do you folks find yourself using most of the time?
Over to you!:D

Last edited:

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
RSST! four 1mm air holes in a vertical line,3mm hollow ekowool wick,solid stainless chamber reducer,2 ohm coil,home made mech, all day every day for several years now. found a sale on these a few months ago for $3.50 apiece so i have ten! (max vg blackberry)
good choice taff. very versatile and customizable.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Took a look round for a chamber reducer and saw this one:-

Product Details
Introducing the RSST-TCI from the mighty Fusions Mods!

-Top cap insert for the RSST atomizer.
-Reducing the amount of air in the chamber gives a warmer and more flavorful vape.
-Simply align air hole and press in
-No altering required

I have ordered one to try out as it was only £10, and if it does actually improve the vape from the RSST it will be worth it, although its very good anyway!

It was from here, (UK) RSST-TCI By Fusions Mods - ifancyone.com
if anyone else wants to have a look.

Will let you know if it does any good or not, but it should give more flavor with a smaller chamber i reckon...oh and its made of Delrin, time will tell, but here is Todds review of one.

Think I will rebuild this when this arrives.. I think the .49 coil i have in there right now is too low for this atty, so will recoil it keeping the same wick as its wicking superbly, and aim for around the 0.7 like the DiD and as Vaslovik suggested..if i go a bit higher i wont worry too much either.

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Well!...That must be the fastest delivery i have ever had from any vendor..ordered at 1.30 yesterday and arrived here at 09.05 this morning..

Anyway, once it was in my hands i decided to stick it in the top cap right away and give it a shot. I lined up the air hole to the gap in it and it slid right in, and tightly so it wont move about. Looks very well made, and I am happy with the quality of the reducer.

Only been using it for about an hour or so, but you can certainly tell the difference.. More flavor for sure, and it seems to keep the top of the atty cooler as well. The taste is denser and more concentrated if you see what i mean. I thought that it would mean a warmer vape, but so far it doesn't seem to at all.

Yes happy with it so far, and time will tell if it was a good purchase or not, but so far so good. Feels like it is a good purchase.

yosikadiri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Ronkonkoma, NY
reading about your experience is tempting me to get some clones myself...I have a DID, Bliss and a ZenU but the price of the clone is just right for guilt free experimentation. The store near me have clones of Cobra for 4.99 and rsst for 14.99, just have to decide which one to get. Anybody have experience with the cobra?

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
The good old RSST is ian excellent atomizer. good quality, easy to build on and good vapor and excellent taste, and if you use a chamber reducer in there it takes it to the next level. I now have 3 of them, plus lots of spares...just in case!

Not used a Cobra so cant help on that one sorry. Good luck if you decide to take the plunge...for the price i don't think there is anything better.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I have used the same RSST single coil model now for 2 years and it has been a really nice atomizer........I am fascinated by the genniss style atomizers........

My poor little plastic tank is getting so clouded up from strong juices that it begs for me to Retire it.............lol.........

It is a timeless atomizer in my opinon never goes out of style.....a real classic......................

Must order another one soon before they become Extinct............I tried the dual coil RSST and it works great..............but the single coil RSST with the "ming" drip tip

is like an old friend...................................

wallacecarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
I got one right after they launched, long ago lol.
Assuming you are referring to the smok.
It worked well but I had an issue with mine that very well could have been a defect. The issue I had was with the center pin. With this tank the center post screw is your 510 so it runs from the build deck all the way through the your mod. Mine didn't seem to seal correctly in the deck area and I would get small amounts of juice in the 510 of my mod. There was no other wetness but in that spot. Needless to say I shelved it and have not been back to it.
However it could be a defect as I said and I probably should have tried to get it replaced but did not.
With the resurgence of Genesis I have considered pulling it out and seeing if I could figure out the issue. My concern though is I use more expensive mods now and am not sure if I want to risk damage.
That was my experience anyway, I'm sure there are a few others out there that may never have had an issue.

I have and use several RSST's it's my go to device. I can't really tell any difference from the single coil unit to the dual coil on the dual seems no better as for leaking. Mine leak also it seems to stem from the seal on the center pin and the related spring. The spring on mine grow/are weak and you can't really tighten the center screw much or the 510 pin connector will protrude out of the device. The spring loses its resistance causing the seal to no longer seal this is more so on the glass models with no bottom dish part. Doubling up or swapping out springs is all that really works.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Thanks for the post mate.

I still use the RSST a lot of the time. Its still a stellar vape, and i enjoy it. Its has its problems like you said above here, a little leaking, not a lot, but i do get a trace on the bottom if its been sat for a while. Not anything that I worry about much to be honest.

Not tried the dual coil, as I do prefer a single coil. I actually don't like my vape to be too much...if that makes sense... I have not long sold an In'Ax 16 as it was so small the vape was really concentrated and I didn't like it as much as my 22 mm attys.

So far no problems with the spring at all, but if i do get any of that, I will make a quick trip to our local hobby shop and get some small springs that will do the job, either that or the hardware store anyway..

Yes, the RSST is a super atty, simple to build on and it just works.. I like mine a lot. They just keep on delivering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread